Monday, September 11, 2017

Some Burlap, Some Lace, Some Bags and a Garland



I loved burlap WAY before it became popular. Many years ago (and I mean many), I used it for sewing and craft projects.  Back in the day, (this would be the late 70's) we could go into a local feed store and grab the big old burlap bags at no cost. One Halloween, I repurposed a couple of burlap bags and fashioned myself a cave woman costume for a college Halloween party. One bag was used to cut a one strap shift (dress) which I wore over a brown turtleneck and with brown tights because it was a cold night. I used additional burlap to make shoe covers that laced up with rawhide shoelaces. I covered a baseball bat (aka my club) with some more burlap and laced the bottom part of the handle with twine and rawhide. I blackened a couple of my teeth, teased my hair, added some dirty spots to my face and I was quite the prehistoric catch! It's been a love affair with burlap ever since! 

Burlap is such a durable, functional fabric and I like to keep a couple colors on hand. It has become very popular in home decor and fashion accessories and I love the different looks that can be created with it, from rustic to casual and even elegant.

This bag went together easily. The burlap is a deeper, almost golden brown than the usual, natural color. I used some vintage lace edging that I picked up on a fairly recent junkin trip. It was in a zip loc bag full of beautiful crocheted and tatted lace and edgings! Just look at it!


All this in one bag....


Happy face! :)


Happy dance!

Anyways, I had just enough of this pretty edging to go around the top of this tote and as you probably guessed, I used the remaining few inches on the matching zipper bag.




                                                           Inside lining and divided pocket.


                                            Matching lining in zipper bag and metal zipper.

                      The bag below is one I stitched up to match a tote I made some time ago.


I posted this bag in an earlier post. I used the same  fabric on the inside lining of the zipper bag.


Then a couple nights ago, I sat down and constructed a simple shoulder strap bag pattern in several sizes. I stitched up the first one night before last.  It measures about  10" x 11" if I remember correctly. I love it!


This particular size is perfect to take on a junkin trip, to yard sales or craft fairs--when you don't want to carry much in because you plan on carrying lots out....you know what I mean. I like hands free shopping and only bring necessities with me.....like cash, checkbook, and my credit card! This will easily fit all of that plus your wallet, phone, etc.


The long strap is constructed from fine wale corduroy. It can be tied in a knot and carried as a handbag.


The lining fabric is a beautiful bold floral and I wanted to add a piece of it to add a little color and interest to the outside of the bag without taking away from it's simplicity.


Here is some of that beautiful lining I told you about. The colors are rich and vibrant. I just happened to have a button the exact color! Good thing I practiced using the button hole foot a few weeks back! My sewing machine needs to be serviced and is presently sitting in the trunk of my car so a couple of weeks ago I bought a Heavy Duty Singer to have on hand for those times when my other machine is not in service. I used my new machine to sew this bag and I am not in love with its plastic button hole attachment. I can't wait to get my other machine fixed! The button hole was easy enough to stitch but my button did not want to sit properly in the attachment because it was too thick.


This bag has an inside pocket made from the red corduroy. The little patch is stitched on with a zig zag stitch which adds to the casual look of the bag.  Mixing fabric textures is fun to experiment with and in this case,  the burlap, corduroy and decorator fabric all compliment each other nicely.


Here's my pile of burlap bags! I've got other projects in progress too! I am hoping to get some more fall decorations made too! but while I'm here I will share one last project that used a bit of burlap.


I made a shabby garland with some fall colored cottons, painter's drop cloth, burlap, raffia and tulle. I made raffia bows for each end but it was tough getting it all in one photo.....and the lighting was bad.


I am making one more for the other doorway in the room.  I was really hoping to hang some over my windows too but I don't think I will have time to make three more!

Well that's a wrap for now! More later! 

Prayers for all affected by the hurricanes.

Goodnight friends!

28 comments:

  1. I love how you combined the natural rough burlap with the delicate lace. They remind me of my husband and myself . . . so opposite in every way and yet combined turn into something quite outstanding. We tell everyone that neither one of us is all that great, but put us together and we make one pretty smart person, LOL. It's wonderful that you found that bag of lace. I'm sure that someone collected all of that through maybe even years and treasured that little bag, thinking that they would put it to good use one day . . . and then for one reason or another it didn't happen and it ended up in a thrift store that you just happened to go into. I believe that everything happens for a reason and whoever collected that lace would be very proud to see what you are doing with it :)
    I'm back because I love your blog!
    Connie :)
    P.S. I enjoyed reading about your burlap cave woman costume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Connie! Thank you for visiting again! Lol, my husband and I are polar opposites and joke about the same thing, although he would probably tell you he is ever so slightly the better half!

      It is interesting to see what winds up in thrift shops, antique shops...I am always a little taken a back by family photos that somehow end up there. Such misplaced treasures! That's not where I want my photos to end up. I was very happy to find this bag of lace though! It will be lovingly used on many projects as there is so much of it. :)

      Have a nice week! It's a gorgeous day here!

      Delete
  2. You find the best lace while thrifting, Linda, and you always put it to good use. Your burlap bags are so pretty and the embellishments are perfect. Your shabby garland is so perfect for Fall. I always enjoy seeing your creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitty,
      Thank you, I keep my eyes open for nice packages of vintage lace! hoe all is well, will be stopping by later to catch up on anything I missed on your blog!! Take care!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Linda...these pieces are beautiful! I love the lace and burlap together....and love to sew - can't wait to try this project. A new friend in our new building stopped by yesterday with some cookies in a fall fabric holder she made...we found we both love to sew. I will be sharing this post with her...thank you for the great ideas !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda...Love this idea and plan on sharing with friends who love to sew, too! I found you because you left a comment on my blog, but I had not checked it until now as at that time I was up to my neck in moving CHAOS! Finally unpacked and have my sewing machine all ready to go ! Have a great week - Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the juxtaposition of the rough burlap and pretty lace. Love the garland, too. I'm still trying to figure out how to decorate for fall with pink, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Deborah, I have seen plenty of fall decor with Pink!!! Go for it but please share with us!!! Thanks for your visit and sweet comment! Happy fall!

      Delete
  6. Oh Linda! I was just looking today for a pattern to make a cell phone purse. My new cell phone isn't working in most of my pockets - too big - and plus women's clothes never have big enough pockets anyway. So I am very interested in your little bag purse. Are you selling it? I would be interested! You do have a way of finding some great deals with lace. I love burlap and lace together, they indeed are like polar opposites but together they make something really special, much like what Connie said in her post! Always a joy to visit with you and see what your talented hands have been up to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn,
      I sent you an email regarding the pattern. Hope you got it!!! Thanks for stopping by and for your nice words! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Linda...found your comment on my post and so glad ( or should I say SEW glad) to check out your blog. I have been in moving chaos since early August and just found your comment - but now my sewing nook and machine are set to go and I can't wait to try these ideas. Have a great week - www.ournewvista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,
      Glad to hear things are more organized for you in your sewing nook. (I wish my sewing room was organized. I make such a mess when I sew!) Can't wait to see what you make! Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. You did it again, beautiful bags, I love the lace with the burlap and wow you found a lovely bag of goodies for your bags and other sewing projects! I love what you have used for the lining of the bags too!
    So love that shabby garland, looks great with your sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie,
      Thank you Connie! I've been trying to get some sewing done but you know how life is!!! It just keeps happening....slowly I'll get there! Just so much going on! I'll be by to catch up on your posts! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. Wow, so many beautiful projects Linda! I love the darker burlap you used and combined with such gorgeous lining fabrics. And lucky you to find this bag full of vintage laces, enjoy dear! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wen! I never turn down a bag of lace. If I see it, I grab it! Have a nice weekend! xx

      Delete
  10. I saw this on IG and loved them then, and love them now!

    Your cave woman costume sounds wonderful and very creative Linda. Do it again this year ;).

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol thank you Doreen. I just may bring back the inner cavewoman in me for Halloween this year!

      Delete
  11. You have a beautiful blog! I love your tea cups and your bags. And those Paris pillows - Beautiful! I am now following you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and for leaving your kind remarks!!! Really appreciated! :)

      Delete
  12. You make burlap beautiful, Linda! I love the rustic and soft together :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so pretty Linda! I don't really sew but I can see that you are a perfectionist.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very happy face here, as I gaze upon your pretty burlap bags. And....all that gorgeous lace, it is all just perfect. Such beautiful bags, Linda. The garland is a vision. So very happy to have visited your lovely burlap and lace place, lovely Linda. You and your gorgeous imaginations always bring a smile to my day.

    ReplyDelete