Monday, July 31, 2017

A Page Turned


Last weekend we celebrated my birthday. My youngest daughter arrived Thursday morning from Rhode Island, my middle daughter arrived Friday morning from Martha's Vineyard and Saturday morning my oldest daughter and son-in-law drove up from Boston for the day. We all went out for a nice lunch and then we went back to our house for cake and ice cream. It is always nice to have all of the kids home on the same day which is not always easy given their busy schedules. I enjoyed the day  so much and did not waste any time ruminating on how fast I am flying through my 50's.

It was a nice few days visiting with my daughters. Sunday my youngest headed back to RI and I hopped in the car with my middle daughter to go spend a few days on Martha's Vineyard. We had a leisurely drive down, stopped at some stores--Christmas Tree Shop, Trader Joe's and grabbed a bite to eat along the way. We drove onto the 7:30 ferry and headed upstairs to sit outside on the deck. Once we started moving it was a little bit chilly but it was a gorgeous evening and we enjoyed watching the sun sink gracefully into the sea.


The weather forecast was not promising but I did not let that dampen my spirits. I was looking for some relaxing time away. I had gone that Tuesday unexpectedly to the hospital for occipital nerve blocks to the back sides of my head for unrelenting headaches. I had been having one headache after another since Easter but they were getting longer, more intense and more debilitating. Monday I was down for the entire day so I gave in and called the hospital Tuesday morning and they got me in right away. I was skeptical but I noticed results right away. The next morning I woke up with no sign of a headache. Normally I would awaken around four or five in the morning with pain so severe I would have to get up quickly and begin my ritual of trying to stop it dead in its tracks or at least prevent it from becoming a day long event. So it was indeed strange to wake up the first morning after the injections and not feel any head pain. I spent the next four days trying not to overdo it, afraid that I might make a wrong move and somehow cause the headaches to come back.

The first night on the island,  I slept so well. The windows were open, it was raining ever so gently, with the nicest breeze.The sound of the falling rain, wind and one very pouffy, cozy comforter lulled me into a deep sleep.

The next day it poured. We braved the rain for a while, dodging in and out of the little shops in town. We ate lunch out and then decided to go back to her cottage because the rain storm was now more of a monsoon and my raincoat was soaked through. We curled up in her living room under the comforter and watched episode after episode of A Handmaid's Tale. Later in the evening my daughter baked us some fish and we enjoyed some wine and turned in early hoping for better weather in the morning.

The next morning we went for a long walk, did some shopping, and had a nice lunch. That evening my daughter treated me to my birthday dinner. We went upstairs to eat at the outdoor bar overlooking the water. It was beautiful. The sun was out, clouds were clearing and it was nice and warm.



My daughter sitting at the bar


Lobster Risotto 


I enjoyed the best lazy-style lobster dinner that I have ever eaten in my life! It was beyond delicious! And for entertainment we got to enjoy another sunset right before our eyes as we dined.







After the clouds moved away, the moon appeared in the sky. I really was in no hurry to leave. It was very relaxing sitting outside by the water.

The next morning my daughter dropped me off at the ferry for a 9:50 boat. It was a spectacular day and to say I was sad to be leaving was an understatement.




I dragged my overstuffed suitcase rather begrudgingly onto the boat and headed back to reality. It was a much needed restful few days and I got to spend some time with my daughter before she heads off on a two week Alaskan adventure in early August.

I got home last Wednesday from Martha's Vineyard and here it is the following Monday and I am still headache free.....I stopped being so fearful about overdoing it and in fact moved my piano into my living room yesterday, vacuumed, washed all of my living room windows and curtains and felt only a slight twinge of pain while looking up to rehang my curtains. I am hopeful that I have turned the page and entered a long and pain free chapter in the story of my life. So far, 58 is looking good.....this quote that I found on Pinterest sums it up nicely.....

"There comes a day when you realize turning
the page is the best feeling in the world,
because you realize there is so much more to the 
book than the page you were stuck on."

Taryn Malik



Have a wonderful week. It's a gorgeous, sunny, last day of July here in NH! Enjoy!

25 comments:

  1. Linda, what a wonderful post here! I'm so thankful to hear the news of relief from your headaches. Just in time to have a lovely birthday celebration too. The photos of the sinking sun are delightful and the lobster dinner plate is pretty spectacular too. I've never been to Martha's Vineyard so I loved seeing these pictures. I'm glad your return to real life didn't bring back the headaches.

    Happy birthday, Linda,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dewena! I had the best weekend and extended weekend celebration! I love being there and plan to go again in early fall. The tourists have gone home and the towns are more enjoyable to shop in but it is still warm and beautiful on the empty beaches. Honestly I don't even mind being there in rainy weather but it is nice to walk on the beach and hike through the woods in sunny weather. It is a charming place for sure! So happy you stopped by, have a lovely week! Linda

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! We are the same age. :)
    What a spectacular birthday and pain free, praise the Lord!
    I so enjoyed you gorgeous photos, Linda.
    It's been awhile, and I enjoyed visiting here tonight.
    Thank you for your encouraging comments in regards to my dear mom, much appreciated.

    Much Love~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debbie! It was a great day! Of course we're the same age--we almost live parallel lives!!! Glad you could stop by, I know you are very preoccupied right now. Think of you every day. You are also very welcome. Keeping you in mu thoughts and prayers...xo

      Delete
  3. Oh Linda, Happy belated Birthday wishes to you, sweet friend! I am so happy to hear that your were headache free while on your getaway with your daughter. What a wonderful time you had on Martha's Vineyard, and the photos of the sunsets and the food had me hoping to go there one day. Enjoy your week, hopefully free of pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kitty! It really was a nice get away, problem is I want to get away again to the same place! you really must visit some day....let me know when you do! ;)

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday sweet friend. It sounds like you've had such a good time with your sweet family. And that's such good news that you had help with your pain. What a difference it makes to feel good and be able to do what you need...and want to do. Try not to over do it though and enjoy your week! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, I appreciate any time I can be with my family. We have had more get togethers this year than ever before and I am grateful for that!!! Yes, I had one day that the headache returned--the day after I wrote this post--but got rid of it applying lots of ice and pain relievers. No headache since!! Another week has flown, enjoy the rest of the week and have a great weekend! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Linda looks like a fabulous get away and so glad you are feeling better. Enjoy the new week ahead.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday ! 58 ain't too bad 😊 Glad you are feeling better . Love the pictures and enjoyed your post . Hugs and blessings , Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and lol! It's bad enough...now that I have time to really think about it! Just joking! Thanks for visiting! Hugs and have a wonderful weekend! We're almost there!

      Delete
  7. Hi Linda, I truly enjoyed this beautiful post from your time on Martha's Vineyard and with your daughters. Happy Birthday to you and many more wonderful times ahead celebrating with your family. I'm so glad you are doing better with those awful headaches. I know how bad they can be. I get migraines now and then but not everyday like you describe. It's a blessing you found help for better days of no pain.
    All you photos are lovely and those beautiful nights, for dinner looking over the sea, is gorgeous.
    Memories to last forever. We all face those milestone birthdays don't we? Embrace the time and enjoy every moment my friend.
    Have a wonderful week pain free!! Hugs and blessings. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your visit and lovely comments Celeste! Yes, I remember that you have had migraines in the past....I can totally sympathize! I put off the nerve block out of fear mostly--turns out it was not terribly painful and it worked wonders! The Vineyard is a beautiful place to rejuvenate! Can't wait to go back! But yes, until then, lots of memories and photos! ;) Happy to hear from you! xo

      Delete
  8. Happy belated Birthday Linda!!! I am so glad to hear that you have finally found relief from your terrible headaches!! How wonderful to have all the kids come home for your big day! IT sounds like a most wonderful time away at your daughters, and how wonderful to enjoy all those beautiful sunsets on the water, there is just nothing better!! Hope you continue to go without those headaches and enjoy the rest of the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie! AS you know, it's an adjustment once the kids are grown and off on their own...isn't always feasible to get together for celebrations! We made it happen a few times this year already....always wonderful when it works out! Enjoy the rest of the week! :)

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday! It sounds like a wonderful few days, especially as you were able to enjoy them pain-free. Martha's Vineyard is beautiful; I visited there several times as a child and would love to go back. And that lobster looks delicious! Praying you remain pain-free. xo Deborah ps just saw the beautiful teacups you got -- score!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah,
      Thank you!!! MV is a beautiful place to visit....I think I could live there! Away from the touristy places, it is so very quiet, so peaceful! Of course being completely surrounded with water is not a bad thing either! Ah yes,my new teacups....an incredible bargain. If I told you how little I paid for them you would never believe me! ;)

      Delete
  10. Linda,
    I am so sorry to hear that you have been suffering like this. Headaches indeed can be debilitating, so thankful that you now have relief and can "live," again.
    It is rare in our home anymore to have the kids all together. They have scattered across the country and the older ones are so busy with their own children now that time is spent meeting their needs.
    So happy for you that you had yours home and then had this very special time with your girl.
    I cannot imagine living in an area with such beauty!
    Thinking of you and sending sisterly love,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jemma,
      Thank you for your kind words "sis", so appreciated! Yes, your kids are scattered but it is nice that you can go to them when they can't always go to you!!! I did have a very nice time and it's always extra special to that have one-on-one time too! Hope all is well, I imagine that you are out in your garden today talking to your flowers! ;) xo

      Delete
  11. Happy Belated Birthday too! This aging thing is so enlightening and freeing, enjoy it all!
    xo
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post... LOVED the quote at the end. Perfect as we spend our last week in our home before moving/downsizing to an apartment home in a lovely retirement community. Perfect sentiment - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your visit to my blog. Always nice to meet new blogging friends--actually its really the best part of blogging I think!!! Glad you enjoyed the post and that the quote was timely for your current situation! I'll stop by to see your blog in a moment! thanks again! Linda

      Delete
  13. Thank you for a beautiful post. Love the quote at the end as we pack up our home and move to a downsized apartment home in a beautiful community. Great thought to remember as we move through life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated Birthday - lovely photos of your time with daughter. Glad you are head-ache free, too. x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen! Hope you are having a great week! x

      Delete