Friday, June 30, 2017

You Win Some, You Lose Some


Good morning friends and happy Friday! Hope you are all well and enjoying some summer weather and activities! It's a tad dreary here today but after the day I had yesterday complete with a headache from hell, the lack of bright sun is a good thing for me today!

Today's post is titled You win some you lose some....so I'll begin with the win!

You may have noticed my teacup shelf above! ;)  I have been hunting for one of these for over a year. I have found a few that have been refinished in various shops but always in the wrong color. I have added my name to  call lists in shops that told me they would call me if they got one of these shelves in. No calls!

So one morning as I headed out on a junkin' trip with a friend, I told her my main mission was to find a teacup shelf and that was really the only item I was interested in! We arrived at our favorite shop (about an hour's drive) and walked in the front door. As I turned my head to the left, I saw this shelf sitting up quite high on a display and I really could not believe my eyes. We looked at it, the price was right, $40, but it was so large. I wasn't quite sure if it was too wide for the spot I had in mind in my dining room. We both agreed I should grab it so luckily the woman that owned the booth was standing right there and she got it down for me and put it up on the front counter so I wouldn't have to lug it around.


Mission accomplished!!!

Now the only problem was that we can easily spend 3 hours in this particular shop and I found the item I was looking for in the first minute.....hmmm, what to do with the 2 hours and 59 minutes left?????


Well, I found these two little beauties and as you can see, they came home with me. You can even see them sitting on the shelf. These dessert sets were in a locked case marked 40% off so I could not resist!


This set, marked Haviland, Limoges, France, is so pretty. Though it isn't my typical, edged in gold teacup, I fell in love with it and knew I had to add it to my collection.


I love the dainty floral print and scalloped edges. The shape of the teacup is sweet as well.


Then there was this dreamy teacup and dessert plate! I love the aqua color and the pink roses! It's Victorian Bone China, England.


I am going to use these! In fact, I have already used this one!


The last thing I grabbed at this shop was this pretty platter and set of four dessert plates because it was a clearance item and only $5.00 for the 5 pieces. How could I resist?

I don't think I bought anything else that day but I was so very happy with my teacup shelf purchase! I was not sure if I should paint it or leave it as I found it. The stained finish is beautiful and in excellent condition and I do have other dark wood in my dining room. So for now, I will leave it, as I found it in all it's glory!

Now for the lose......


So yesterday I was finishing up some final touches on this bag (made using Janice Pope's 2 hr Purse Pattern) that I had stitched up the night before for my ETSY shop and I decided to do one last ironing job as it had gotten a little wrinkled after sewing the button on.


I should have left well enough alone....truth be told I probably should not have even gotten out of bed yesterday morning. In the middle of the night I felt some familiar twinges of pain in my neck which usually signals me to get out of bed immediately, go downstairs and grab an ice pack and sit on the couch till the pain subsides. But I ignored it because I was too tired to get out of bed. So I woke up with a doozy of a headache that persisted all day and even into the evening.


I was bound and determined to finish this bag before an early afternoon commitment. So I was almost done, not feeling good at all, the phone rang, I answered the phone and it was a call that took way more time than I had, then my dog barked to go out (mind you I had already taken her out twice and all she did was sniff around the yard) and by now I was feeling very rushed, I ironed it and left the iron on the straps a little longer than I should have....I scorched and melted the straps in a few places. The outside fabric is a woven rayon and I still had the iron set on cotton. RUINED!


On top of my headache, I was heartsick! Talk about adding insult to injury....


I guess I didn't really get a great shot of the damage, I was actually able to scratch off some of the damage on the straps.... and I suppose someone unsuspecting might not even notice, but I know it's there. I guess the silver lining is that I now have a new hand bag. It still needs some ironing touch ups in a few places but I am not going there today......


It could have been worse I suppose. I could have rendered it damaged beyond use. So in this case, I guess my loss was really my gain...... at least that is what I am telling myself so that I don't cry! Well, I am off and running, got lots to do today so.......

Have a wonderful holiday weekend friends! Enjoy!






12 comments:

  1. I feel your pain re the bag BUT the fact you have a beautiful new bag is a wonderful thing. =) Love your new teacup shelf. All your pretty teacups looks so pretty sitting on it. I am in love with that Blue Limoges beauty. It is such a pretty design and shape. What an amazing shop you visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I rarely sew for myself so I have been enjoying my "new" bag! Yes, I love that cup too! Of course, it found a place on my shelf! It really is an amazing shop, very low prices. Cannot wait to go back! Thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  2. What are the chances of finding what you were looking for so early on in your search. It does look like it is in very good shape and your cups look terrific on it. Wow the details in the first up is just amazing and so unique, I can see why you picked that one up, and how doesn't like anything Victorian so that was a great buy also!!
    So sorry about your mistake with the purse, I totally couldn't see anything wrong but I do know what you mean it makes you so sick when you are at the very end to make a mistake, but you do have a lovely new purse now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I wasn't expecting to find it right off the bat either, especially since I had been there a couple weeks before. It was meant to be I guess! I absolutely love it! Yes, I was a little heartsick over the bag but I am using it and the damage isn't so much visible now but you can feel the stiffness of the fabric in a few spots. Live and learn....

      Delete
  3. Wonderful teacup shelf! Gorgeous collection!Delighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have been admiring your beautiful teacups and table settings too! You have quite the collection! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Your teacup collection is wonderful and looks so pretty in your new shelf! So sorry about the bag, but it sure is pretty and sometimes fate gives us 'gifts' we didn't plan on! I get migraines so I know how it feels. I hope you are feeling better now. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Karen,
      Thank you! It was a much needed addition as i had most of my teacups packed away to keep them safe. Now they are all out in the open and I can use them when I please! Feeling so much better, THANKS! Sorry to hear you are a fellow sufferer!!! You are right, fate does give us gifts! I have to say that I have been enjoying my new bag! Hugs! Linda

      Delete
  5. Good Morning Linda,
    Such a stunning teacup collection and the colors are as a dreamy as an afternoon at the sea.
    I am very happy for you and that you found your new shelf!
    Hopefully you are feeling much better today. I used to get migraines in my younger years and they certainly cause a girl to struggle.
    Your bags are beautiful and I cannot see the scorches!
    Hugs,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Jemma,
      I just sent off an email to you! Yes, headaches can be a struggle. But, life must go on....just some days without me! I have had a few days with only minor troubles so grateful for that! I am using the bag, I cant see the scorches either. I was able to scratch the black off and it doesn't show at all. You can feel it though if you rub your hand over it. Still I love it! My teacup shelf was a lucky find. I can't get enough pretty teacups!! LOL! enjoy the day! It's another beauty here in NH! Hope it is there too! Hugs,
      Linda

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to find that lovely treasure of a teacup shelf, Linda, AND those beautiful trio sets and the platter and dishes!!!!
    I am so sorry to hear about your not feeling well, and then the ironing mishap on the handles. The good news is that you have a darling purse! I hope you're feeling better now and enjoying those new dishes.
    P. S. I spotted the teacup I sent you from the exchange...so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kitty! Yes I have enjoyed my new bag...wasn't planning on it but as it turned out it was a plus for me! Just saw Stephanie's post that you, she and Debbie got to meet. How wonderful! I love the photo she posted.....3 great gals!!! (hoping to meet you all!) Hope you are enjoying your visit!.....glad you spotted your teacup, almost center in my shelf. I actually had a couple cups but their saucers were too large to fit so there are still two I received in a swap that will need a larger shelf. Love them all! Enjoy the rest of the week and safe travels my friend!

      Delete