Thursday, March 23, 2017

Scones and Forgiveness


I've been bad. There I said it....I had a King Arthur Flour Vanilla Scone Mix package sitting in my cupboard since Christmas and I made scones yesterday and gobbled up two of them. I gobbled up the first scone as soon as I had taken them out of the oven and glazed them. It was hot, and the glaze was still warm and still oozy and well, it was YUMMEEEE!


We love to visit the King Arthur Flour bakery and store in Norwich, VT.  Check out their website here. The store is a bit overwhelming to me because I want one of everything....scone mixes, muffin mixes, cake and cookie mixes, gluten free mixes, lots of spices and many kinds of extracts, cocoas and chocolate, kitchen utensils and gadgets.....and so on.....There's a wonderful bakery and deli too  I love their brie apple sandwich with a cup of homemade soup. (No I was not compensated for promoting them--I truly love this place!)

There's also a large classroom to take baking classes. My husband and I are hoping to take a class together..... now back to the scones....


When my husband got home later in the morning, he smelled them the minute he walked through the door. I mentioned (the night before) that I might make scones and he said, "did you make them?" I smiled and said, "you want one?"  Of course he wanted one and then he twisted my arm to join him so I had to eat another.


This time I enjoyed it with a hot cup of tea.....and I used a plate. There was no time for a plate when I scoffed down the first one.


It tasted every bit as good as the first. Adding the raspberries was a good idea. I had both fresh and frozen on hand but I opted to add frozen berries to the batter so they wouldn't get all smushed up.

So, how does one fix a diet faux pas such as this? Yes, I am still on a Weight Watcher's Diet....well, I skipped lunch, I power walked in the grocery store and I ate a new favorite salad for dinner.


This is kale and romaine with quinoah, beets, roasted butternut squash, pumpkin seeds, cranberries and parmesan. The parmesan was supposed to be goat cheese but I forgot to get the goat cheese when I went grocery shopping earlier in the day. I was bummed because the goat cheese really is a wonderful addition to this salad....


My daughter introduced me to this tasty salad when she was home from school for a few days. She made this for my lunch a couple of times and I loved it!!!


Beets and butternut squash are favorites of mine but it never dawned on me to put them both in a salad. It's delicious and very filling. I didn't even give the remaining scones a second thought.....until breakfast today! So I had a sandwich for lunch with no bread :(

Yes, I'm having a hard time sticking to my lifestyle changes (aka diet) since we have returned to snowstorms and cold weather. I was fine right through the holidays and even through the month of January and part of February. But if this cold lasts much longer I'm going to have to dive into the Planet Aid box to retrieve my "chubby" clothes.....

Coincidentally, while power walking in the grocery store yesterday, I turned a corner quickly and nearly collided with a woman who was standing in the middle of an aisle in the magazine section. We both laughed, I said excuse me....she apologized for standing in the middle of the aisle and joked about how fast I came around that corner and I apologized and explained that I baked scones earlier and I was trying to undo the damage of eating one. She told me to just forgive myself. Eating a scone wasn't the worst thing in the world to do....then I confessed that I actually may have eaten two. She laughed, we talked about how hard we are on ourselves sometimes and by the time we were done talking, she had introduced me to her husband, given me the names of two books to read and most importantly she had convinced me to forgive myself! I took her advice! I think I am going to practice this more often.....

.....because.....



........these are in my cupboard.


24 comments:

  1. You were very, very bad. =) BUT.....how delicious do those scones look. They look as if they just came out of the bakery. Surely it's okay to fall of the "I-am-watching-what-I-eat" wagon, every now and then. Not only am I oohing and aahing over your delectable scones, I am finding it hard to contain my joy at the sight of your gorgeous teacup and saucer. What a beautiful colour and pattern. I would have to have more scones just to use that pretty set. I would imagine living in all that freezing weather, it would be hard to stick to the straight and narrow path of healthy eating. I would most definitely need more than a few scones to warm the cockles of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim,
      Yes they were delicious! That lovely teacup was gifted to me during one of Stephanie's Tea Cup Swaps! It's a 3 pc set and I use at least one piece of it almost daily! The plate is a perfect luncheon size...temperature wise it is looking up for us, it's in the high 30's and no wind...can wait for real spring weather though! Happy weekend my friend!

      Delete
  2. Every once in a while, you just have to! They look divine, and I would have indulged right along side you! Gorgeous photography!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea,
      Thank you, I used my phone for these photos....Yes I would agree with you on the "every once in a while" but in my case it's been a few too many onces in a while!!! :) I'm trying to get back on track....;) Have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  3. Yum! Hey life is short so enjoy the scones! King Arthur should hire you to take advertising pics for them. Your pictures look so beautiful and delish! Have a great Friday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris, I think photographing baked goods, especially King Arthur products, would not be a great idea for me, lol...snap one, eat one....get my drift!! Happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  4. What a cute story, Linda! Yes, you were too hard on yourself, as the Angel in disguise, in the grocery store, told you. How lucky you are to live so close to King Arthur Flour. I've told you before, how much I'd love to take a class there. As for your salad, it looks delicious. Your tea and scone look simply sunnnng on that dreamy plate and pretty teacup and saucer. How could you resist eating another scone?! Happy weekend, Linda! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitty,
      We are about 1 1/2 hrs from King Arthur Flour but it is minutes from a hospital that I go to every 12 weeks so we have started to visit there for lunch, a little shopping etc...they have some beautiful baking pans....I want to toss all mine out and buy new ones! If you ever want to head to VT I'd be happy to join you there to take a class...:) Enjoy the weekend Kitty! Oh, one other thing, I left something out of the story....but my "angel" was a close friend of our Weight Watcher group leader....another coincidence!!!

      Delete
  5. I love scones and it's something I can make without sugar...with just fruit. Sure looks good this afternoon. Thanks sweet friend for your prayers and sweet words of encouragement. They mean so much to me. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's true regarding the sugar...I love fruit in my scones anyways...naturally sweet! Hoping you have a restful weekend and that your hubby is comfortable....keep us posted!

      Delete
  6. Hi Linda, you had me LOL with this story. I say, forgive and let live!!! Glad you ran into that lady, who like I see Kitty said, was an angel in disguise!! You nearly bumped into her at just the right time!!
    The salad looks so good and those sconces are amazing. We have a Sprouts natural store here which also sells King Arthur products. They have so many delicious boxed goodies. Have a great weekend Blessings xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Celeste,
      I'm with you on the Let live....it's just hard to diet when so many "eating" occasions keep popping up and heaven knows I don't even need an occasion to just want to eat...I turn to comfort food items when it is cold. I should really move somewhere much warmer year round!! LOL! I hope you have a great weekend too and I bet you are enjoying your break!!! Take care, xo

      Delete
  7. Oh, this is so funny! Yes, sometimes we do have to treat ourselves! Those scones look too hard to resist! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      LOL, they really were very good....I found myself back in a scone situation today as my daughter came home for a bridal shower and we made 2 dozen scones for the brunch....savory cheddar bacon, and french toast....they smelled so good but I resisted.... boy I wanted one! Happy weekend!

      Delete
  8. Oh that does look good and to have one straight out of the oven had to be delicious. I know what you are saying about forgiving yourself, I have a hard time with it too. I try not to have the stuff at the house at all, and if I do go off the diet I have one thing when going out and can't bring any back home with me, LOL! but we do have to just let it go when we have a little treat every now and then that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie,
      Sounds like you have way more willpower than I do!! I used to be able to do better when I was younger but now not so much....I don't know what the difference is but it is not a good thing...I am trying hard to stay on track after some moments of weakness during this recent cold snap....luckily its warming up a bit! Have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  9. Ahahah ! You've been bad :) !
    Your scones looks so tempting, they must be truly yummy, darling Linda !

    Sending blessings on the remainder of your weekend
    with sincere thankfulness

    XOXO Dany

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are two scones and you think you were bad?! Girlfriend, I eat more than that in my sleep ;).

    I LOVE King Arthur, and I completely forgot they were in Vermont. We are about 1.5 hours south of the Vermont border on the western side, not sure exactly where Norwich Vermont is but you can bet your bippy I'm gonna find out!

    Your scones look amazing, and I bet your hubby is thinking he's one lucky guy....

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, now I'm quite hungry after looking at these photos. Your scones look amazing, my friend! I was bad too....I ate 5 Oreos tonight! {{sigh}}

    Thinking of you, lovely lady. Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun story, scones and pictures Linda.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda, it all looks so good. I just love the scones they look so tasty. Have a wonderful week dear Lady. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dieting is just the worst ever! I feel your pain. I'm trying to diet too, but it seems my husband is always involved with me falling off the path, lol... I had to laugh about him twisting your arm! Oh my goodness, those scones look so amazing! I think you need to have a tea party, invite some friends, make all your yummy goodies up, and just have one BAD day, but FUN! and then get back on track :) I'd love to come to the party, if I could, but we live just a few too many miles apart, lol! Hugs to you today dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMGOSH I'm trying so hard to loose some weight also. I'm glad I didn't just walk into your kitchen after you baked those scones I would have had to gobble 3 down. LOL
    I have gave up sugar now for 23 days and doing good however I need help with some good salads like you made. I have been a weight watcher through the years and it's a great way to eat healthy and loose weight

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! What gorgeous looking scones! Since you were so kind to visit me, I thought I'd pop in on you! What a lovely blog and what a cute story!! I wish we had a King Arthur Flour store near us! What fun! Hugs! Jina

    ReplyDelete