Friday, March 3, 2017

Petal Pouch Tutorial


Happy Friday everyone! This week sure flew by. But boy, don't they all! I promised a tutorial for these sweet little pouches that I posted a couple of weeks ago so here it is! Prior pouch post found here. This is so easy and a wonderful project for a beginner or for kids to try with adult supervision.


First, choose two coordinating or contrasting fabrics.....whichever you prefer. Two fat quarters works nicely or grab some fabric from your stash.


From your fabric you will need two squares cut the same size. I use 12", 15" or 18" squares depending on the size I need. Since I wanted to make the largest size, I cut two 18" squares from each of my fabric choices. You will also need coordinating ribbon (I used 3/8" wide grosgrain) and thread.


After determining the size and cutting out the squares, place the two squares right sides together.


Pin pieces together and stitch around the entire square using 1/4" seam allowance.....


Be sure to leave an opening to turn right side out....I left about two inches.


Trim edges and corners and turn right side out.


Iron and then top stitch. This step can be left out but I prefer the finished look of top stitching. If you do choose to skip the top stitching, you will need to hand sew the 2" opening closed.


This step requires a little measuring for the first few bags that you make, but after that you will be able to "eyeball" it. First determine which fabric you want to be the main fabric for your pouch. The other fabric will be the petals. The main fabric should be facing you. In this case, the small lavender print will be the body of my bag.

Next, measure the side of your square and divide by 3.  I believe I turned my corners up 5 3/4" from each side. (which leaves 5 3/4" between each corner.) Pin the corners in place.


Each corner will be stitched as shown, creating a casing for the ribbon drawstring. Since I used 3/8" wide ribbon, I stitched my casings at 4/8". Two pieces of ribbon will be passing through this casing.


Make the same casing using the same measurement, along the remaining three sides.


Cut 2 pieces of ribbon about 32" in length if you are using the large 18" square. (Cut 31" ribbons for 15" square, 30" ribbons for 12" square.) Take first ribbon, attach to large safety pin and fish it through the casings on all corners.


Make sure to keep ribbon facing one way--you do not want it to be twisted inside the casing.


When you fish ribbon through the next corners, again, check to make sure ribbon is not twisting.



Once you have the first ribbon through all four corners, remove pin and give a tug on both ends to give you some slack and either tie a knot or secure them so you don't lose the ribbon ends while fishing the second ribbon through.


Now take your second ribbon and safety pin and begin fishing it through the corner directly opposite where you began fishing through the first ribbon. 


Once you have the second ribbon successfully fished through the casing, pull on the second ribbon and adjust so ribbons are even. NOTE: ribbons should be opposite each other as shown in photo above. Tie knots to secure. Beads may also be added before tying the knots of you prefer.

Now turn the entire pouch right side out so that your petals are revealed.


Now, isn't that the cutest thing?


Pull the ribbons evenly from both sides to close the pouch. At this point I always iron the ribbons as they sometimes get wrinkled from all the tugging. I also add some tissue to help them keep shape. They look much nicer in a gift box this way.


This trio is the large bag (made with 18" squares) pictured in the tutorial and two of the smallest bags
(made with 12" squares.) You can use opposite prints when making a set.


Wasn't that easy? Takes less than a half hour to make the first one. After that, the next one might just take even less time. Whip them up to use as a gift, a party favor, gift bag, etc. Such a fun and easy project! Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Happy weekend everyone!

UPDATE! 3/6/2017
One of my blogging friends, VEE, (who blogs at A Haven for Vee) has already had sweet success stitching up a petal pouch of her own to store her cosmetics. You can meet Vee HERE and read all about it! Additionally, on her post is a delicious looking cookie recipe and some bowl cozies that she stitched up. They've been on my TO DO list for a while!



Partying at:

26 comments:

  1. Your petal pouches are the cutest.....and so pretty as well. An excellent tutorial, Linda, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim,
      Thank you! They are a lot of fun to whip up. Have a nice weekend. I trust it is still warm there. It was 10 degrees here this morning. :(

      Delete
  2. Well you know what I'm looking for and I think that this might work...but perhaps I need more closure with a drawstring top. Still, it's enough to give me ideas! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee,
      If this bag doesn't work, you should stitch up a round pouch. They close tightly. They aren't as quick and easy to whip up but definitely not too hard and would be perfect as they lay flat and the drawstring closes completely. Thank you for visiting this morning....it's so cold, perfect day to stay in and sew today! Take care and stay warm!

      Delete
    2. It's working great, Linda! Thank you, thank you. It has solved my dilemma completely. I even blogged about it today...

      Delete
    3. Well i'll be right over to check it out! ;)

      Delete
  3. Great tutorial Linda! These would make great little gifts for my sisters! Thank-you so much for sharing and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! They do make sweet little gifts and they can be customized so easily with different fabrics and of course little treasures placed inside! Enjoy your weekend too!

      Delete
  4. What a great tutorial, my friend. This would be a wonderful project for my granddaughters. I love that the little pouch can be a gift in itself or be used as a gift bag. Thank you for sharing!
    Happy weekend to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Kitty! Thank you! I totally thought of you as I was writing this tutorial. It would be a perfect project to make with your granddaughters. So, so easy and a lot of fun! If you make them, be sure to post! Have a nice weekend....xo

      Delete
  5. Love these Linda they are super cute.
    Happy Weekend.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris, thank you so much! Have a nice weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Linda, what a beautiful pooch and your tutorial is fantastic. You are so talented and this is incredible. Thank you for sharing the details. I would love to make a few for gifts. Wishing you a great weekend. Stay warm!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celeste! Would love to see them if you get around to making any....I am trying to stay warm. Dipping into single digits tonight :0
      XO

      Delete
  7. So sweet of you to share, I so love that fabric and your sewing is just perfect :)
    Hope your enjoying a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie,
      I don't know about "perfect" but thank you for your vote of confidence! I appreciate that!!! :) LOL! The weekend was crazy cold....things should look up by tomorrow! Have a good week!

      Delete
  8. I saw this post of yours the very day you published it, but just now I'm able to find the time to read it and watch with calm all the wonderful work you've done, my darling Linda, thank you for sharing it with us!

    Wishing you a most wonderful new week
    sending hugs and ever much love to you

    XOXO Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dany,
      Thank you for stopping back to take a peak at the tutorial! Two blogging friends have already made pouches over the weekend! Happy to share Dany! I hope you have a wonderful week too! xo
      Linda

      Delete
  9. Thank you , dear Linda, for your fantastic tutorial, showing with beautiful pictures, how to create your lovely pouches .
    Wishing you a wonderful week.
    xoxo, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorthe,
      So nice to hear from you and thank you for your sweet comment! Hoping you are off to a great week! Enjoy,
      xo Linda

      Delete
  10. I made one of your tulip pouches, Linda, over the weekend. It turned out so cute!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitty,
      I can't wait to see photos of the pouch you made! Did you see Vee's? She made one too for her makeup! I seem to be having trouble posting comments tonight....tried to leave on on your Key Lime Post and it didn't post. Then this one gave me trouble so had to do again. Sorry if you get two!!! xo Linda

      Delete
  11. I am going to make this pouch Linda! I love simple, quick and easy projects like this! Your tutorial is very easy to follow, and I will just need to get busy on it in the next day or two, maybe this weekend :) I have been having fun sewing lately, funny how I've finally gotten back into it after several years hiatus. These blogging tutorials are very inspirational :) Hugs to you today dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn,
      I noticed you have had your sewing machine out! You've done quite a bit of sewing of your own!Please share if you get a chance to make a petal pouch. They are a quick project. Hope all is well. Wishing you a wonderful weekend! It is soooo cold here! xo
      Linda

      Delete
  12. These are so sweet, Linda! I am visiting here from Vee's blog. I am thankful for the very clear tutorial and will have to give this a try. A friend made me a small one years ago to hold a necklace, and I always assumed it was difficult to make. This actually looks pretty simple now that I see how it's done. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, You are very welcome! Thank you so much for stopping by and for leaving your kind comment. Heading over to check out and follow your blog now.

      Delete