Friday, February 17, 2017

Strawberry and Cream Cheese Filled Cupcakes


Hope you all had a lovely Valentine's Day! This post is a few days late but things got complicated. The day came and went very quickly! It wasn't the day we had planned because we can't always predict what life will throw at you on any given day. Suffice it to say that we received some bad news that day and it pushed Valentine's Day aside in a not so gentle way. But I had baked these cupcakes the night before and despite the mood of the day, they were gobbled up and very delicious!


I usually make this treat as a trifle but since I was giving half of them away and did not have two trifle dishes, I opted for layered cupcakes. I've done it as a layered cake too but it did not travel well...


HOW TO MAKE:  You can use your favorite white cake recipe or even a white cake mix. I added almond extract to mine, about 1 tsp. Bake as usual.

Once cooled, slice off the crowns of all the cupcakes.

Next prepare the filling. The whipped cream layer is a combination of 1 carton of heavy cream, 1/3 C confectioner's sugar, 2/3 bar cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat) and 1 tsp almond extract. This delicious creamy concoction is then layered by the spoonful, below and above a layer of fresh sliced strawberries! After placing the crowns on top of the whipped filling, they can be lightly sprinkled with confectioner's sugar. Or if you are not toting them anywhere, some sweetened berries and juice and an extra dollop of whipped cream can be place on top and served immediately. It is a very pretty dessert!


 They are absolutely delicious too! I saw a couple of variations on Facebook and Pinterest. One recipe called for mixing the berries into the whipping cream. Another used a pudding mix. All of them looked wonderful! But since my family enjoys this filling I decided to stick with it.

Now on to some sewing:


I have been wanting to make some tea wallets using vintage graphics that I purchased from French Paper Moon--shortly after Christmas. (French Paper Moon Etsy Shop found here) I finally had some time to work on them and I love the way they turned out.


I made the blue one first. I used mostly lace embellishments on it with some ivory buttons. I edged the inside pockets in lace too.



Next I made the brown one using some brown ticking that I had in my stash.


It's always teatime in my opinion....


The last one I made was this red one with the sweet little teapot and flowers graphic. So pretty!


Inside view of all three....


I have several others in various stages of production.


I really enjoy using these pretty vintage graphics in my sewing projects. I think they add the sweetest vintage touch to just about any project. I've added them to totes, zipper bags, pillows, bookmarks, pincushions and now... tea wallets. Soon I will be showing you some wall art I've been working on using some pretty graphics. Stay tuned.

Well friends, hope you all have a wonderful weekend! I apologize that my Valentine's Day dessert post is so late. I am looking forward to some blog reading over the weekend to see what my blogging friends have been up to. I will also be posting photos of some petal pouches that I have been working on....Good night!





11 comments:

  1. Oh, these are so precious! Love the sweet graphics and the soft colors. The cupcakes look so delicious - thank you for sharing. Sorry about the bad news :( Hope things work out for the best. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, bad news.....I hope you are okay, Linda. Such pretty tea wallets. Each of the vintage graphics are lovely and I love the laces, ribbons and buttons you added to each one to embellish them. It is always a joy to visit you, Linda and see what sweet makes you have fashioned. Oh.....and those cupcakes look positively delicious! Have a lovely weekend, lovely Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that you had some bad news, Linda. I hope all is well with you and your family.
    Your cupcakes look so pretty and sound delicious. I have a recipe that you fill the cupcake by taking out the core and then frost them. I like your Ida because the filling is the best part!
    Your tea wallets are adorable. I love the vintage look and the embellishments. I hope you have a good weekend, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda, I'm so sorry your day had some bad news. Hope all is okay now. Your dessert looks so good. Such a great twist on a regular cupcake. I adore your darling tea wallets. What a beautiful design using different graphics. Very charming and what a great gift and to carry in your purse. You have certainly been busy and all your items are so pretty. Looking forward to your wall art.

    Have a nice weekend. Blessings always my friend, xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tea wallets are gorgeous! I'm off to look in your shop and put things in my favs! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Linda, these cupcakes look delicious, I may have to make these for our craft night so the girls can help me eat them :)
    I Love your little pockets they are beautiful, those images are just wonderful, and your embellishing of them is just outstanding, beautifully done!
    I am so sorry you had bad news on Valentine's day, I hope things are now looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little tea wallets are so beautiful, Linda, love them, so filled with sweetness, and oh your c akes, ,pure delight, I`m sure. I hope your bad news, have now turned, lighter ,dear.
    Dorthe, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your little sewing projects and those little cakes look so good. So sorry you got bad news sweet lady. Praying that you feel a peace from our Lord. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning, dear Linda. I trust you are well....? I am so sorry to hear you received some bad news - please know that you are in my prayers.

    Your cupcakes look truly amazing and almost too pretty to eat {{smiles}} And those tea wallets are simply lovely! The vintage graphics really make everything pop and your handiwork is extraordinary.

    Hugs and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear that you had bad news come on V-day! I do hope the taste your beautiful sweet treats helped in some way! I love the idea of this recipe, so easy to make, and pretty to serve! I love simple and amazing! I don't think I could eat just one, as strawberries and cream are a favorite of mine, lol!

    Your little wallets are amazing! I wondered where you get such pretty vintage pictures. I will slip over to the etsy site you mentioned for a peek. How do you print them on fabric? I think I may remember you talking about it in a previous post. I have gotten back into sewing this winter, which has been fun.... it has been a long cozy winter :) Hugs to you today dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of the best posts I've read in a very long time. The cupcakes look divine, and I love the adorable wallets. My girls would love them, too! I love that they are tea themed. You are so talented, My Dear!

    ReplyDelete