Sunday, February 5, 2017

Double Bagging It


Howdy friends! It's Superbowl Sunday and I am looking forward to the game tonight. After I am done writing my post I will be getting some yummy appetizers ready  for tonight's game. Go Patriots!

Last week I stitched up a pretty tote and it got me thinking (no, obsessing is more accurate) about spring! Not sure what it was exactly--maybe the color of the bold floral print against the pale aqua background, the light cotton fabric....I immediately started to picture vintage sheets hanging on the clothesline, billowing in the breeze....and then I could actually smell that smell that only line dried sheets have when they are being taken off the line and folded. Ahhhh, I cannot wait for spring!.....and now I want a clothesline!
(for sheets and towels.....not so much for clothes. I once had a very bad experience with a bee and a nightgown but that's a trip down Memory Lane you do not want to take with me! Just trust me!)

Anyhow, back to the bag.....


I used my basic tote bag pattern and because I was so in love with the fabric I decided not to do a darn thing to the front. No embellishments, no pockets to hide the pretty flowers.....nothing, nada! I also stitched up a matching set of zipper bags as usual.......



I used some scraps to make tags for the tote and the zipper bags.


I attached the tags with a pretty pink ribbon (though it looks red here, I assure you it is not)



The inside is lined with a coordinating pale aqua fabric and a divided pocket the runs the entire width of the tote. As you can see, the tote is very roomy as the zipper bags only take up some of the space in the left side of the pocket.


This tote was so much fun to stitch up. I couldn't wait to complete it so I ended up sewing into the wee hours of the morning to finish the set. I have another tote cut out and ready to go among about a million or so other things that need to be sewn. It's going to be a busy week for sure!

Another bag I wanted to share is the 2-hr Tulip Bag (by Janice Pope) I made for my mom for Christmas. She was going to get rid of a pair of barely worn, off-white corduroy pants and I snatched them right up because she had said that she would really like me to make her a cream colored bag. They looked perfect for the project and they were. I love her little bag!


This purse went together quickly and easily. The one thing I did not anticipate was the slight stretch to the corduroy so if I were to use a similar fabric again I would stitch the top of each bag piece (in this case there are 4) to prevent additional stretching. As it turned out I was lucky and there was no puckering when I stitched the stretch corduroy to the cotton lining.


Here it is hot off the press! I really love using this pattern and it's fun too whip up a bag from recycled pants. I have even used jeans!


I especially love how nice and wide it opens! It's always easy to find what you are looking for. My mom now has four of these bags. I have three myself!


Well, that's all for now folks! It's best I start popping some goodies in the oven. I am making some bacon-wrapped sea scallops and some "boneless chicken wings". I already sliced some cheese, have the veggies and dip ready to go and some jumbo shrimp for shrimp cocktail!

Wishing you all a lovely week ahead!

29 comments:

  1. Dear Linda, your bags are both adorable! Those spring colors are refreshing to be sure and that tulip bag is great! The corduroy looks real nice and would hold up well.
    Enjoy your game~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      So nice to hear from you and thank you! I am really looking forward to spring, not that it's been a horrible winter but I do love warmer temperatures and then of course everything else that comes with spring and summer! Love open windows and fresh air! Have a nice week Debbie! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh, Linda...your bags are perfectly gorgeous! Your creations are truly beautiful and visits with you always leave me inspired! Ah...how lovely to be dreaming of Spring! Such a delightful season indeed... I am thinking about the coming cooler weather and can hardly wait to begin an embroidery or knitting project once Autumn arrives! {{smiles}}
    I love the fabric you used for the tote bag - so cheery! And such an adorable zipper bag too! Lovely to stop by, Linda! Have a wonderful week ahead and lots of love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly-Anne,
      Thank you for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment. I am going to be catching up on my visits today! I am interested in working on my knitting and crochet skills--it's not something that comes easy to me :(. I hope you'll post photos if you do take on a knitting project. I'd love to see it! See you later today!!! Hope you have a nice week too!

      Delete
  3. Good Afternoon Linda, Oh I love your spring bag, it is so vibrant and such beautiful colours. Today the weather is very grey, so the colours on your bag have really have perked me up.
    I too love Spring and I have some little Snowdrops which have popped up in the garden. Hopefully Spring is not too far away.
    Congratulations to the Patriots, I have friends who live in Atlanta who sent us texts telling us how the Atlanta Falcons were doing. After our visit to Chicago, my husband loves watching American football. It helped that our son-in-law was able to explain the rules.
    Best Wishes to you.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daphne,
      Yes, we have had our share of grey days too so I think the colors perked me up as well....thank you! Oh, the game was stressful and exciting and I really thought for a bit that the Falcons were going to win. But the Patriots did not disappoint in the second half and boy did they turn things around. Thanks for visiting Daphne, nice to hear from you! Let's hope for an early spring! Linda

      Delete
  4. Linda your bags are so pretty. I envy you that you can sew. These are so sweet.
    Happy Monday. Glad your Patriots won.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ho Kris,
      So nice to hear from you!Thank you...I love to sew bags! You do know that you can sew too right??? Trust me, if I can, you can! LOL! ;) Yes, I was very happy with the win! Wasn't so sure earlier in the game! Both teams are pretty awesome! Have a great week....I'm sure I'll see you on IG.
      Hugs,
      Linda

      Delete
  5. Hi Linda, WOW what a gorgeous springtime bag with zipper pouches. I love the fabric. You are so very talented and every piece of fabric you touch turns into something so special. Love what you did with the corduroy fabric to design your mom's bag. Simply stunning. Congrats to your Patriots. What a game huh!!!
    Thanks for stopping by and your kind comments. I am always blessed by your visits. Have a great week.
    Hugs and Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celeste! So happy you stopped by! It sounds like you have been so very busy! 40 windows replaced!!! WOW! We did the first floor windows because I just couldn't imagine doing it all at once. It was so cold as it was late fall! Doing the 2nd floor in the spring when it is warmer. I will be glad when it is done! Yes, the game was crazy! But in the end, it was all good! :) Thanks again for your visit and very kind remarks! Always appreciated! xo
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Well your team won! What a comeback. I am not a football fan and was more interested in reading my book last night, but even I had to stop and watch!
    Your floral tote bag is so cheery, and does indeed make one look forward to spring. And your mom's bag is so great -- what a great way to recycle! Line-dried sheets, yes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah,
      LOL, yes, the Patriots finally won. I am not a huge fan of overtime or stressful games. I much prefer being ahead by 2 or 3 touchdowns at the beginning of the game. But it ended well! Thank you for popping in and for leaving your nice comment! I guess I am not the only one looking forward to spring. Take care, have a nice week!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Oh Linda that floral weather is just beautiful, and love the little bags with it!! That purse you came up with out of those pants is just wonderful!! That is great that you were able to reuse her pants for a bag, I do think how big it opens up is terrific!! I bet your mom was thrilled with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie! I enjoyed sewing with that cheerful fabric!.... almost as much as I love sewing new items from old items! I have so many clothing items that are like brand new but not now or ever going to be used again. Though I can't save all of them for repurposing, I do save cords, khakis and jeans. They make great bags! Yes, my mom loved her bag! Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy the rest of the week!

      Delete
  8. Your new bags are so beautiful! Looks like Spring with that pretty floral fabric. You've been busy my friend. I know how much time it takes to make these and put in all those extra details. Have a wonderful week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane! It's nice to be thinking about spring! You are so lucky to have nice weather year round! We had snow yesterday, freezing rain this morning and a nor'easter on the way for tomorrow...but spring is 'round the corner! I'm happy you stopped by. always love hearing from you! Hugs!

      Delete
  9. Hi Linda, your floral tote and matching zippered cases are just so cheery and fun! The tulip purse is also so cute, and what good use you made of the corduroy fabric from your mom's pants. You do such beautiful work, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitty!
      Hope all is well!! I'm so glad you popped in to leave your kind words as always! I appreciate it!! Yes, it was just time to work with some cheery fabric. But recycling fabric is rewarding in its own way and I enjoy doing that too. (especially if its vintage lace, doilies, linens, etc) haven't done any of that lately, so maybe it's time for a little of that too! Thanks again Kitty! xo

      Delete
  10. Good evening, dearest Linda! I always enjoy seeing your latest creations and your tote bags certainly didn't disappoint. They are simply lovely, my friend! You do phenomenal work.

    I hope you are well and enjoying the month of February. Thinking of you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephanie! So nice to hear from you and thank you for visiting and your kind remarks! Well, I am counting the days till spring but overall the winter months have not been so bad. I say that as a nor'easter is approaching after more than 24 hrs of snow and freezing rain...but they say it won't be too bad. We shall see I guess but every day (even if it's snowy) is one day closer to spring! Thinking of you as well my friend! xo

      Delete
  11. Hi Linda, what pretty bags you have created! I love that you make them for your Mom, too! Thank you for stopping by my blog for a sweet visit. I see we share a few blog friends! I posted the link to the crochet heart rug at the bottom of my post :) I hope you visit again. Your blog is darling. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      Thank you so much! And thank you for pointing out the link to your adorable crochet heart rug. I missed it somehow....I just love that rug. I'd love one in every room!!! I will definitely be by again. Happy to hear from you@ Hugs!

      Delete
  12. I love that tote. Oh my, what gal wouldn't love having it to hold all her goodies. Thanks for following me on my A Healthy Me blog. And,girl, I was tickled to return the favor!! Your blog is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, one can never have too many totes....I have quite a collection. Thank you for stopping by and for the follow. So appreciated! Linda

      Delete
  13. Cute, cute bags Linda! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am attempting to visit all the blog posts I have missed over the past several weeks. It was a pleasure to stop by and catch up!

      Delete
  14. Hello Linda, and thank you for your sweet visit to my blog, it was lovely to see you again, and to see your beautiful creations again. I surely am thinking spring, too, when seeing this wonderful bag you created, in blue and with the gorgeous flowers in pink , yellow and red tones, snow is here, so a little dream about spring is a good dream. :-) The one you made for your mother, looks so lovely, too, and such good use of the corduroy pants . You are a master Linda !! xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow what cute bags and love the colors.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous bags, Linda. I especially love the bright and happy Spring-like fabric. Those flowers on that pretty blue background do make my heart sing. You always fashion the most beautiful pretties. I too love the fragrance of washing that has been hanging on the line in the fresh open air and sunshine. There is nothing quite like it, is there.

    ReplyDelete