Tuesday, November 1, 2016

More Than One Santa


As I was snapping photos of my "hot off the press"  Christmas ornaments, I couldn't help but think back to the days when each of my daughters was tiny and excited about Santa's visit. Without fail, every Christmas one of them would ask for us to explain the multiple Santas we would run into at malls, stores or waving to us in traffic....."how come there are so many Santas", "is that Santa or one of his helpers,".....is that the real Santa Claus?" I tended to lean on the theory that Santa was too busy in the North Pole to come himself so he sent some of his best elves (helpers) to fill in for him...they never questioned my answer.....sigh.... I do miss those magical days....

I  have a very large collection of Santa Claus ornaments because I have always loved that "right jolly old elf."  Many years ago I made almost enough Santa ornaments to cover my entire Christmas tree and I still use them. This year I decided to come up with a new and improved pattern so that I could stitch up a few Santas for my Etsy Shop.

I am a bit embarrassed to say that I sat at my dining room table a long time trying to come up with a pattern,  Let's face it, it's a pretty simple shape, but I couldn't get the face pattern right....over an hour later, I finally settled on a pattern and started cutting some pieces out of red fabric. I used off white canvas drop cloth for the face which I attached with fusible web. I put one Santa together first to see if I liked it....and I did! As it turned out, the shape of the face did not even matter because it is completely covered by the beard. So I made some more!


I used tassels on the hood that I removed from a vintage tablecloth....I knew they would eventually come in handy for something!


A sprig of Christmas greenery with glitter adds a festive touch to his velvet-like coat and hat.....they are about 9" tall x 3" wide.


I think they are all starting to get annoyed by all the photo taking...


Here a couple of Santas are purposely looking away from the camera! So I think I will call this photo shoot over and done with!


Once I have all of my red Santas done, I'll be making some Santas out of green velvet with gold and ivory trimmings. I hope to start some this evening. I will share them at a later date.....

Good night friends! Enjoy the rest of your week!


11 comments:

  1. Your little Santas are just adorable, Linda! What a great job you on them and I am amazed at your creativity. It's going to be fun to see those Santas multiply in different fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, your sweet Santa's are so cute. So glad you came by to visit me. Made my day! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the most adorable Santas I've seen in ages. I popped over to your Etsy shop and was delighted to see that you are selling them at a price that will reward you for your work. Good for you. I pray God's blessings over your business. In Jesus' Name!

    I found you through Debbie at She Graces Her Home.
    I'll be back to visit again.

    Please drop by and say hello!
    ஐღLauraღஐ
    Harvest Lane Cottage
    ...doing what I can with what I've got where I am
    on a short shoestring budget!
    ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how precious! I LOVE these! It is sort of sad to think back over when our children were small and so excited for Santa to come! But, the memories are ever so sweet. So thankful to meet you today, and I so appreciated your sweet comment left on my blog. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda,
    I wanted to thank you for stopping by to visit my blog, however, you're showing as a "no reply blogger". I've looked on your blog and could not find an email addy so here I am! I really appreciate your visit and hope that you will return.

    Your Santas are adorable! Obviously, you are extremely creative and talented. It will be fun to see other Santas!

    Have a blessed day ~
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning!
    I am smiling just looking at these darling Santa's! They do seem a bit precocious and I think that they might just get up and run off!
    Tomorrow is our first big day of Etsy shopping and you and Ann Marie are my features!
    xox
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a clever idea and they are so cute, love that you added a bit of greenery and berries with him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay , so which one is the "real Santa " ? Love them all !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss those days too, Linda. It went by too quickly although at the time I probably didn't think so.

    I love your unique little Santas! They make me want for Christmas to hurry up and come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh they're cute and each one has his own expression.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute they are Linda, so sweet with the grenery, and tassels.
    I have made many dolls and santas, for my own show I had for 20 years, on the same adress ,where we lived before, so I know how the little things, are giving life. :-)
    Hugs, Dorthe, and congratulations on being on the "shopping tour " .

    ReplyDelete