Sunday, November 6, 2016

Today's Sewing Project--Tulip Purse



Last night I began stitching up a bag using one of my favorite patterns. It's been a while since I made one of these bags. Every year my mom puts in "an order" for a new one so I have been looking around for just the right fabric. I haven't located hers yet but I did purchase a couple bundles of coordinating fat quarters in pretty browns, golds and metallic some time ago and I have been dying to make a bag from these fabrics. See above.

I apologize for the quality of these photos. There are plenty of shadows because it got darker earlier than I had planned and I needed to use an overhead light. Our first day of early darkness was today and I never welcome the shorter days. It sort of signals winter and hibernation and eat lots of comfort food!.....


The fabric is a richer golden brown than what you see here. I love this fabric. I went online to see if I could find some more but did not have any luck. The pattern used here is Janice Pope's 2 Hour Tulip Bag. It whips up in a couple of hours just like the pattern claims. I like to give it my own touches and in this case I made a fabric button from  a coordinating fabric and made a button loop from the main fabric. You can also use elastic loops, or tabs, magnetic snaps etc....


The inside has another pocket. I used the same pocket pattern that is on the outside. There is also an option for a small rectangular pocket. After making several of these bags for myself, I prefer the larger, deeper pocket.


It's very roomy inside when opened. (8" sides) Boy, the color is way off in this photo.


The straps are 22" long. So it can be used as a handbag but also can be carried over the shoulder. Generally for shoulder bags I add another couple of inches to the strap especially for when I am wearing bulkier clothing.


Using the pattern for a small zipper pouch, (finished dimensions are 6" x 4 1/2") I stitched up this matching pouch which fits inside the bag or even in the inside pocket.


The lining of the zipper bag is the same fabric that I used for the button on the purse.


Janice Pope's pattern is very easy to follow, works up quickly and can be easily customized. I have made these bags up in cotton, corduroy, denim from recycled jeans. You can find links on my sidebar to other tulip bags that I have made. (under most popular posts)

This pattern comes with four different sizes: Petite, Standard, Large and Jumbo. This bag was made using the large size. I have made several in the standard size as well but have not yet used small or jumbo. 

Well, I've got some more sewing to do and a very busy week ahead, so I'll leave you for now. Have a wonderful week.  

*******Just a reminder that Jemma will be entering her Week 2  of Etsy Christmas Shopping and she will be featuring new shops this week. Click here to visit Jemma's Blog  


Good bye friends! Don't forget to VOTE!



10 comments:

  1. Such a lovely bag, Linda. I think the colors are quite lovely with a warm touch to them. It looks like a nice deep purse that would hold all that a women needs to have with her. I've tried to down size in my bags and I'm liking it but do find there are things I could use that I have no room for.
    What's a women to do? :-)
    Blessings for your busy week ahead~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tulip bag is darling, Linda. It looks very roomy; an excellent holdall for everything a gal would ever need to take with her. The fabrics are lovely. The purse is cute as well. I can't believe it only took you 2 hours to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Bag, too bad you couldn't find anymore of this fabric it is great for a purse and I love that you have added your own touches to it, I too love to have pockets in my purse, a good deep one is always perfect, Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda, your tulip bag is gorgeous. I love it and I like it when pockets are placed handy for phones etc.on the outside. The fabric is beautiful and adding the matching cosmetic bag is always a plus. Your work and designs are always so fresh and fun. Thank you for sharing and happy creating. Have a great week my friend. Blessings and Hugs. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tulip bag is just darling, Linda! I used to make so many purses. This pattern looks like a nice one,many I love the coordinating zippered pouch and the pockets inside and outside the bag. I hope you find some fabric for your mom's "order"! Happy sewing, my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw on Instagram that you "whipped up" this bag! oh my. It would take me days. So impressed with you making such a nice quality bag so quickly. I always see those fat quarters and think of them only for quilting. They have some beautiful fabrics available. Nice job, Linda! xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my mercy Linda! I love what you have created here. Beautiful. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Linda, Your bag is wonderful. I too love rich brown tones, and the form on this is so lovely ,and giving good place for a lot of things, to go inside :-)
    So beautifully made.
    Hugs, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sewing skills are amazing. 2 hours to make that bag? Wow. It is gorgeous! I love the hues of brown that you chose and the fact that brown goes with just about everything denim, this would be a lovely out-and-about purse. I love the little matching wallet purse too, very special! Hope you are doing well. We got some snow today, and probably some more tomorrow, but none will stick, because it is going to rain. It's that time of year, lol! Hugs to you dear friend, trust all is well with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mom is a lucky lady to have a daughter who is so talented and generous with her creations. Love the size of this bag Linda! Not too big, not too small. And the colors are perfect for Autumn too!

    ReplyDelete