Saturday, October 15, 2016

That's a Wrap!


Hello Friends and Happy Fall! It's a bright, sunny fall day here in NH and it's a bit cool! But that's OK because I recently made this comfy, cozy wrap/shawl/poncho and it's a perfect layer to the morning coolness that we experienced outside this morning.

I stitched this up in about an hour from a blanket/throw I purchased on sale at Joanne Fabrics. I believe I ended up paying a whopping $13.99 for it. I love wardrobe pieces like this: budget friendly, functional, practical and well.....fashionable too!

I asked my husband to go outside this morning and photograph me wearing my new wrap and he was only happy to do so!


I wrapped an orange and brown scarf around in sort of a cowl neck. I always wear scarves! This one was made by a friend of mine several years ago. Please forgive my ratty jeans and sneakers!


The photo shoot started out with a serious tone.....


....and at about this time my husband started joking with me.....I'll spare you the details!


Abrupt end to my photo shoot.....couldn't find my straight face after that. 

As I mentioned earlier, this is a perfect lightweight layer for a fall day and I plan to wear it all week as it's supposed be a little cool.

How did I do it? Since I have made ponchos before I knew that I could fold the blanket in half with the fringe at the bottom and cut up the middle of the top layer to make an opening. But I also wanted to cut out an actual neckline. I looked around the house for a neckline to copy and couldn't find one of my ponchos to use for a template. So I googled "making ponchos from blankets" and sure enough several popped up. I direct you to the link of one of my favorites--Click Here. I love the way she uses a plate for a template as I do the very same thing. My large pizza stone comes in very handy when I need a larger circle.....Another link that shows a similar project--Click here. She also uses a plate as a template!


Basic Supplies, I later decided to add bias binding to the front cut edges and neckline.....


I got right down on the floor for this project!


I determined the middle of the blanket (poncho front). In this case it happened to be the fold line and I cut right up the middle of the top layer until I reached the plate. Please note: only 1/2 of the plate is actually on the blanket for the template)


Then I cut around the 1/2 the plate, removed the plate and cut straight across to remove piece as pictured below.



I finished all cut edges with a zig zag stitch on my sewing machine.



Then I folded over the finished edge 1/2" and pinned all the way around.


Using a regular straight stitch (and using a variegated orange, brown thread) I stitched the folded edge all the way around. I could have stopped here but since my blanket was not wool, ( it was light acrylic) I chose to make an extra trip to the fabric store for some 7/8" wide bias binding tape to finish my edge. It made a very neat edge as well as added some structure to the lightweight fabric particularly around the neckline..  See below:


Neckline


Front opening edges....If I find time to make another poncho, , I may bind all of the outside edges. This is not visible from the front, and was intended only to stabilize and hide the raw edge.



I added the chunky faux wood button and a snap to the inside front to help keep it slightly asymmetrical when closed.


I love it!

After I had finished stitching this, I got this idea in my head that if I purchased another identical blanket, I could cut a nice, wide matching scarf from the fabric. By cutting in the opposite direction than I did to make the actual poncho, (in other words, fringe side to other fringe side) I could have had a nice wide, coordinating, fringed scarf. When I went back to Joann's the blankets had sold out. Sad face! 

I recently bought some pretty fleece to make a similar wrap. The pattern is asymmetrical but shorter than this poncho and it also has a chunky button closure. I hope to get to that this week.

Time has a way of getting away from me these days. I actually made this poncho a couple of weeks ago and started writing this post a week ago. In the middle of all this, I had an overnight commitment out of town, lost a couple days, had some other things to catch up on and was able to take some time today to "wrap up this post!

I hope everyone is enjoying some beautiful fall weather! Here in NH, it has been especially sunny and the foliage is spectacular...as always! Fall in New England never disappoints! 

Have a nice weekend!


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love it! Nothing nicer than wrapping yourself up in a cozy blanket, and if you can actually wear it and look stylish, all the better. Thanks for the tutorial. Would love to try this. xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now don't you look so stylish, Linda! I saw several ponchos in the Kohl's add and yours is much prettier. Thanks for the great idea and tutorial! I love that your hubby made you giggle during the photo shoot. Stay warm and cozy on those crisp, Fall mornings, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda, Just beautiful. I love your wrap. You are so talented in everything you design. This turned out so stylish and looks so good on you. Your hubby took some gorgeous shots of pretty you. I love the one where you are laughing. So cute. Thanks for sharing your great tutorial too. Looks like you are seeing some lovely fall color. Enjoy the week ahead and be blessed. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you clever and don't you just love google, pinterest :) Love that fabric and great idea for reinforcing around the neck line. Love your photo shoot, my hubby is the same way, always makes me end up laughing. Glad you are enjoying a lovely fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I simply love it...and you, dear Linda :) You look so sweet in your new poncho.

    I would LOVE to try my hand at this. Next week I am headed to the city so I think I will look for a pretty little blanket :) Thank you so much for sharing. You are so beautiful!

    Hugs and joy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, my goodness. When I thought I had the sweater department wrapped up for the winter... now I just love this idea and I need one of these! What a perfect way to stay warm and cozy with the colder months upon us! The tutorial looks easy enough... thank you for sharing in such easy fashion how to make one! You look simply beautiful standing there in the leaves, how sweet for your husband to take the pictures, such happy moments are special! A beautiful post, in many ways - you, the poncho, and the leaves :) Hugs to you today dear friend! Hope your busy slows down soon :)

    ReplyDelete