Saturday, September 24, 2016

Save those Fabric Scraps!



Hi Friends! It's a beautiful Saturday here in NH! It's sunny, a bit coolish and I'm loving this weather! I sat outside with my dog this morning and the sun was so nice and warm. If I hadn't had so much to do, I would've sat there much longer. I hope you all are enjoying a beautiful fall day wherever you are!

Today I worked on a "thank you" card utilizing some fabric scraps and bits of lace left over from other projects. I really enjoy small projects like this and it takes me right back to school projects waaay, waaaay back in the day. I remember hoping the teacher would say those three little words that made me ever so happy!!! "Make a collage". I was all over those kinds of projects and I spent hours making them perfect in every way!

Now I prefer the look of not exactly perfect....and I very much appreciate the handmade goodness of handmade items. I always have. I remember loving the beautiful dresses my mother sewed for me in grade school.....and if there were dainty lace edgings on them, I jumped for joy! Anyways....


I began this card by placing a square piece of fabric onto the cardstock a bit off center. I stitched it on with a zig zag stitch to secure it. Next I cut a piece of wide lace and stitched it to the left side of the fabric. I added the bottom lace and tucked the edge under the wide lace to overlap the left edge. I added laces to the right side and top as well.


I cut some ecru fabric strips with pinking shears and stamped "thank you" and "dear friend"  on to them. Then I stitched them on with a zig zag stitch. The last step is tying a piece of seam binding into a bow. I attached the bow with a small amount of hot glue. After adding some thread to an ivory button, I tied it in a knot and added the button with a dab of hot glue.


This was fun!....and quick.....and it's already been taken away by the mailman.


This is one that I did earlier in the week. This one was a bit less work because I did not use lace on the edges.


I love shades of red and green....reminds me of Christmas!


This card has also been sent off in the mail....I have a few more to make and I have a huge stash of fabric scraps, lace bits and ribbon pieces to choose from. If a scrap is at least as big as a postage stamp, I keep it!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!




17 comments:

  1. I imagine your teachers were always amazed at your collages, Linda! I too love saving all those little bits of laces and other bits and bobs. One can always find somewhere for them to live. LOVE your cards. There is so much scope for the imagination when one gazes upon your pretties. I would think opening one of these gorgeous cards would put many a smile in the recipient's day. Hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend. May you steal a few moments sitting in the warmth of your Fall, with your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo Linda these cards are BEAUTIFUL! I enjoy the zig-zag stitching and the warmth & charm of the lace, seam binding and stamping add. Always wonderful work; love to visit here! Have a great rest of the week end~ Karen O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely adorable, my friend! Sometimes scraps of fabric make the loveliest projects :) And of course I love, love, LOVE the lace you've added.

    Love and hugs to you, dear Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty. I've never tried to sew on cards on my sewing machine. I may have to experiment! Enjoy your day sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the cards you made. So pretty and feminine. I would like to try this. Hoping you will post more of the ones you do. Just beautiful. How could anyway help but love receiving them! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. and romantic cards, Linda, someone will be so happy recieving them !!! xo Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now aren' t those the prettiest handmade cards??!! I just love how you've decorated them. I have lots of leftover fabric scraps. Do you use individual letters for stamping the words? That makes for such a pretty touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda, so pretty!! Love this idea using leftover scraps. Anyone would love to receive a pretty card like this. It's really a sewn work of art. You are so creative. Love it. Have a great week ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOH! Soo very pretty Linda! These are just the sweetest cards, and the recipient will surely be blessed just to receive and enjoy the lovely work you put into them! You are so resourceful, using scraps of this-n-that to create these one-of-a-kind cards! It has been a long time since I've sewn on paper. Hmm... you have inspired me to give it a try! Hugs to you today dear friend! Hope you are enjoying lovely fall colors and weather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how pretty! What a wonderful idea. I am going to bookmark this and try it myself. Thanks for the inspiration Linda. Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my these are just gorgeous, great use of all those scraps, the first has such pretty flower fabric and lovely use of all that lacem and lovely bow to top it off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely amazing! I love these projects so much!
    Have a great day!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty Linda! Here you go again, working your magic, talent and creativity.
    I love this romantic card and fabric!
    xo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're a creative Ninja Linda! Your projects are lovely and so creative!

    I thought of you today. I was in NH (near Amherst) with a friend checking out a breeder. It was such a lovely drive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Linda: Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today. You are so talented. I can hardly believe how beautiful my gifts were. You even made my card! Amazing! Thank you again, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd never thought of doing something like this. You are infinitely creative. It must be your super power. ~smile~
    About your comment on my Daybook:

    Dear Linda, a sleep until Wednesday would be a long sleep that would no doubt put your family over the edge with anxiety. ~smile~ It's going to be alright. God's got us.
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are gorgeous cards . What a great idea. :) I showed them to my daughter Emma in hopes she can make some.

    ReplyDelete