Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Post July 4th


Hi friends! I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July! We had a small cookout as only one of our daughters could be home over the holiday weekend. But we had all of our family favorite dishes and had a very nice holiday cookout on the 3rd.


This "Death by Chocolate" dessert was requested by my daughter and son-in-law. How could I say no? It has been posted on my blog before and is so very easy to put together. Makes quite a statement on the buffet table too! It is three layers of baked cake (or brownies) broken into bite sized pieces and layered with cool whip, chocolate pudding and Heath Bar crunch. YUM!


This is another dessert that is always a hit on the 4th! I don't usually use an oval dish so I had to be creative making a flag. There also wasn't much room for white stripes but I think you get the drift! It's red, white and blue and all that matters! 

This strawberry and cream delight has also been posted on my blog before, though in trifle form instead of the flag cake. This is just a white cake made with almond extract, filled and topped with whipped cream, cream cheese, confectioner's sugar and almond extract and of course strawberries and blueberries. This is also very yummy!


Here is one of my all time favorite frozen jello salads that I had almost forgotten about but while reading through some old recipes, I happened upon the recipe and couldn't wait for an event or holiday to make it! It is very refreshing on a hot summer day! So it was perfect for the 4th!

Recipe:  Frozen Strawberry Fruit Salad

Dissolve small strawberry jello mix with 1 C boiling water.

Add 1/2 C pineapple juice and 1/2 C lemon juice.

Refrigerate for 1 hour or until slightly jelled.

Whip up 1 packet of Dream Whip according to directions on package. Add 1/2 C Hellmanns mayo. Then add drained fruit. (Can be fruit cocktail, fresh strawberries, pineapple, banana)  You may also add nuts if desired. I used 1 can fruit cocktail and fresh strawberries.

Spoon into loaf pan or pretty mold.

Place in freezer, covered with foil or plastic wrap. Take out 1/2 hour before serving. Invert to platter and slice for serving.


I sometimes sit the entire loaf pan into a deep dish of warm water for a few seconds, just long enough for the sides to melt from the loaf pan. Run a sharp knife around the edges of the dish to help remove the salad. Then.....enjoy!

Hope everyone had a healthy dose of family, food and fireworks over the 4th of July weekend! How did you celebrate?

12 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,
    Your flower arrangement is gorgeous!Very festive, and those desserts are all wonderful looking. I bet that f4ozen jello dessert is awesome on a hat day.
    Thank you for your visit and sweet comment. I always enjoy having you come for a visit.

    Enjoy your week~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, Love your gorgeous flower arrangement. So pretty and perfect for the 4th of July. Sounds like you had a nice weekend and the desserts looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing. Will have to try that jello salad. We need something refreshing here. Temps are HOT and heat index is over 100 degrees.
    Have a great week my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening, my friend! My, your amazing dishes are making my mouth water! Everything looks sooo good and that death by chocolate dessert...YES, PLEASE! :) I make something similar, but it's a trifle with brownies and I add fruit. Next time I make it I think the Heath bar pieces would make it even better.

    Have a fantastic week, dear one. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Linda,
    These desserts are gorgeous and so is your flower arrangement!
    I would love to try each one of them, but this jello dessert would be so good on these hot Texas days.
    This is why you could never visit me in July!
    Happy post 4th of July to you!
    xo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun time! I'm sure your family enjoyed the desserts! They look really yummy. :)

    Happy day friend!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, so much yumminess all in one place! Your flag cake turned out awesome, and I love doing the trifle dessert too, although I've never done it with Heath bars. Glad that you had such a special 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda! It would be so hard to choose from all of those desserts! I guess, I'd just have to sample all three of them.
    I'm glad you had a nice 4th of July. Mine was low key, since I had just gotten home from visiting my mom in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your desserts look wonderful! I love the jello frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! All those desserts look fabulous! I don't know which one I'd like to dive into first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Wow these all sound terrific, you had some great celebrating with food that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Linda, first thank you so much for your loving comment on the interview ,dear Wen did with me. I was so glad seeing your name there, and reading your loving words, thank you.
    Your desserts are just looking AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL , and I`m sure they tasts as fantastic as they all looks.
    Linda wishing you a happy new week !
    Dorthe, xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot believe how luscious those desserts look. Of course anything that involves strawberries is good with me!

    ReplyDelete