Monday, June 13, 2016

Sweet Love




Hello friends! I hope this finds you all well and enjoying some lovely spring weather. In my corner of the world, it is cloudy, cool and well....the heat just came on. With that just barely said, the sun literally popped out....oh never mind....it's gone now. But there's always hope! I see patches of blue sky and I believe that it is supposed to get warmer by the day.

My latest sewing project is the bag you see above. A few weeks ago I purchased some graphics here on ETSY. I have been experimenting with the graphics and various methods of printing and transferring them to fabric. In this project, I printed directly onto an 8 1/2 x 11 fabric sheet. I was extremely happy with the quality of the artwork and my printer did not let me down.


I have long loved the painting of The First Kiss (1890) by William-Adolphe Bouguereau. I only recently learned that this is not in fact the original name of the painting.  It was originally L'Amour at Psyche Enfants which translates as Cupid and Psyche as Children. As I understand it, it incorrectly took on the nickname Le Premier Baiser ,or The First Kiss and it apparently just stuck. I have always called it the First Kiss. I stand corrected.....At any rate, I love these two little kissing cherubs and was excited to see it among many lovely digital downloads on Etsy.

Printing directly on the fabric sheet produces a nice soft print as opposed to some iron on or other transfer processes. I actually experimented with printing directly on my own fabric and it was also a success. Of course it took me nearly three days to work up the nerve to place raw-edged fabric in my printer but after ironing it on to a piece of freezer paper, it printed remarkably well.


I used the artwork as the pocket on my tote bag and framed it in a little cotton edging that I purchased on one of my lace/doily/vintage hunting excursions. I really wanted the artwork to be the focal point of the bag and not get swallowed up by lots of embellishments. I did add a shabby bow of sari ribbon, tulle and vintage eyelet edging which I think adds just the right amount of embellishment without taking anything away from the sweet image.


This was not one of those projects that I started and finished in the same day. I actually have been working on it little by little as we have been very busy during the past couple of weeks. June is always a very busy month--usually of celebratory events and this June was no exception. I am happy to have some time to spare today to post and do a little catching up on my blog reading.

Take care friends and as always, thank you for stopping by!

PS The sun is out!



Linking up:

Weekly linky party

17 comments:

  1. That's a sweet creation, Linda! I would have had visions of my husband hitting the roof when I ruined his printer with a piece of fabric caught inside it. Whew, you succeeded at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dewena,
      Thank you! It was fun and a bit different than my other bags. In our case, I think my husband and I would've hit the roof simultaneously but lo and behold, it ran through the printer fine so our feet never left the floor! Sweet success!!! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness Linda!
    This is one of prettiest totes I have ever seen! I must tell you that I was holding my breath with each step of the cloth going into the printer! You were very brave!
    So sweet and perfect for the Summer months too.
    I love all of your projects!
    xo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kissing cherubs are adorable, Linda. I love the bag you stitched. You have added just the right amount embellishment.....I love the sari fabric, it adds the prettiest touch. What a clever lady you are. Thank you for the tip of ironing the fabric onto freezer paper before you bravely printed the design. I wonder what clever pretties you will dream up next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Linda, I just LOVE this project! I adore cherubs so very much and would so like to try my hand at printing onto fabric. I wish we lived close to each other and you could help me!!!! I do have freezer paper and maybe I could get brave like you and try it out. Thank you for sharing your creativity with us. Happy sewing, sweet friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda! This 'Sweet Love' bag is gorgeous! Your work is always so beautiful and professional in quality. Your dear friends here are right in admiring your bravery! LOL : ) in printing on fabric. I have always wanted to try~
    You're a great role model for me friend! : ) I love the Shabby Chic vintage style and think your addition of ribbon is so perfect. Hugs to you, ~Karen O

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda, This project is lovely and the image turned out lovely on the tote you designed. I have always enjoyed this image too but did not know the real name. Thanks for passing on the info.
    I love using Lesley Riley Transfer Paper (my fav) and then ironing it on my fabric. However, you have inspired me to print right on the fabric using my printer.
    Love this tote!! Have a great week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is lovely! I've always wanted to learn to print on fabric but I'm not sure I have the right kind of printer for that. You make the most beautiful bags...each one unique and special! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet Linda, your creations always put a smile on my face. I can see the love and detail you put into each item you make :) I have always wondered about printing onto fabric and thanks to you I might get up enough nerve to try it.

    Hugs and joy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Linda,
    so beautiful a bag you created using that wonderful image. I love it, too- thank`s for the explanation about the name, and how it became something else :-)
    Earlier I have printed directly from my printer a lot, but my former printer was more strong and effective for that perpose .... maybe I should try again ,:-)
    Dorthe, xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh, dear Linda, your bag is so beautiful! I have never seen this painting printed out in such gorgeous tones of greys and browns. My goodness, it is stunning like this! And lol, yes it is kind of scary to put the fabric into the printer. I never dared! Wishing you a beautiful and SUNNY day :) Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a precious tote bag! Love it. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who knew you could put fabric in a printer?! Your bag is beautiful! I have that picture, and never knew the name. I love the colors and sweet embellishments. Just lovely, Linda! xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tote bag is so pretty. I have to try printing on fabric. Thanks for the tip about freezer paper. Thank you for sharing at Vintage Charm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda, this turned out so sweet! I've always loved those little cherubs and putting them on a tote bag was a great idea.

    Happy Thoughts of Home. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my is that ever pretty, the image printed so well, I have tried those sheets through the printer also but it was a saying not an image, now you have me thinking of trying an image with them :) Great idea to make it a pocket too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Linda,
    your tote bag is very very nice!!
    Thank you for stopped by my blog,
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete