Tuesday, May 17, 2016

If it Weren't for Bad Luck....


Hello friends! Lately it seems that if it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all. I've also heard that bad things sometimes happen in threes but in my case it has been happening in many multiples of threes.....one right after another. But last week there was a bright spot.....a spur of the moment conversation that led to a lovely day spent with a friend roaming antique and vintage shops and barns and a yard sale. I found some lovely, reasonably priced items and they came home with me!

"Oh happy day!" came out of my mouth more than once on this joyous day of shopping and having lunch with one of my dearest friends.  We had a ball!.....


My best find was several yards of this beautiful dark ecru, hand crocheted edging. It was all folded up in a plastic bag with no price tag. The woman told me she would have to call the owner of the booth to find out the price. Later on she told me that the booth owner was also having a yard sale down the road so that was our next stop.


I bought several of these beautiful towels on the $1.00 table. When I got home and opened them up I realized they were as big as bath towels. Some of them had patterns of fleur-de-lis and shamrocks. I did have photos of them but I lost them in a very bad photo transfer which ended badly for me and deleted 1,000 plus photos from my phone. I haven't quite gotten over that yet.....


This very large table scarf was also on the $1.00 table but it had a tag which clearly said $40.00. It was gorgeous and I wanted to bring it home with me. I asked about the price and it was also $1.00 so of course I purchased it.


Here you can see that it is monogrammed. I love imagining the history behind items like this.....It is a very beautiful piece with no stains, holes or damage of any kind.


We stopped at another antique mall and I found this white edging. There are two very long pieces. I'm sure I will put it to very good use!


I also purchased this large, gorgeous ecru tablecloth. It was the most expensive thing I bought all day and was only $16.00. It is in excellent condition with one very small stain. I have been working on that stain and it is barely noticeable now. I couldn't even locate it this afternoon.


I also found a few bags of very pretty lace and edgings. I did not even open the bag they were in. I like to go home and open a few surprises while checking out my loot. This bag of sweet lace was a nice variety of some good-sized pieces. :)


I fell in love with this large table scarf. The edging is exquisite. This piece, although lovely, has a small tear so I will most likely use the lacy edging in a sewing project.


Some miscellaneous lace edgings, eyelets, lace and a large doily.....


I had such a wonderful day roaming these shops. We stopped for a nice lunch and I tried Parsnip Apple Soup. I haven't ever had it before and was more than a little curious. There was a very nice lady behind the counter and she asked me if I would like to taste it and I said, "yes please!" My next words were, "I'll take a cup of that with a half of a turkey sandwich." It was delicious!

We made one more stop before heading home. I didn't want the day to end. I didn't have one bad luck experience all day.......until I had been home all of about fifteen or twenty minutes. I was eating something and my dental crown fell out. It was a Thursday evening of course and the dental office I go to is closed on Fridays and all weekend...Can you guess where I am going in the morning?

Oh well, tomorrow is a new day and I have a very good feeling about it!........Good night friends!





28 comments:

  1. Good morning, Linda! I'm so sorry about the loss of your photos and the loss of the dental crown. I hope all goes well at the dentist's office this morning. You did have a wonderful day finding beautiful bargains and treasures, and being with your friend and having lunch. I look forward to seeing what magic you'll produce from all those vintage pieces, trimmings and lace. Love and blessings are sent to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kitty,
      Thank you Kitty! It turns out I need a root canal asap and a new crown :(....not exactly music to my ears....I was hoping for an easier, quick fix....yes, I did have a nice day. We took our time because neither of us had to watch the time so it was very relaxed and so enjoyable! I hope to start sewing with these things next week. Hope you are having a nice week!
      Sending hugs!
      Linda

      Delete
  2. You have been having a block of bad luck, haven't you. BUT....what good fortune you found. So, so many gorgeous pretties. All those lovely laces, crochet edgings, tablecoths........what a fortuitous day you enjoyed with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim,
      Thank you for dropping by! Yes, it was a fortuitous day for sure! A good friend, good food and good fortune all in one day! Not sure it could've gotten much better! Have a nice evening!Linda

      Delete
  3. Very pretty...love all the items you found. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! So nice of you to drop by! :)

      Delete
  4. Linda, a day like this is TRULY a good day!! Wow, what fun and beautiful vintage finds you have
    from this outing! Great experience and great treasures~
    And I know life happens *sigh* but I'm sorry so much had piled on @ once! Hope things look better. GO SHOPPING! : ) LOL ~Karen O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Yes, such is life! I am truly thankful when a "TRULY" good day comes along! Thank you! I still cannot believe how little I paid for some of these treasures! I will take your advice and GO SHOPPING when life happens! LOL!
      Linda

      Delete
  5. What wonderful finds!! Hope your week goes better than last. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! I appreciate that!!! :)
      Linda

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry you've had so much to deal with lately. And I hope your dentist appt went well this morning and you are on the mend now. I'm glad you had a nice day out with a friend and found so many lovely things. I know how uplifting that can be. Sending you bunches of HUGS, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane!
      How are you? I miss our long conversations! Dentist appt did not go well, need root canal tomorrow and a new crown but I'm going with the flow. Could've been worse....Yes, it really was a nice day and exactly what the the Dr ordered! You are right, it is uplifting! Thanks for the bunches of hugs too!! :)
      xoxo
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Oh, my sweetest Linda, what a treasure you've found, lucky you !

    Hope you're having a beautiful week, I'm sending blessings of joy on your days to come, may they be filled with much love

    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dany! Yes, I am looking forward to sewing with some of these little treasures! Thank you for your kind words as well.:)
      Blessings to you too my friend,
      Linda

      Delete
  8. Hi Linda, Oh I enjoyed this post so much and in awe of the gorgeous treasures in lace and linens you found. I bet you felt like you were in lace heaven with your finds. So glad it was a fun day and not a single bit of bad luck except the tooth. So sorry for that and I hope you are on the mend with it now after the dental visit.
    I know you are going to put all those pretties to good use in display or creating. Have fun and blessings to you my friend. xi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Celestina,
      What a wonderful trip you had. I enjoyed your photos so much! Such a nice place to vacation! Yes, I was in lace heaven for sure! It was a great day! I will survive my tooth misfortune, it actually needs a root canal tomorrow and a new crown this week...I think the timing was more annoying than anything else. So many things need tending to right now and I just got my daughter home for a rare 2wk visit so I didn't want one more thing to get in the way of a nice visit. I sure hope to get started on some new things next week. I washed and ironed all of my new lace and linens and they look so pretty! So it's all ready to go.....thanks for stopping by so soon after getting back. So glad you had such a nice trip with your husband! Blessings to you too,
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  9. My goodness! Such beautiful treasures! You know, I've found that the Lord seems to allow something difficult in our life, right around the same time something amazing and wonderful takes place too! He does have a way of softening the pain of things we have to go through. I'm so thankful you had such a sweet day with your friend, a serendipity kind of day, beautiful lovely treasures you've gotten! I hope that your tooth gets fixed easily and that you are able to enjoy the time with your daughter in a special way! Much love and hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Marilyn I agree....also I have found that things that at first seem to be a matter of bad luck really turns out to be a blessing...(a blessing in disguise) Got the root canal yesterday, I'll be crowned on Tuesday, After that you may call me "your Majesty!" LOL! It's a beautiful day here, hope it is there too! Even if not, you've got that beautiful view!!! Take care and thank you for your visit and comments!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  10. You certainly deserved finding these treasure troves of fabric. I'm so sorry life has not been gentle to you lately but happy that these pieces came home to you, someone who will love them dearly. I bet you've just indulged yourself in running your fingers over the surfaces and imagining their previous lives.

    It's always a Friday or weekend when a dental emergency happens, isn't it? Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Dewena,
      I do not know why emergencies happen only on weekends but we've had 6 months of weekend emergencies from my mom, to my dog, to my daughter, me....it never ends..I LOL when I read your comment about running my hands over the linens. I washed them, ironed them (they smelled so good) and yes ran my hands over them while imagining their past lives!!!! Just like you said! Thank you for your sweet comment. I love it when someone else rationalizes my linen obsession. I think that makes you an enabler....LOL! Hope you are enjoying your new home and gorgeous ocean views!Happy weekend!xo
      Linda

      Delete
  11. Such beautiful finds and so many of them! The linens are so gorgeous! I hope all went well with your tooth/crown, I've had that happen many times and it always does on the weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you for your visit and very kind remarks! It appears that we both like to collect similar items!!! Crown went well......after a dreaded root canal, lol! Enjoy the rest of the week!
      Linda

      Delete
  12. Oh my Linda, so sorry to hear about all your troubles you have been having, hopefully your tooth has been fixed and no more bad luck is coming your way. So glad with all that has been going on that you were able to have a great day out with your friend, you sure did find many beautiful keepsakes and at such wonderful deals.... wishing you a great and stress free week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just found this, don
      t know how I missed responding but thank you Connie....the situation has been resolved (happy to say). thanks for stopping by. Enjoy the rest of the week, it seems to be flying!

      Delete
  13. Oh Linda...I am in awe of your finds, wow wow wow! Everything is gorgeous and the price is unreal. The Lord certainly gave you a wonderful day out with your friend.
    Sorry to hear about your tooth though. I trust you are all better by now?
    I have been away and slow in blogging as I've been looking after my mother's needs.
    Thank you for you visit and precious comment.
    Enjoy your weekend~~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      Just found some old comments that I somehow missed. Everything is fine now, thanks! Yes, it was a very nice outing and just what I needed. It is nice that you are able to spend time with your mom. I am doing the same. Miss you and hope to connect again soon. Thinking of you Debbie and looking forward to your return.
      xo

      Delete
  14. Trusting that you are doing better now. So sorry to hear about your tooth. Glad that you were blessed with so many pretty things that day with your friend. You scored for sure. Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi nikki,
      All's well that ends well! LOL! Thanks for dropping by. Hope all is well with the family!
      Linda

      Delete