Friday, April 29, 2016

Sweet Dreams--An Upcycled Project


Today I was trying to come up with an idea to use (upcycle/repurpose) some wide mouth mason jar lids and rims that I purchased by mistake. I could've just taken them back but what fun would that have been? Finally after much thought I came up with a mini dream catcher idea that actually turned out much cuter than I dreamed (no pun intended).


The first dream catcher that I worked on was this white one. I dug out my stamps and began stamping away. I have a huge pile of white cotton fabric strips that I made from some vintage bed linens. I knew they would come in handy some day.....


I made the second dream catcher out of light beige sari ribbon. I wasn't sure how it would take the stamp but it turned out rather well.



I tied on some strips of ivory tulle with the sari ribbon. I think some ivory or ecru lace would work really well too and will add some to the next ones I make.....


Though these dream catchers are not quite finished, I am quite happy that they turned out so well the first time I put one together. Usually new projects take a bit longer to plan and even longer to execute. I still have to decide how to embellish, though I think with these, less embellishment may be more. I will also have to attach a hanger of some sort.


I suppose these aren't truly dream catchers as there is a piece of fabric behind the lace doilies to hide the lid. Since they are supposed to filter out and catch bad thoughts and dreams while the good dreams pass through, I am afraid that maybe even the good thoughts and dreams might get caught in the fabric too. I tend to worry a lot.......

 As ornaments though, I think they would look very cute hanging on a wall. The lid is about 3 1/4" in diameter and the entire ornament measures about 11" from the top of the rim to the bottom of the fabric strips. I will be making more of these for sure and in several sizes.....


Well friends, it's getting late and I still have a load of laundry to do. I hope you have had a nice evening. Happy Weekend....Sweet dreams......

16 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous, my friend! You know that I love your creations, but these are extra special and beautiful. I love how you stamped words onto the fabric and the doilies are so pretty.

    Weekend blessings to you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Stephanie,
      Thank you! They are still a work in progress, still need some finishing touches. I'm glad you like them! They were rally fun to make! Sending hugs and wishes for a lovely weekend! xo
      Linda

      Delete
  2. I hope you had sweet dreams after making all those beautiful dream catchers, Linda!! They are so pretty, and you are so creative in using those wide mouth lids you mistakenly bought. Happy weekend blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kitty!
      I don't remember if I had sweet dreams or not, lol! Thank you! I bought a box of those lids and rims for my mason jar projects and of course I got them home and saw the "wide mouth" printed on the box. Couldn't have seen it while I was still at the store of course!....:( But they came in handy for this project! Have a nice weekend...I bet you have some yummy dessert plans today??? xo
      Linda

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful idea and something pretty for any bedroom! You are always so creative with crochet items, ribbon and lace! I love everything you make! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane,
      Thanks! It's fun and a pretty quick project. I've been busy this weekend but maybe next week I will make some more. I had a great weekend, hope you did too! Hugs,
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous as always, dear Linda.
    I have always loved your pretty and feminine creations. What a great way to use those mason jar lids. Very creative.
    I've been thinking of your mother and praying she is doing well?
    You must be getting back to your normal routine of things?
    Love and hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      Thank you my friend! I've got a whole box of them so I might as well put them to good use....taught me to not leave home without my reading glasses. Thank you for thinking of us Debbie. My mother is doing very well and we are now able to go out for coffee, or go shopping....yesterday we went out to lunch! :) Yes, I am trying to get back to more of a normal routine....Hope all is well with you. Have a lovely week! Sending love,
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  5. Very pretty...have a beautiful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda,
    Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate it! Now back to your math!!! LOL!
    Wishing you lots of luck!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't you just clever, such a great idea, love the stamping on the torn strips and ribbon, cute idea!! Lovely project!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, this is so so clever Linda!! It's an inspiring idea and so vintage lovely. I like the addition of the tulle and think lace would be wonderful too! I would sure like to try this! : ) Thanks for sharing such an innovative and beautiful idea Linda~ Karen O

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're too much Linda! Always creating, always inspiring, always beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! I love how you stamped on the strips, and made these gorgeous dream catchers, just beautifully vintage, and creative too! You have a way with fabric!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I ever knew what a dreamcatcher was or how it was supposed to work but I bet yours will still do the trick! They sure are pretty, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow!! Your dream catchers are beautiful. What a clever girl you are. I adore the printed words on those strips of bed sheets. One could not catch anything but the most pleasant dreams with one of your pretties hanging above.

    ReplyDelete