Thursday, April 14, 2016

Faith, Hope, Joy--Heartstrings


Good morning friends! Today I am sharing a newer version of my embellished heartstrings. It's certainly no secret that I love hearts. In fact, if I have scraps of fabric leftover, sometimes I will just sit (while watching TV) and cut out hearts. You just never know when a fabric heart will come in handy, either for applique, or stitching and stuffing, or stringing them along....


Just in case you don't believe me, here is a small sampling of my pile of hearts....


Anyways, back to my heartstrings.....these are so easy to whip up and can be hung over doorways, windows, over the doors of a hutch, tied around a planter or basket. They really add a pretty touch to whatever you hang them on. Plus, they can easily be customized by adding stamped sentiments, quotes, etc. Some ideas: Home Sweet Home, Home is Where You Hang Your Heart, Welcome Friends, Welcome Baby (this would be cute in pink or blue flannel hearts!). The possibilities are endless really!

Easy steps to make your own:

1.) Determine how many hearts you would like to string along......lol!

2.) Cut out two heart shapes from fabric for each heart. You will also need one heart shape cut out from fleece batting for each heart. I used fusible fleece because I have many, many scraps of fusible fleece..

3.) Decorate the top fabric layer of each heart using buttons, bits of lace, fabric, sentiments stamped on fabric, and ribbons. I added the tulle bow at the very end, after the heart was completed. (Note, I ironed on the fleece interfacing after the heart was embellished. If you have lace that could be damaged by ironing, either add the fusible fleece to the wrong side of the back of the heart or use sew on interfacing, Just pin securely when you stitch the three layers together.)

4.) With wrong sides facing, stitch all around the hearts with a zig-zag stitch, I started my stitching on a trimmed area so it would not show where I started and stopped. Check the backside to make sure all of the edges are enclosed in the stitching. If an area needs to be restitched, no worries. Stitch it on the backside. The extra stitching just adds to the shabby chic quality of the heart.

5.) Add ribbon or tulle bow at top of each heart if desired.

6.) Stitch the hearts to a length of twine, ribbon, torn strip of fabric. (I used recycled sari ribbon.)

7.) Tie a loop in each end of ribbon so they may be hung.

EASY PEASY!



Not only is this project easy, it can be completed quickly. Do the heartstrings below look familiar?


These are in my blog banner. Here you can see some batting exposed. Sometimes I let it show sometimes I don't. Sometimes I used pinking shears, other times I use regular scissors. There is no right or wrong way. 


My wish for you my friends:  faith, hope, joy! Have a wonderful weekend!



Linking up with:






15 comments:

  1. I love them all, but I am a nut for hearts. HA! HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't we all Betty! LOL! Thank you! Hope you had a nice weekend! Enjoy the week!
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Your things are beautiful, Linda. Your tutorial is great, but I would much rather buy from your precious etsy Shoppe.
    I too love hearts. There is just something special having them around your home in many fashions.
    It was nice visiting with you, dear Linda.
    Have a beautiful weekend coming up.
    Blessings~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Debbie! Thank you, you're too kind! I agree, hearts everywhere! Glad you came by for a visit, it's always nice to hear from you! Have a glorious week!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  3. I have some of your hearts and love how pretty they look in my bedroom. Thanks for sharing your tutorial. I would love to make a 'string along' of hearts! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why yes you do Diane! Probably very similar to the ones in my banner! If you make some, please share!Have a great week my friends!
      xp
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Your hearts are SEW pretty, Linda! I love the stamped words, and they're all so dreamy and romantic. I just love how you embellish them with pretty ribbons, lace, and trimmings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Kitty!
      Thank you SEW much for your sweet comment! They are SEW much fun to make and such a fun way to use up bits of leftover lace and fabric! Have a nice week Kitty. Oh and the cake was absolutely delicious! Thank you!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  5. These are wonderful and you know I have pinned them to different boards. This was so sweet of you to share the steps on how to make them.
    You know how much I admire your sewing capabilities:) You never cease to amaze me!
    I was so happy to see that you shared these with TOHOT too-thank you for your sweet friendship:)
    xo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jemma,
      Thank you Jemma and the pleasure was all mine joining TOHOT. And on time! Sometimes I make it and sometimes I don't but my plan is to always participate! You know all too well how life sometimes gets in the way. Grateful for your your friendship too and for your constant support and wisdom!!! Btw, we have had a couple days in a row in the 70's and before too long I should be seeing lots of green in this neck of the woods too! HAPPY DAY! Enjoying your photos so much!!! Have a lovely week Jemma!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Linda these are all just Beautiful, great idea for those scraps we have, and your embellishing is just wonderful!! I love your tip on starting and stopping the stitching where you will be embellishing on top to cover up the start and stop points. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Connie for your kind comments! As you know, those piles of scraps can add up! Even with papercrafting!!! My daughter just gave me a huge bag of paper scraps, some on the larger size. Any ideas for using up paper scraps??? I know there must be plenty of things I could do! Glad you stopped by!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Linda, you are a gal after my own 'heart!' as I love them too, and use them in many projects. They are the symbol of love and never go out of style: )
    Your pretty banner is wonderful! I truly love all the things you've added - tulle, ribbon and buttons and lace~
    Thanks for sharing and blessings to you, Karen O

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the kind of craft I like -- easy and beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial. They're very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delightful again - love the natural colour palette of your lovely fabrics - and the stamped words are a great touch.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete