Monday, April 25, 2016

Coconut Cream Banana Trifle


Banana Coconut Torte

I never seem to be able to leave well enough alone! I try something, I like it and feel the need to tweak it. It all started with the common coconut poke cake that is posted all over the internet. 

Basically you bake a white or yellow boxed cake mix according to directions on the box, then bake, and while still hot, poke holes all over it with the end of a wooden spoon.

The recipe I tried said to mix one container of cream of coconut with one can of sweetened condensed milk and then pour over the top of the cake.

Then using a container of cool whip, frost the entire cake and then sprinkle a package of coconut over the top.

It looked and smelled amazing.....but I was a little disappointed that it seemed to lack coconut flavor throughout the cake. Also, the entire package of coconut on top may have been a bit too much!

Then one night while having a conversation via email with my blogging friend Kitty (who blogs at Kittys Kozy Kitchen ), she told me that she made a coconut poke cake but she added the cream of coconut to the cool whip not the sweetened condensed milk. So I decided to frost it Kitty's way.

Somewhere along the line, I thought it would make a delicious trifle and thought why not add bananas and a package of coconut pudding as additional layers in the trifle? It turned out to be a good decision!


In this photo you can see the sliced bananas and the layer of creamy, coconut pudding! (It was a box of Jello Instant pudding. I prefer the cooked puddings but couldn't find a box in the store in coconut and I did not have time to make my own, so instant it was!)

I built my trifle by spreading a dollop of the cool whip/cream of coconut mixture on the bottom of my trifle dish. To that I added a layer of cake broken into bite sized pieces. Then I added a generous helping of the coconut cream pudding, followed by the cool whip/cream of coconut mixture and a layer of sliced bananas and completely covered that layer with shredded coconut. I repeated this two more times (3 layers in all) and garnished the top with a strawberry.


It looked pretty and delicious when it was layered in the dish!


It tasted oh so good!.....and everyone loved it! I did not bring any leftovers home with me for good reasons!

I love trifles! It is a fancier way of presenting a cake and certainly an easier way of toting a layered cake to a special event. The layers can't slide in the dish! I have at least 4 trifle desserts that have become family favorites over the years! 

I will leave you with a link to Kitty's Coconut Cake. ( Click Here ) I like adding the cream of coconut to the whipped topping! Thank you Kitty! 
If you get a chance to visit Kitty, you'll have to check out her other mouth watering recipes as well. I think she may just have a tea cup or set of dishes that coordinates with every dessert she whips up!

Have a lovely day friends!

22 comments:

  1. Dearest Linda, what a fabulous and oh-so-tasty idea. One of my dad's favorite pies is coconut cream banana pie so I'm sure he would LOVE this. So woud my hubby and son :)

    Thanks for sharing. May you have a wonderful week! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, if your dad loves that pie, he will certainly love this! It was wonderful! Hope your week is off to a great start! xo

      Delete
  2. I got here as fast as I could when I saw this on IG! Girl, you know how to throw a kink in a gals diet plans!
    Oh my gosh-this is incredible. Going to pin this pretty dessert and it is so perfect for Spring and all of the happy gatherings too!
    Happy Monday:)
    xo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jemma, I really do! I put a giant kink in my own diet plans! Starting over on a diet, once again....the saga continues! Have a great week!!!!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  3. Oh sweet Linda, thanks for mentioning my recipe, and I love how you tweaked it into a yummy trifle!! I'm sure your dad and everyone else was thrilled with the results. An empty trifle dish is a good sign! You'll have to share your other favorite trifles with us.
    Happy week to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitty,
      I really do like carrying deserts a la trifle dish....(I usually call them dump cakes, because I dump everything into a bowl or dish!) The orange trifle has a link on my sidebar, so does the black forest one. I'll have to post the others at some point! Thanks for your idea, it made a big yummy difference! Happy week to you too Kitty!

      Delete
  4. Yummy...whenever I make Coconut cake---I always add coconut milk not water to the cake mix. A friend told me to do that, and yes, it makes a big difference. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! that's an excellent idea Linda! I will definitely try that! I had some too and didn't even give it a thought. Do you use unsweetened? Thanks for the tip! Have a great rest of the week! xo
      Linda

      Delete
  5. Oh my word Linda this looks amazing! I hope to try this; perhaps when the weather warms up (it's still winter-like in CO!) and we start having outdoor meals : ) Thank you for sharing; looks totally yummy; especially with your (& Kitty's) tweaks! Have a blessed week, Karen O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Karen,
      It's cold here in NH too...just turned my heat on and made myself a cup of tea! I'm chilled to the bone! Yes, this is very good! It makes a lot and 3/4 of the cake fills my trifle dish and gives me three layers. It's fun to make and so so tasty! Enjoy the rest of the week!

      Delete
  6. oh my that does sound delicious, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie,
      It really was delicious!!! Someone else just gave me a tip....she said to use coconut milk in place of the water in the cake mix! Sounds like a great idea! Thanks for stopping by Connie!

      Delete
  7. Mmm . . . this looks delicious! My mom made trifle for Christmas every year, so it has good memories for me. Never tried it with bananas and coconut; my husband would love this! xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah,
      My husband and father really liked it. It was actually my dad's birthday cake! We all enjoyed it!!! HOpe all is well! xo
      Linda

      Delete
  8. Oh wow Linda!! This is going to be a must for me to make, As Stephanie said, banana coconut cream pie is my dear husbands all time favorite pie.
    Don't you just love tweaking a recipe? :) You did a great job with Kitty's recipe.

    Have a beautiful day, sweet friend~~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Debbie,
      Yes it's a must make again dessert for me! I do love tweaking recipes. Especially when it comes to carrying them to other people's homes.....I made the mistake of carrying a 4 layer cake to a party once. The layers slid during the brief car ride--we called it an EARTHCAKE! Probably about a 5.0 on the richter scale though it still tasted pretty good. So now everything goes in a trifle dish! Thanks for stopping by. It really is so nice to have you back!!!!xoxo
      Linda

      Delete
    2. Linda, You gave me a good laugh at your "EARTHCAKE" haha :) I too have experienced a few of those precious cargo items move around while being transported.
      Thank you for your kind words.
      Have a great day~~

      Delete
  9. How thoroughly scrumptious looking! I love a good trifle. My paternal grandma would treat us to at least a couple a year, made with fresh raspberries from her backyard garden, when I was growing up and thus I automatically associate them with spring and summer. So much so in fact, that they've become something I routinely make for my own birthday dessert come July.

    Wishing you a beautiful start of May,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jessica,
    Just found your sweet comment from May!!!! Thank you for stooping by. It is a delicious recipe. I would love to try a raspberry trifle....I love raspberry desserts!! If you have a recipe I would love to hear about it!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jessica,
    Just found your sweet comment from May!!!! Thank you for stooping by. It is a delicious recipe. I would love to try a raspberry trifle....I love raspberry desserts!! If you have a recipe I would love to hear about it!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete