Wednesday, March 2, 2016

A Walk in the Park and an Easy Oatmeal Cookie Recipe



This past weekend my husband and I took our dog Ellie for a walk in a local park. It was a pretty dreary day and we were expecting rain so we got out in the morning to avoid the rainfall.


Ellie always leads the way and takes us down the path that she wants to investigate. She is so happy when she is outside so she gets regular, long walks every day.



This is one of my favorite places to walk. Depending on the season, you never know what you'll run into for wildlife. We have seen lots of ducks, heron, an eagle, a crane, deer, turtles.....you get the drift. I have put in many miles walking this park with family, friend and furbies, (my late and present dogs)


This cluster of birch trees has many sets of carved initials in them. I love birch trees. We had several in our yard that did not survive the heavy snow and ice several winters ago. We thought they might bounce back but sadly they did not and my husband had to cut them down. 


As you can see, the water was very high and moving swiftly. Though we have not had much snow this winter, we have had our share of rain. Last year at this time, we measured snow in feet! Not the case this year!


As we approached a bridge, Ellie's tail began to wag.  She loves crossing over this bridge and every time we cross, she stops to look down at the water. There is often floating debris and it catches her attention every time. Sometimes it is a ball or a large tree branch caught in the current.....


After we crossed the bridge, my husband tried a few times to get a photo of Ellie and I both facing the camera at the same time. We tried once....


We tried twice.....


and it appeared that the third time was a charm until I saw the goofy face I was making....oh well...


We walked down an embankment and Ellie noticed the balls stuck in the waterfall.....they kept shooting up in the air and that looked like good fun to her!


There were actually three bouncing balls in the water but they were hard to capture in a photo. In this photo there is a soccer ball that is almost in the center of the picture. Ellie was interested in that ball but not enough to warrant a retrieval. (Thankfully)

As it was just starting to sprinkle, it was time to leave. I completed 6,000 of my 10,000 steps before 10am.

Now I will get to the cookies. I was starving when I got home. I should have made a healthy early lunch but instead I raided a plate of oatmeal cookies that I had baked the day before:  Mom's Oatmeal Cookies. Here is the recipe in my mom's very own handwriting!



So easy to whip up!


First batch....


Second Batch...



Third batch....

These are the best cookies! I remember waaaaay back in the day, coming home from school and smelling these cookies baking in the oven. OH HAPPY DAY! They have always been one of my favorite cookies! 

After a walk in the park, I deserve a cookie or two....don't I? Of course now I probably need another walk in the park....




15 comments:

  1. I baked oatmeal cookies for my kids last week! I knew everyone would like them and they would be good for packing in picnic lunches. My recipe is almost identical to your Mom's. I think I used 2 eggs and that was the only difference. I saw your sweet pink bunny was featured on another blog! We all love it! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      Thank you! Yes, the bunny did get around last week. I am way behind on the others....Oatmeal cookies are probably my favorite cookie, guess we think alike! Great minds? I bet your family enjoyed your oatmeal cookies. I'm ashamed to say how many I have eaten this week. Well, another weekend is almost upon us. Time sure flies! Have a good one! Xoxo
      Linda

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful walk, Linda! You're so lucky to be surrounded by all that beauty (you and Ellie, too!).
    Oatmeal cookies are my all-time favorite cookie in the whole wide world!! I must make a batch soon...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Kitty! Thanks for dropping in! Yes, it really is a beautiful park. I used to do a 4 1/2 mile loop with my friend every morning. I need to start doing that again! Especially after all the cookies I ate! I think pratically everyone likes oatmeal cookies!! I tend to like anything with butterscotch type flavor, brown sugar, etc. I actually prefer chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate chips so I always bake a chipless dozen for myself. Lol! Enjoy the day, see you at the teacup swap soon!
      Xoxo
      Linda

      Delete
  3. Hi Linda, Good Morning sweet friend. I loved taking this walk with you. Such a beautiful spot by the water. Eillie is adorable. You two took some darling photos together. Makes me really miss my Miss Beazy!! She might have jumped in after those balls. She loved to swim.
    Thank you for sharing your mom's cookie recipe. This is one of my favs too.
    Loved seeing your pink bunny featured this week around blogland.
    Have a great weekend dear one. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning my friend! So nice to hear from you! Yes, i know what it's like to miss a beloved pet. After our Willie passed away I was so sad. Miss Ellie was in dire need of a rescue, expecting a litter of pups. After she had 11 pups, we drove to NY to get her. What an amazing dog! We adore her! She sure loves her walks and being outside. This park is a nice, safe place to take a long walk beside the river. LOL, Willie would've dragged me in for the balls too!

    The cookies were a nice treat after our walk. Got to get back into a walking daily routine!

    Regarding my pink bunny, thank you. I was very surprised by all the attention she got and very appreciative! Have a lovely day!
    Xoxo
    Linda


    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you getting all those steps in, does look like a great area to walk around, glad she didn't go for the balls, that would have been a chilly time. I remember when our dog was young and she jumped in after the ducks, oh my we had to go in and pull her out. Our dog is afraid to walk over bridges, she tip toes like she is walking over hot coals, it is funny to watch, sometimes I end up having to pick her up and carry her over. Love the pics of you with your furbaby, they are like kids you never know what you will end up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie,
      Funny you mentioned that about the ducks. One day last fall Ellie stuck her nose into some brush and suddenly she started pulling and ducks started squawking. Apparently they were all resting in some bushes near the side of the river. Ellie thought she had hit the jackpot and it took both of us to pull her out. Luckily no ducks were hurt. Also, our new fie was afraid of bridges too. He would get part way across and lay down completely flat and would not budge. You are right, it is comical. Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your story about your dog. I'm a bit obsessed with dogs and love hearing about other people's dogs!!! Have a great day!
      Linda

      Delete
  6. I so loved to walk togeteher with you and your Ellie in this so lovely park, my darling Linda !
    Your cookies, well, do look so good, I'd love to taste them :) !
    Sending much love to you I wish you a most wonderful end of your week ahead, sweetest friend of mine !
    Blessings
    xox
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dany,
      That would be so nice. Wouldn't it? It's nice to walk there any time of the year. I think I've walked in every kind of weather. It is very beautiful to walk off trail in the adjacent woods during a snow storm. It's so quiet you can hear the snow falling. I love that.

      Yes, the cookies were good!.....and now they are gone. Hope you have a nice weekend my friend!
      Hugs,
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Hi Linda :)

    It's really beautiful where you live, even if it is dreary.

    I'd like to jump through my computer to get some of those cookies, but I have some weight to lose, so I'll hold off ;)

    rue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rue, thank you! It is beautiful here! And you would've been in luck because I removed all the calories from these cookies. BUT now they are all gone! ;) enjoy the weekend!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda!
    Great pics from your walk! I love seeing all that water rushing down. I will copy your Mom's recipe for the oatmeal cookies and give them a try. I love her Spinach Pie so I'm sure I will love her cookies too! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning Dearest,
    Oh how enjoyed seeing photos of you and Ellie. I have missed you, but I know how many things you have going on in your life right now.
    You made the very most of your dreary day and by the end of it, it wasn't so dreary at all, it was filled with interesting photos and oh of course your delicious cookies!
    Thank you for sharing the recipe with us.
    xoxo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Linda! I'm a bit late to your walk! I enjoyed every picture you took, and I agree, what a wonderful place to be able to get out and enjoy the beauty of nature! Ellie sure is a beauty, and such lovely pictures of both of you! My dogs don't like to look at the camera either, isn't that funny! And those oatmeal cookies sure look delicious, I was looking for a good recipe the other day, and ended up making no bakes instead. I think I'll try your recipe, it sounds delicious, and I know its tried and true {smiles}... Hope you are having a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete