Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Bedspreads and Bunnies



Hello friends! It's been a little while since my last post but I have been busy! For the last couple of days I've been working on some little stuffed Easter Bunnies. It began when my father was about to toss out an old bedspread, but being well trained, he asked me first if it was something I could recycle. Well, yah!


I took it home and washed it up. It came out of the dryer looking like new!

Then I grabbed a handful of scrap paper and began drawing a pattern that I could use to make the stuffed bunny. Since the bedspread was ivory, I thought a "white chocolate bunny" was the way to go. I used the entire stack of scrap paper trying to draw the pattern. I do not have the best drawing skills but I finally arrived at something I could live with.

I took the pattern into the computer room and made copies in several sizes.....they will come in handy for some other Easter projects I have in mind.


The first two bunnies turned out like this!  They are quite cute actually! Then I got to thinking how cute these little bunnies would look in other colors. I did happen to have some pink fabric dye so I gave it a whirl.


I cut a small piece and dyed it. The color came out so nice! At this point I made a mental note to add additional dye colors to my next sewing/craft supply list! It's a full sized bedspread so I am envisioning many other sewing projects and fabric dye will give me so many options.....


Here is the first little pink bunny I made. It's about 8 1/2" tall. I removed some crocheted edging from a vintage pillowcase and used it for the trim around its neck. The bow is only pinned on in the photo. I am going to pick up some wider organza ribbon and then go hunting in my large collection of vintage trimmings for some additional embellishments.


This one is a larger version at about 10 1/2" tall. She is not completely trimmed yet, none of them are stitched at the bottom and all may end up trimmed a little differently than shown here.


I do love the little pink bunnies! 


My bunnies are reproducing quickly. In this photo you can see I used some cotton canvas which also stitched up well.


Today I will decide how they will be embellished and then I plan to make some matching pom poms for their tails. They still have to have their openings stitched closed and some may even need a little more stuffing. I plan to work on some of the finishing touches and hand sewing tonight while watching a little TV.

Once I get my bunnies completely finished I will post an updated photo. My days are still quite full with some family obligations so my projects take a bit more time to complete and my posts are not as frequent.  My heart is still here though and I think of my dear blogging friends every day! Hope you are all well!




UPDATE:  2/27/16  Click HERE to see update on bunnies.


"Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple
 and learn how to handle them, and
pretty soon you have a dozen."
John Steinbeck



Sharing at:

The Enchanting Rose





Thoughts of Home on Thursday--Please check out the blogs of all 4 talented hosts listed below!





30 comments:

  1. These are just darling! I found you via Roses of Inspiration and I thank you for the sweet inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jes! I just briefly stopped by to visit your blog, loved your potholder covers and look forward to checking out more of your blog! Have a lovely day!
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Linda, your bunnies are gorgeous. I love that you recycled them from an old bedspread. You have trained your dad well. I too, have a penchant for the pink bunnies.....they are so, so very sweet.....but then, they all are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim,
      Thank you for stopping by and thank you for your kind comment! I do love to recycle and I laugh every time someone asks me if I can recycle an old item they are about to throw away! Just came from your blog and was admiring your beautiful tea cozy! It is so uniquely adorable!
      Linda

      Delete
  3. They are so adorable and like that you made them from a bedspread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty! Turns out that the bedspread fabric is very easy to work with too. Looking forward to using it on other projects. Thanks for stopping by!
      Linds

      Delete
  4. Your mutilpying bunnies are SEW, SEW cute, Linda!! I love that you recycled the bedspread to make them and the pink color turned out great. I may have to make a few of those bunnies myself. I do have a little boy and girl bunny that I made years ago, that have clothes. You always trim your projects so prettily. Thanks for the lovely inspiration, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitty,
      Thank you Kitty for your sweet comment! I really love working with this heavy cotton. It helps that it was in such good condition. I picked up some other dyes so that I can experiment a bit with color. Looking forward to that! Got some nasty weather coming tonight and lasting into tomorrow so hope to work on it then. Have a lovely evening Kitty!
      Xo
      Linda

      Delete
  5. Linda, I love your designer bunnies. The pattern you created is awesome. Love the colors for spring and Easter. These are simply charming. The pink color came out fabulous. Love all the trims you added. So glad your Dad asked you about the bedspread. You sure put it to good use with your talents. You have me wanting to make a few now. Love the sweet quote at the end. Thanks for sharing and inspiring. Have fun sewing and creating sweet friend. Blessings xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celeste! I had fun stitching up these little bunnies! Grabbed some dye last night so hope to find time to add more colors! Thanks for dropping by, I always appreciate your visits and sweet comments! Enjoy the rest of the week! xoxo
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Linda,
    I am so glad that your Dad asked you about the fabric before he tossed the bedspread out!
    These bunnies have such class, warmth and style. Love each and everyone, you do have such talent.
    Thinking of you daily and sending warm thoughts and hugs,
    xo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jemma,
      Yes, imagine all the items that get tossed out that could easily be reused! Makes my head spin!! :) These are very easy to whip up and such fun. (though I don't care for the step of turning them right side out.) As you can imagine, the embellishing part is the most enjoyable! Thanks for your lovely comment and thank you for thinking of me!!! xoxo
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness these are all adorable and so glad your Father knows better to throw something away before he has asked you if you could use it, great idea with the die to make pink ones too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie,
      yup, Father knows best! LOL! Thank you so much! Picked up some other dye colors and anxious to begin some bunnies in other colors! Thank yo for stopping by, I always appreciate your visits and comments!
      Linda

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ann! I appreciate both your visit and your comment! Just stopped by your blog quickly and I will be back. Tried to be a google follower but it didn't work so I will log in from another device to follow you. Have a nice day!
      Linda

      Delete
  9. Dearest Linda, I am in love with your adorable little bunnies! The colors and design are perfect! And the embellishments around the neck...too sweet.

    Thinking of you, sweet friend, and wishing you a beautiful day. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,
      Thank you so much! Took some time today to rework the embellishments. Thank you for thinking of me. You have a wonderful day too!! Its a gorgeous one here in NH!
      xoxo
      Linda

      Delete
  10. Linda Dear,
    I am so happy to see your bunnies on Thoughts Of Home On Thursday!
    They delight me and you joining us does too!
    xxo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Jemma,
      Happy to be joining in! Thanks!!!
      xoxo
      Linda

      Delete
  11. Those bunnies are absolutely adorable!

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rue!......and thanks for stopping by. Have a lovely week, Linda

      Delete
  12. How much sweetness and love you share on your lovely blog !
    Thanks most sincerely for the beautiful comment you left on ~ My little old world ~ I appreciated so much, and for adding to my followers, thing which gave me so much joy !
    I'm following you back !

    May your Sunday be blessed with love
    xo
    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniela,
      Thank you too for following me and for leaving such a nice comment. I enjoyed my visit to your blog. Looking forward to reading some more when I get a few minutes!! Hope you have a wonderful week!
      Xo
      Linda

      Delete
  13. Simply adorable, and how awesome that you crafted your own pattern for them! I like the idea of dying the fabric for more color options... I can see a bit of purple and green showing up in some of your creations, lol! And I loved the quote, ideas are like rabbits, you get a couple, and soon you have a dozen... love it! Have fun with all your sweet little creations! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn,
      Somehow I missed this comment, found it just now! Thank you so much! Yup I am thinking of using those colors, lol! Dying is fun, wish I had more time to experiment with it! Hope your week was off to a nice start!
      Xo
      Linda

      Delete
  14. I adore how you repurposed an old bedspread and bits of doilies! I am a bit late in visiting due to it being college finals week for me but I am so very happy you joined Thought of Home on Thursday and shared this delightful gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope your finals went well and your busy week is behind you. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and for leaving your sweet comment. I appreciate it so much! Also happy to join in Thoughts of Home!
      Linda

      Delete
  15. Those bunnies are so adorable. How clever to re-purpose old bedspreads. These would delight anyone. I invite you to share these lovely bunnies at our link party, Dishing It & Digging It on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      Thank you very much....just linked up a link to my latest bunny post but includes a link to this original post. Thank you for the invitation! I'll head over to take a look at some links!
      Linda

      Delete