Sunday, April 26, 2015

Afternoon Project--Sew Fun, Sew Easy, Sew Sweet


On Friday I was sorting through my stash of fabric looking for a couple of  prints that would coordinate nicely for some hot mats that I wanted to stitch up for a birthday gift. I found this floral print chintz (stamped Bloomcraft 1987) and this small rose, floral print that I thought would be just perfect for my late afternoon sewing project. 

First, I made these two large hot mats. I liked these two fabrics 
   even more after they were sewn together. Finished, each block is about 9" square (6 1/2 " floral square with an 1 1/2" border.) They are top-stitched and the block is also stitched in the ditch.


Front and back views....(not ironed yet)


Then I decided to make a set of four mug mats to match the hot mats. The fabric has many little blocks of these sweet little floral designs so I wanted to include as many of the flowers as possible in my project. I top-stitched these as well.


Here are all four.....the florals are so pretty. There are additional flowers on the back of each mug mat as well but I forgot to photograph them.


They all look so pretty together.


I tied up the mug mats with a strip torn from the rose fabric. Perfect little touch!


This was a fun, easy project and it took less than two hours to create. I love the vintage fabrics and it was perfectly blocked for making the smaller mug mats. The main fabric is even stamped as stain resistant.

Oops! I almost forgot the gift enclosure card!


For the card I used some kraft cardstock and a block of the fabric. I stitched the fabric onto the cardstock using a zigzag stitch and for a final touch I attached a torn strip of the rose fabric through a hole made with a round paper punch.


It makes a pretty cute ensemble.....


I am happy that I have so much of this floral print left over. After seeing how cute they look all completed, I have to make a couple more sets for gifts!


UPDATE:  4/27/2015

I stitched up the second hot mat gift set this afternoon. The set looks very similar with the exception of the border on the larger pair of hot mats. Also, I did not top stitch the borders because I used a bulkier batting between the layers and did not want to bind up my sewing machine trying to go over the extra thickness.



Larger hot mats


Front side of mug mats


Back side of mug mats


Hot mats, mug mats and gift enclosure card.

The second set went together more quickly and I enjoyed sewing it as much as the first! 

Linking this post up to:

Cozy Little House: Tweak it Tuesday #139


The Enchanting Rose

My Salvaged Treasures