Saturday, July 4, 2015

Red, White and Blue Torte



Happy Fourth of July friends! I hope that you are all enjoying your families and festivities! This year we are celebrating the Fourth of July much more quietly than in years past. Our three daughters are unable to be here with us to celebrate but I still wanted to pull out some red, white and blue to make the day a bit festive. I also had to make our favorite red, white and blue strawberry and blueberry torte. I have been making this dessert on July 4th for years and years and I am a stickler for traditions... and so the tradition continues!




I posted the recipe for this torte a couple of years ago when my daughter requested it for her birthday. The original post with the recipe is here. I believe I left the blueberries out of that particular cake but you will want to put blueberries in if you make this delightfully delicious cake as part of your Fourth of July menu.

The creamy filling  is a combination of whipping cream, confectioner's sugar, cream cheese and almond extract. It is layered with strawberries and vanilla almond cake and on the top layer I add 50 blueberries. Yes, I counted them out, one for every state in the Union. If I had a bigger dish and a larger crowd to help us eat it, I would absolutely make 7 red layers and 6 white.




Since I will be enjoying some torte with hot tea (it is cool and rainy today) I have a reason to pull out my little blue and white starred teapot. Isn't is the cutest thing? A friend of mine (she is a fellow tea lover) gave this teapot to me for Christmas. I love it! I wonder if I can find a red and white striped teapot to go with it?


 


Of course I also got out my red, white and blue candle holders that Diane made--she blogs over at (The Checkered Apple) I won them in her giveaway last summer and I use them whenever I need a little red, white and blue!




So the torte is chilling in the fridge, and later on this evening my parents will be stopping by for
dessert and coffee/tea. They have enjoyed this treat for many years, so this year should be no different.


"Every good citizen makes his country's honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious but as sacred. He is willing to risk his life in defense and is conscious that he gains protections where he gives it."
Andrew Jackson


God Bless America!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,
    Your dessert sure looks great! So festive! Have a great day with your hubby and folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane and Happy 4th of July to you! I've been thinking of you since I pulled out my patriotic candle holders that you made. They have received compliments!!!!.....and I love them. We had a nice visit with my paremts, thank you!
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Yummy in my tummy! Your dessert looks absolutely delicious and oh-so-refreshing. I hope your 4th of July was wonderful. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Sunday to you Stephanie! Thank you, it is quite yummy indeed! The bowl always empties quickly! Hope you had a lovely 4th. Ours was quiet but nice!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  3. Oh... Dearest Linda! What a delightful dessert to make for the Fourth...as I have mentioned to a few of my sweet American friends over the past few days, I do so wish we celebrated it here in Sourh Africa! It sounds like such a wonderful, festive occasion:)
    Your torte is just perfect...and it looks ever so delicious as well! I just love traditions...there is something uniquely special about them, isn't there...?
    Aww! And your teapot is beyond adorable...as are the candlesticks you won!
    I hope you are enjoying a beautiful, joy-filled weekend!
    Hugs and much, much love to you!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly-Anne! It is always so nice to hear from you! Your comments are always so enthusiastic and positive! It is a fun holiday to celebrate for sure! And yes, traditions are special and important to keep alive. It has been a very nice weekend, I hope yours has been too. Love to you,
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Hi Dear Linda, Love the delicious dessert you make and thank you for the recipe. Oh it looks so good. Love your tea pot with the stars and the candle holders are adorable. I have painted many of these over the years and I love the idea your friend used with the little cherries. Too cute. Your red, white and blue is perfect with the backdrop of your newest banner you shared in a previous post. Hope you enjoyed a great 4th and having a nice weekend.
    Hugs and Blessings my friend, cm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Celestina,
      Hope you are enjoying the weekend and had a nice 4th as well! I bet you have painted some beautiful candlesticks, and yes the little cherries are so sweet! I am so envious of you talented painters!!!!! Thank you for visiting me today and for your lovely comment. Hope you are enjoying some better weather in Texas. It seems as though you have already had your fair share of inclement weather! Take care, blessings....
      Sending hugs,
      Linda

      Delete
  5. Oh Linda!
    Aren't these layered desserts wonderful and when I read the ingredients I said to myself-this is one of those wonderful recipes. I just had to smile when you said that you counted out 50 Blueberries, you are an all American girl! Cutest little teapot ever, I adore it and everything goes together perfectly. Isn't that something how that works out, we get pieces here and there and then all at once they blend together as if they were mean to from the start. You put together an outstanding and patriotic Fourth of July vignette!
    Many Hugs and wishes for a lovely week!
    xo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Jemma,
      Yes it is so neat how we collect various pieces that somehow turn out to fit in somewhere so perfectly while decorating. Yes, i did count the blueberries.....sure beats counting the calories! Did I mention that I used cream cheese with 1/3 fewer calories?? Lol...thanks for dropping by and your sweet comments, so appreciated. Hope you had a nice 4th! Have a wonderful week Jemma!
      Xoxo
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Hi Linda :)

    Well, I certainly pinned that! It looks wonderful. And your vignette is very sweet :)

    xo,
    rue



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rue,
      Thank you so much for visiting! I appreciate the comment and the pin! Have a great day!!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete