Thursday, July 9, 2015

Cosmetic Bags--A Trio.





Good morning friends! My post for today was initially going to be two separate posts but due to lack of time this past week, I will be condensing it to one....a twofer if you will.

On Tuesday I played around with my cosmetic pouch pattern and some vintage fabrics and lace.  I happen to have some of this (I call it salmon colored) fabric leftover from prior projects and I love it. Its a moire taffeta that makes these little projects look so elegant. I have used it on my vintage inspired hearts and other little ornaments. 

Anyways, I made up this little bag shown above, added a little faux quilt pocket and some vintage lace. It turned out so well....I was mostly curious to see if adding additional bulk (from adding lace in the top seam) would make it difficult to sew....it wasn't too bad and an additional row of top stitching helped to flatten the added thickness.


Here is the inside lining. I used a pretty floral fabric that was dated 1990 on the salvage edge.

Since I had plenty of this fabric I decided to try a couple versions....


This one obviously has no lace added, the quilt is actually quilted and is sewed down on all four sides.
This one turned out just as well,  and it occurred to me that these could also be used as a clutch because they were that cute and elegant!...... so I tried one more.....


......and as it turns out, the third was a charm. This is my favorite! I would definitely use this as a clutch for an evening out. I have at least three lace sweaters this would go nicely with! 


These make such lovely gifts on their own and anyone can make them. Yes, even you!!! They would make such nice bridal attendants gifts for a vintage wedding.....


They can be filled with goodies too if you feel as though the gift isn't quite complete on its own.


Or....tuck in a coordinating item....or two....



Here I've added a pillow, an embellished votive and a roll of vintage lace.

These zippered bags are a wonderful first project if you are a beginner sewist. I used three different methods for making these to see which one I preferred and let me tell you that the jury is still out! One method adds an additional step (the main fabric and lining are stitched to the zipper separately and not blindly, instead of  sewing a fabric/interfacing/lining sandwich) and this makes the stitching easier because the zipper is visible.  Another method assures that the corners come out a little more square.....I guess it all comes down to personal preference. My way may not be your way or the only way.

At any rate, you should not be afraid to try stitching these up yourself. It's "SEW" nice to have these skills when you need a gift for a special occasion. Once you've mastered the basics, the sky's the limit. You can turn an ordinary cosmetic case into a cosmetic case extraordinaire!

Have a wonderful day!



Linking this post with:

The Enchanting Rose

14 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, oh I just love your gorgeous bags. They are so pretty with all the special additions and accents. Love the lace and the lining on the pretty salmon color fabric. These would make beautiful evening clutches like you said. What a great gift set too.
    Your talents are such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing the fun you had in a twofer post.
    Blessings my friend, Hugs, cm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday Celeste!
      Thank you very much! Yes, I agree they could be evening clutches....I have a good stash of velvet that I am dying to work with! So many projects, so little time! Thanks as always for dropping by and for leaving your lovely comment! I hope you have a nice weekend!
      Blessings to you too Celeste!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Oh, I agree! I love the third one best, too. Something about that lace just looks perfect with the color of the bag. Lovely! Sweet hugs and happy sewing, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane,
      Yes, we often think alike!!! I love that lace, it was actually a corner of a small table runner. the good news is that there are still three corners left! LOL! xoxo to you too and hope you are continuing to sew up a storm!
      Linda

      Delete
  3. My sweet friend, we have been thinking alike for I, too, just made some cosmetic bags {{smiles}} Yours are so pretty, Linda! You know I LOVE the heart that I purchased from your shop and seeing these matching bags made my heart smile :) You do such beautiful work.

    Much love and big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Stephanie, I would sure love to see your cosmetic bags! It is so funny....I actually laughed out loud when I saw your post on pocket cards! I had just been working earlier in the day on making a version of my own, by stitching up the paper, but in the form of a notecard, folded in the middle....my pockets are on the inside and outside! Your version is so neat and all look so pretty nestled together! You are a talented girl for sure.....I am so envious of the younger crowd who have all these crafting opportunities today. The internet has its downfalls but for the craftaholic it is a blessing!!! Keep up the good work and inspiration!!!

      Love to you too Stephanie.
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Linda, You are so creative with your beautiful fabrics and trims! I love them all and the pillow is pretty too! The embellished candle is a great gift idea. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane!
      Thank you very much! Happy that you stopped by for a visit! Hope you had a wonderful weekend! I had a very full weekend I'm ready for a nap!!! LOL! Enjoy the week ahead!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  5. Hi Linda, love viewing your gorgeous bags once again. Are you planning on adding a few to your shop? Thank you for stopping by my creative space and your kind comment. Have a great new week my friend and blessings to you always.
    Hugs, cm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you Celestina! Yes, I will be adding a couple bags to my ETSY shop this week. I hope you are enjoying your week too! It's a hot and muggy week here!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Dearest Linda,
    Your cosmetic bags are beautiful and I am really enjoying this salmon/coral color. They can be used for many other purposes as well, your inspiration is always a joy for me.
    Have a lovely evening, dear friend,
    xoxo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jemma,
      Thank you so much for your kind words as always! Yes, they can be used for many things....I for one, can never have enough of these little bags. Enjoy the rest of the week!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Oooh, yes! I love the clutch especially!

    Believe it or not, I actually did sew in my younger years. I was never the tailor that my mother was--she made almost all the clothes for me and my 3 younger sisters--but I did make a lot of my daughter's clothes and home projects. And then one day my dear daughter-in-law asked if she could borrow my rather dusty sewing machine and I said "take it!" It has been a joy to me to see her take sewing lessons, carrying my granddaughter on her hip when she was just a couple of months old. And now she makes a lot of both their little girls' clothes.

    Don't you just love seeing young women today interested in the "domestic arts" again? I do.

    Linda, I just read your sweet comment on my post. Thank you so much!
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dewena, I do love that so many younger ones are interested in "domestic arts" again......I got the "bug" from my mom who sewed pretty steadily up until a few years ago. She is 83. She made all of my clothes when I was young. I have made my share of dresses, costumes and skating dresses for my 3 daughters over the years. Now it is fun doing smaller projects that use a bit more imagination. I imagine you were quite the seamstress when you used to sew! You are quite welcome Dewena, I am just happy that you came back so quickly! I was wondering how long I would be without a dose of your wisdom!!!!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete