Thursday, June 25, 2015

Star Spangled Banner



One afternoon while looking for craft supplies (I was googling sources for ribbon) I came across a flag made from torn strips of fabric. I fell in love with the whole idea and have been wanting to make once for myself ever since. The photo I saw was at Ribbon.com. Since then, they have popped up on  PINTEREST and other craft sites and blogs. I love looking at the various flags to see everyone's take on the project, the different trims and ribbons used etc. They are all wonderful in their own, unique way!

So last Friday evening I ran out to Joanne Fabrics to gather some supplies to make my version of the flag I admired on Ribbon.com. I had the entire weekend to myself as my husband was out of town so I thought it would be the perfect chance to accomplish this project.


I tore some red, white and blue fabrics into strips and gathered additional coordinating trims. I used a cranberry red, cream and darker blue as these colors are more in line with colors found in my home.


13 stripes--1 for each of the 13 British colonies that declared their independence from Great Britain.
I wanted to make sure I got it right....begin with red, end with red....first long stripe is white.


Then I cut various trims to match each red and white stripe. I stitched them on to the fabric at the very top.


Here you can see the various trims used.

 I shirred them onto a wooden dowel after sewing a rod pocket at the top. Before I placed the last two stripes on, the dowel snapped. Grrrrr! My husband took note of my frustration and ran to get a rod that he had stored in the basement! Thank you to my husband for saving the day!


Another closeup


Note the position of the field of blue stars. The field of blue (the Union) should be on the upper left as shown when hanging in this position. Click HERE for further information on properly displaying the American Flag. 


Here is my flag hanging on a wall of my livingroom....


Here it is again suspended from a tree in my back yard, waving in a gentle breeze. I think I am going to add some additional lace to add a bit more fullness to it. I ran out of rick rack and wide lace trim just before the last two full stripes. I think I will also add a piece of lace to the top over the rod pocket.


This project requires minimal sewing. If you can stitch a straight line then you can easily whip up your own version of this flag in no time for your July 4th celebration.



"Oh say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave."

Francis Scott Key





14 comments:

  1. Linda,
    I enjoyed so many things about this post-first off this flag is beautiful-so creative and so inspiring.
    No matter where you hang it, it will look beautiful. I actually needed a refresher course on my History of our Independence!
    I hope you are doing well and enjoying the last days of June!
    xoxo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jemma,
      I saw it at ribbon.com. I thought that it was a really creative idea. I wanted to have more tan colors in mine but then realized I didn't want to use my vintage lace on this particular project because it would take yards. If I had it displayed longer I probably would have been more inclined to add some. Regarding the history of our independence, I think it is such interesting history, and I have always thought our flag was beautiful. I love red, white and blue and I love the words to our national anthem!

      I can't believe how fast June is flying and we have had some gorgeous weather! Hope you are enjoying it too!
      xoxo
      Linda

      Delete
  2. I am loving your sweet flag, Linda! This is the third shabby flag that I have seen in the last couple of weeks and every time I see one I think to myself that I should make one :) I just love the lace and frayed fabric.

    Have a beautiful afternoon! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, you should make one! So easy and it makes a pretty big splash of holiday color. Mine's about 40" long. Quick and easy!

      Have a nice afternoon as well...it's so beautiful today! Xo
      Linda

      Delete
  3. Hi Linda, love your wonderful flag. It looks gorgeous hanging inside and out. You did such a beautiful job. I would love to make one some time. Thank you for sharing.
    Enjoy these last days of June my friend!
    Hugs and Blessings, cm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celestina,
      Happy July! Thank you so much! It went together pretty quickly. Hope you have a lovely holiday weekend!!!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda :)

    The flag turned out really cute!

    I'm so glad you stopped by my blog, so that I could find yours :)

    Have a beautiful day!

    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rue,
      I just found this comment, I had been away and somehow missed it! Thank you very much for stopping by and for the lovely comment! Enjoy the rest of the week!
      Linda

      Delete
  5. I love it...what a great idea! I wonder if I could make a small version of it. Happy fourth of July my friend. Have a fun weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      Yes, you could easily adapt this to any size....just refer to a photo for the dimensions to get the right size for the field of blue. Happy fourth to you too Diane! It's going to be a pretty quiet weekend actually! xo
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Your flag is lovely, Linda! I'm sure it will become a heirloom passed down to display every 4th of July. And thank you for the link to proper display of the flag. I have an old 48 star flag that I wanted to hang from the barn and I always forget which way to display it.

    Happy 4th!
    Dewena

    P.S. A new post of yours showed on my blogroll but I can't seem to get to it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dewena,
      Thank you! You should display that flag 48 star flag! I love old flags....We were looking at them in an antique shop earlier in the week and some of them are pretty pricey! Yours would look so nice hanging from your barn! If you hang it for the 4th you can put a photo up and do a post, lol....I'd love to see it. I bet the post you are referring to is one that I have not finished. We have been away and I tried to work on a post from my phone and I hit publish by mistake( before I was finished writing it.)
      Enjoy the holiday!
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Oh Linda! I am simply in love with your gorgeous flag! What a beauty you've created here, and I am sure you had a delightful time making it too!
    Sending much love and hugs your way:)
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly-Anne,
      So nice to hear from you! Hope all is well! Thank you so much for the sweet comment!
      xoxo
      Linda

      Delete