Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Nautical or Not?





 Today I completed a tote bag constructed from painter's dropcloth. (100% cotton) I love this fabric and I love sewing with it! It does require a bit of preparation though such as washing, drying and ironing. Then I zig zag all pieces cut from the fabric to prevent freying because this stuff really freys after cutting.


This tote has a divided pocket in the front (blue and white polka dot) and inside is a canvas pocket that is also divided and a bit deeper.


Here is the back view. Looks like your classic canvas tote from the back! The polka dot lining jazzes it up a bit and lends a subtle nautical touch in the event one isn't in to anchors.

Maybe on the next tote I stitch up I will stencil or embroider an anchor on it. Anchors and everything nautical seems to be trending right now..... I can take or leave the anchors that are on so many clothing, accessories and household items.  My daughter, for instance, has everything nautical including her dorm room decor, clothing, jewelry etc. Then again, she lives by the ocean....


It looks pretty cute just hanging on the porch or sitting on a chair!!


Completing this tote crosses one thing off my to do list today but sigh....I have many more things to cross off my to do list before I go to sleep--like dinner....What's for dinner? I don't have the foggiest idea! I am off to dream up something delicious for dinner! Thank you for dropping by!




Linking up with:


Fluster Buster

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I am loving this, Linda! It is not only functional (you thought of everything) but also a classic. You know you have such talent and creativity-who cares about dinner when you can sew like this!
    As for us for dinner, fresh green beans, tossed salad, Jasmine rice and grilled chicken-and maybe a scoop of ice cream for dessert!
    Warm Hugs,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jemma! I'm fairly certain my husband was waiting (patiently) for dinner as I was posting this to my blog. LOL! Your dinner sounds delicious btw! I just love jasmine rice! We'll probably have some ice cream too!
      XO
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love it too! Nautical bags are my favorite and you made this one so cute with the pocket and lining! I've been sewing this week...finally! Hope you are well and enjoying a good week my friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! Thank you! That's right, you are a nautical fan, lol! I can't wait to see what you stitched up! I'll be by to see what you've been up to! This week is going well, hope yours is too!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  3. This is a very nice bag! Great colors and perfect for summer! I love it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anastasia,
      Thank you! How nice to hear from you! Hope all is well! Thanks for visiting me!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda, WOW I love your nautical tote. This is so cute with the polka dots, which I love for summer. You did a great job designing this and I also really love the front pockets. You are one talented lady. Thanks for sharing about the drop cloth and how it works out with fraying etc. I haven't tried to create with it yet, so this is good to know.
    Have a wonderful evening my friend.
    Hugs, CM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Celeste,
      Thank you my friend! Drop cloths can be used for so many types of projects and it has such a nice texture. Thanks for visiting me! Enjoy the test of your week!
      Xo
      Linda

      Delete
  5. Dearest Linda, oh! I am loving your darling tote bag! The polka dot fabric is just perfect!

    Hope you've had a delightful week thus far! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly-Anne,
      So nice to hear from you! Thank you so much! It's been a great week, weather has warmed up again nicely--no complaints! Hope it goes double for you!
      Hugs
      Linda

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful and charming bag, my sweet friend! The polka dots are just too cute! Thinking of you and wishing you a lovely weekend. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! Hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend as well. Take care and thanks for coming by! Xo
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Oh Linda, I just love your tote, and the polka dots are darling! I think polka dots are just plane fun. :-)
    Your creation with the pockets is a terrific idea, very useful.

    It's so good to visit with you! It seems like it has been forever long.
    I trust your week has been good?
    Sweet blessings ~ Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie!
      Thank you very much! How nice to hear from you! I have missed you my friend! The week was productive which is good! I've been thinking of you,......sending love, thoughts and prayers your way. Wishing you a relaxing weekend Debbie.
      Xo
      Linda

      Delete
  8. Thank you very much JoAnn! I appreciate the visit and the nice comment!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete