Monday, June 15, 2015

A Day in Another Century


It was a beautiful weekend! The weather was perfect with just the perfect mix of sun, breeze, blue skies and temperature! It was the kind of day that I wish we could have for six months out of the year--at least!

I did not touch a sewing machine all weekend! We spent much time outdoors enjoying the spectacular spring weather. We drove about two hours to Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, MA (Click here to visit their website) and visited an 1830's living history museum. We have been there a few times over the years with and without kids, in fact it was one of my first dates with my husband about 33 or 34 years ago.


Working in the garden.....



Since we have visited the village a few times before, we did not go into every building. Instead we walked around outside, enjoyed the beautiful trails and took in the lovely landscapes.


The fenced in fields were beautiful lush and green! Every time I came upon a fence I thought of my dear blogging friends who participate in the FENCES photograph party every week. There were many fences, and many types of fences in the village and all were so charming in their own way.




I have always been fascinated by these zig zag fences. The sheep grazing in the field don't even seem to notice me, They chose to graze in the shady part of the field. There were times I needed to find some shade too as the afternoon sun was very hot!


Walking along one of the trails we came upon this covered bridge.


It was so pretty....so quiet. I was surprised that we did not run into more people along this trail.


The mills were all so pretty and all working. We did go inside all three of the mills. (sawmill, grist mill and carding mill)

I took many, many photos. Way too many to show here, but the following photos are scenes that I could easily see myself in....


In one of the houses was this chair. Please note the knitting project in the chair and the teacup on the side table. This could have been MY chair had I lived in the 19th century!



Spinning and weaving! Yes this would be my craft room!


This is where they demonstrated the dyeing process. It was really interesting and the colors were beautiful! It was a little too warm for comfort standing near the fire though.


This little room was cozy and charming.  I could imagine myself reading in here next to a crackling fire.....sipping tea of course.


I loved the large table! I would confiscate that for my craft/sewing table! 



Here is one of the dining rooms. It was quite comfortable and the dishes and table linens were pretty. It seemed quite a bit more modern than I was expecting.


 This pretty little quilt was hanging on a stairwell in one of the houses.


We loved our visit to Old Sturbridge Village. As we were heading out, a couple of sheep beckoned us with a couple of very loud BAAAAAAAAA's!


We turned around to see two lonely rams! No one was visiting with them so we went over and gave them a couple of good ear scratches, pats on the head and some kind words.


This guy in the back wanted his fair share of attention too! He decided to try and win me over with some harmless flirtation.....


It worked! How cute is that? He is smiling for the camera!


How do you leave a face like that?  We said good-bye to them and as we left I am fairly certain that I heard, "come baaaaaaaaaack!"  I said good-bye again and we left. Such a nice day! We thoroughly enjoyed our step back in time!


Linking this post with:

The Enchanting Rose

23 comments:

  1. He is a charmer! I would have had to scratch his ears too. I've always heard of Old Sturbridge Village so I liked seeing these pictures It's nice to see the fields not manicured closely with a lawnmower, isn't it? I kind of like that look.

    It's so sweet to think of it having been the location of one of the first dates you and your husband had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Dewena,
      The animals get me every time!!! They were off to the side and back of a building so no one saw them and just passed them by. We had to go give them a little attention. When people saw us looking, it generated some interest and people came to see what we were looking at. I couldn't very well leave them all alone!!! Thanks for stopping by Dewena....yes, it is a favorite place because of our history there before, during and after children! Full circle....Have a good night,
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful pictures! I would love to walk there and look at that interesting old museum. It's nice that there are such places where you can see how people used to live long time ago. And those sheep are very very cute! I love animals too!
    Have a great week!
    Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anastasia,
      Hope all is well with you! Thank you for stopping by to read about our little day trip! It is a fun place to visit and aside from the beautiful nature trails, there are so many charming buildings that you can walk around in. Lots for kids to do too! Yes! The animals! I talk to all of them! lol!!!! Have a wondrful week yourself!
      Linda

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful place to spend the day and really immerse yourself in the olden days. And it's nice that you are a sheep whisperer! heehee! Congrats on your feature! I knew that was the most beautiful bag you've ever made! Enjoy your day sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      lol, a sheep whisperer! I've been called many things, but never that!!! But it's a new title that I am very proud to have!!!! thank you! Yes, it is a beautiful place! We enjoyed it! NIce change of scenery! Re: my bag, thank you again! I was so surprised to see it there, I actually thought I made a mistake and landed back on my own blog. It took me a second! Have a great week Diane, hope everything is good. (You would have gotten a chuckle out of my latest escapade: totally walked face first into a wall last night in the dark! Sporting a bruise this morning! You can relate, right??? Hugs,
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Oh Linda, what a fun and charming place to visit! I love that Diane called you a "Sheep Whisperer." :) The sheep are just too cute!

    Thank you so much for sharing this lovely post with Roses of Inspiration. I thoroughly enjoyed the photos, my friend. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie,
      Yes, everything about that place is so charming! Except for the fact that the reenactors looked so hot in their long sleeved clothing working outside in the hot afternoon sun! My husband is a revolutionary war reenactor and he wears a longsleeved wool jacket while in battle....so, so hot! But it's a nice place to go to unwind....makes life look easy! My pleasure to join in Roses of Inspiration!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness...I love everything about this place! If only for a moment I would love to be able to step back in time. What beautiful simplicity...love, LOVE those wonderful fences!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby,
      I'd love to step back to Debby! that's why visiting these places is so fun! As charming as it all looks, I think it was harder in some ways but also simpler.....yes, the fences were beautiful! So glad you stopped by again!
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Beautiful, just beautiful, Linda.
    A sure step back in time... I too love places that reflect the beauty of years past.
    Your photos give one the peacefulness of being right there with you, sigh...
    I believe that ram didn't want you to leave. :(
    Thank you for sharing the beauty with us.
    Enjoy your day!
    Much love ~ Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Debbie! There was definitely a sense of tranquility as we walked around the beautiful grounds. ......and I did n't want to leave those reams either. They had very sweet, tame dispositions! I could have visited with them all day! Hope you are enjoying your day. It's a cloudy, chilly day here but I don't really mind. It's nice to have the break in hot weather. Take care Debbie,
      Love
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Hi Linda, oh I just love this post. So much beauty here from a time long ago in the houses. I could see myself in that chair too working on a project while sipping tea. Love the countryside and the fences are awesome too.
    What a wonderful day to spend here. So peaceful in a time without cell phones and computers. Love it.
    Thanks for sharing. Hugs and Blessings, CM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know.... I the second I saw that chair I knew that if I had lived in that home during that time, it would have been my chair!
      I thought of you as I photographed many fences!
      Yes, such peace can be found strolling the countryside!
      Thanks for stopping by once again!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  8. Linda, visiting museums like these, are just so much fun :0) thank you so much for sharing it with us ...mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting Mari! My family and I enjoy visiting living history museums. So interactive and great places for kids to learn, hands on....have a nice evening!
      Linda

      Delete
  9. What a lovely day for a tour of countryside - wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so beautiful! I love places like this full of so much amazing history! You can just imagine how it was in the 1800s...thank you for sharing this. Stopping by from Roses of Inspiration. Hope you have a great weekend!

    Alexis @ www.chemistrycachet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexis,
      Thank you so much for stopping by! It really is a beautiful place to visit! Have a nice weekend!
      Linda

      Delete
  11. What a great tour Linda! I love all the outdoor shots you took and stepping back into a much more simple and peaceful time. The blog looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      Thank you, it's been a struggle trying to get my blog the way I want it, still have work to do.

      A simple and peaceful time for sure. Very nice change of scenery!

      Thanks for stopping by.....just got my candlesticks out again! I love them!
      Linda

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Diane! Simple and peaceful-- such a nice ring to it! I long for such days! Thank you, still working on the blog.....
      Linda

      Delete