Saturday, May 30, 2015

It Was a "Whatever I Want Night"


Tonight was one of those nights when the only one I had to prepare an evening meal for was me! I take advantage of these (once in a while) evenings by preparing a meatless meal that wouldn't particularly be thrilling for my husband because he is more of a meat and potatoes kind of guy. As for me, I could live on vegetables!

My youngest daughter used to call these evenings a "whatever you want night." I used to love it when my family would ask for that!


I lightly toasted an English Muffin and then drizzled a little olive oil over the top. Garlic sauteed in a little olive oil is also delicious on this.


I then sliced up a tomato and placed two slices on each half of the English muffin, I chopped up a few large basil leaves and placed them on the tomatoes.


Next I sliced some fresh mozzarella and placed it on top of the tomato and basil. Then I tossed it in the oven and broiled it until the cheese began to melt. You can melt it more than I did if you prefer. I find it less messy to eat if the cheese is still relatively solid.


I took it out of the oven and drizzled some balsamic vinaigrette over the top. Then......yum! It was delicious! It gets better..... clean up was a snap!

I seldom leave the grocery store without tomatoes and basil. Today I also grabbed a large bunch of asparagus so I can make the stack of deliciousness you see below!


Stacked Veggies

 This is another favorite meal of mine in the summer--tomatoes, steamed asparagus, basil and mozzarella. See a prior post about stacked veggies by clicking here. I will often serve it with grilled chicken .

If you love these vegetables as much as I do, you will love either one of these veggie delights. I am pretty sure I will be having another" whatever I want night" very soon. Try it! ......and enjoy!











10 comments:

  1. Yumo! I have a fresh package of English muffins, I may want to try this! Sounds like a good appetizer too for husbands that like steak! heehee! Enjoy your evening sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! My husband won't even try it! Maybe yours will! It really is yummy! It was hot here today and I didn't have much of an appetite. Then I remembered I had tomatoes and basil and well, the rest is history! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!! So nice to hear from you!!!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious and is so pretty! When R.H. is not home for supper I fix anything with dairy in it as he doesn't. When I was growing up and my father would be out of town, we had spaghetti, a dish he didn't like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We used to plan ahead on evenings my husband wouldn't be home and we would always fix things that he didn't care for. Since I don't like to prepare 2 different meals, it gave us a chance to eat vegetable dishes that he didn't like. Your dad didn't like spaghetti? Now spaghetti my husband loves !

      Delete
  3. Hello, Yes, that looks like a wonderful meal and I bet you enjoyed every bite LOL You have a new design on your blog, well done! Have a wonderful week and enjoy the summer days that are on the way! Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Roxy,
      I certainly did enjoy every bite! Thank you ! (regarding my new blog design) I had every intention of having it completed by today but I spent the week taking care of my dog who was very ill. Hopefully I will have some time to tweak a few things during the week ahead. Hope you have a great week too and thank you for visiting!
      Xo
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Linda,
    What a delightful dish! Sounds so refreshing for a early Summertime meal!
    xoxo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jemma,
      It's the best part of summer, don't you think? .....Meals centered around fresh, seasonal produce! It is delicious!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  5. I wish I had that right now. Yummy! I just left your etsy shop such prettiness there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki,
      I think I could eat it every night but my husband isn't in to it, :( it's so good! Thank you for stopping by and for checking out my shop! Have a great day Nikki!

      Delete