Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Glycerin Soaps: Quick and Easy! So Pretty too!


April and May are busy months in my family! There are many, many birthdays to celebrate and of course there is also Mother's Day. We used to hold off and have one big celebration on Mother's Day but now that my girls are out of town, two still in college, all working, it is difficult to get everyone home on the same day!

Today I went out to get a bundle of birthday cards and since Michael's is in the vicinity of where I was running errands, I had to stop......of course. There I purchased a supply of cardstock since it was 5 packages for $10. I also picked up some supplies to make glycerin soaps. 


The glycerin comes in a big chunk and I used my 50% coupon on it. There are a few types. I purchased olive oil glycerin. I also grabbed some coloring, essential oil (lavender) and a basic soap mold.

This project could not be easier and it does not require a whole lot of time, just a few minutes, really!

Here are the steps.....

1.) Melt 4 oz glycerin in microwave in glass bowl....about 1 min. (I used a clear glass batter bowl with a handle. Use extreme caution as the glycerin gets very hot.) Stir every 15 seconds or so. (4 oz makes one bar of soap and I melted them separately so I could make them different colors.) I also added scent to just one soap bar. I didn't love the smell. I will be shopping around for essential oils later....

2.) Add coloring and essential oil. Stir gently.

3.) Pour into a mold. (Pay attention when pouring that you do not let the glycerin overflow as I did in the lower left section of the mold.)

4.) Let cool for 40-60 minutes.

5.) Then pop out of mold and wrap in plastic.


Here is my first bar below. It is a pale lavender and it is scented with lavender oil.


Next, my pale peach bar of soap, no scent added.


and my favorite:


I love the color. It looks like sea glass! After I wrapped each piece in plastic wrap,  I took out my stash of pretty papers and wrapped up each bar of soap and tied a bow of raffia.


Aren't they cute? Someone in my family has been asking for glycerin soap. Let's hope she misses this blog post of mine!


These were remarkably easy to make and I only used half the glycerin so I will be whipping up another batch this week. I love a quick project that produces such sweet results!!!! This was some good, clean fun!!!!


Linking up with:

Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home
Life on Lakeshore Drive

19 comments:

  1. I didn't realize this was so easy! Thanks for posting.
    "good, clean fun" - haha good one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize it either. Soap making has been on my "to do" list for quite some time. Wish I hadn't waited so long. LOL, you made me chuckle with your last comment! Thanks for stopping by!
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Look at you!! Soap making is so rewarding, Linda. I love to experiment with all my essential oils, such fun. :-)
    I have been making my own deodorant and lip balm for a few years now. It really is quite easy, and again very gratifying.
    I love the way you wrapped your pretty bars,a beautiful finishing touch.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Debbie,
      I didn't know that you make your own lip balm and deodorant. Which are your favorite essential oils and where do you get them?

      It was so easy that I could kick myself for waiting so long to try this. I would like to try lip balm next. Yes, so much fun!

      Enjoy your day Debbie and thanks for visiting me!
      Xo
      Linda

      Delete
  3. That does make a lovely presentation. I did not realize how "easy" soap-making is. Hope that you find a day when all the girls can gather. Like many holidays, Mother's Day can be whenever it works.

    (I had such a rough time getting back to you. Finally had to quit with the profile and &00gle you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Vee,
      Thank you and so sorry you had such trouble getting here. I have tried fixing that issue but to no avail. So glad you eventually landed here!

      Yes, Vee, so true. Any day will do as long as we are all together! I do miss the days when it was easier to orchestrate. Take care,
      linda

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Christine,
      Thank you for your kind remarks as well. Yes you can do this. It was so easy and wrapping them was fun! I would like to experiment further as I love projects that yield such speedy results. Have a great day Christine!
      Linda

      Delete
  5. Love this idea! My fav is the sea glass. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! Yes, my favorite is the sea glass colored soap too. I kept the 4th soap to use myself and I really like it. I'll definitely be making more this weekend. Thanks for stopping by. Hope all is well!!!
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Hello There! What a cute blog you have. I am visiting from The Enchanting Rose and making soap caught my eye. I have made this before and it is so simple to make. I really enjoyed it. I love the covers you put on yours. I will have to remember to do this, the next batch I make. My girlfriend has taught me how to make goats milk soap, it's a bit more complicated than this, but it's so nice not to have all those chemicals in it.

    Thank you so much for sharing! Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy! Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate your kind words. Yes, glycerin soap is so easy!! Coincidentally, I plan to make goat's milk soap next. I have seen a few "recipes" but now am wondering if you have one that works well???? Perhaps you can share the recipe.....thanks again for visiting me. Enjoy the rest of your week!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so pretty. I love glycerin soaps. I can't wait to see your recipe for goat's milk soap, I've never tried that before but I'm willing. I'm thrilled to have you sharing with us at Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party.
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angel, thank you! They were fun to make. I am looking forward to experimenting a bit. My personal favorite is almond scented soap so I hope to try that next. I still have a batch of glycerin soaps to make before I start researching the other soaps. Can't wait though! Thanks for stopping by and for hosting the party. I am happy to link up!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Linda, I'm visiting your lovely blog from Roses of Inspiration today!
    I've always wanted to try making soaps... And yours are so pretty and beautifully packaged! Ah, I feel inspired to attempt some soap making this year!
    Thank you and much love to you! Have a sweetly blessed day in the Lord!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly-Anne,
      I hope that you do try to make some soaps, it's so quick and easy. The longest part is waiting for the glycerin to solidify! The packaging is fun too! Have a wonderful day yourself and thank you very much for stopping by!
      Linda

      Delete
  11. I have always been intimidated by the idea of making my own soap....seriously! You make it seem so easy, my friend :) And it is really pretty - almost too pretty to use.

    Thanks for sharing with Roses of Inspiration - I LOVE having you at the party. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie! Hello! You should give it a try!!!
      It's one of the easiest things I've ever tried as far as crafts/projects are concerned. I'm going to try some other types too, lip balm, and scrubs! I'm always happy to join your party! Got to get back and check out some links!!! Thanks for popping in on me! Xo

      Delete
  12. Hi Linda, Oh I love this post and so inspired to try making these soaps. Love how yours turned out and they are so pretty in the colors. It does look easy and thank you for sharing the steps. This may just have to be my next project.
    Love your blog header. So pretty.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Hugs and Blessings my friend.
    CM

    ReplyDelete