Sunday, April 12, 2015

A Walk on the Vineyard


I feel as though I have lost a week.  We were away for a few days, then once we got home, I came down with some nasty virus and it knocked me down and out for several days. So it's been a while since I have been here, and I feel completely out of the loop.

Anyways, we spent Easter weekend on Martha's Vineyard and just as we have for the past three years, we took a walk in the woods and it did not disappoint! My middle daughter led the way as usual!


I love that most of these walks are along well kept trails and while there are a few spots that force you to make an uphill climb, for the most part they are easy to hike and end up with breathtaking views of the ocean.


Here we are approaching the first beautiful view. Yes, I am always dead last because I am the family photographer! My two daughters are already there enjoying the view.





It was a beautiful day, a bit windy and a bad hair day for sure! But the sun was out and it was much warmer than it was at home and there was no snow. A change of scenery did us a lot of good!


Leaving this spot, we headed down the trail to another view.


I came upon a couple of trees and had to take some photos. The trees here just beg you to climb them, don't they?


We crossed this dirt road lined by a stonewall. I half expected to see turkeys or deer but did we not see any wildlife other than birds. I guess the turkeys were still downtown strutting about. We saw them earlier in the morning walking around town like they owned the place.


As we approach the second view, I come across this tree! Another climbing tree! 


Worth another photo.....I love this tree!


My husband and daughter enjoying the second view.


The water was a deep, deep blue!


I don't know what this is growing on lots of branches. Some kind of moss, perhaps? But it was interesting and quite pretty on the trees.


This was my favorite view! We could have continued further down the trail and eventually we would have made it to the beach which would have been lovely. But we had been shopping earlier, and this was a rather spontaneous decision to go off the beaten path and take this walk. My husband was the only one who really had appropriate footwear on for walking on wet, muddy trails. We will walk this trail again when we go back this summer.

It was nice to be outside in the sun again. We had a wonderful few days visiting with two of my daughters. It is such a beautiful place to visit and I am already looking forward to heading back.

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely breathtaking! It was a joy and pleasure to join you on your walk, sweet friend. You have some gorgeous views...especially of the water.

    Happy Monday, dear Linda! Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie! Happy to hear from you as always! Thank for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed your walk! It's my go to place to recover from a long winter. Hope you have a nice week! Xo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning, I never have seen pictures from this place before, you always hear about it! I am so glad you all got away for a bit, as you said we all need to have a little mix of different scenery.Sorry you caught a bug, but I do hope you are feeling better! May, spring sunshine warm your days real soon in your neck of the woods!
    Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Roxy! It's a beautiful place and being an ocean lover, I am happy to be surrounded by water! We were there for three days over the holiday. I hope that someday you get a chance to visit the island. I am well now thank you and our weather has taken a turn for the better. It was in the 60 ' s yesterday and today will be near 70. So happy about that! Thank you Roxy for stopping by. So nice to hear from you.
      Xo
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Oh Linda, thank you for taking us along with you on your beautiful walk! I climbed a couple of those trees on the way. :-)
    Boy, my oldest grandson would love to climb those trees. He's part monkey I think.
    I can remember when he was just beginning to walk and he would climb up our very tall cat tower, he hasn't changed a bit and he's now 11.
    So happy you could get away and rest, but sorry you picked up a virus. Feel better soon.

    Love and Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie, well you are most welcome my friend! Lol! Yes, these trees are some of the best climbing trees I've seen. The lowest branches are so close to the ground! I love coastal vegetation anyways! Such beautiful things can be found on a walk through the woods. I bet your grandson would enjoy climbing these trees.......I seem to be over the virus and feeling elated to have spring weather of our own. Spent the morning cleaning my back porch and looking forward to eating dinner out there. It's a gorgeous day here and very warm. Hope you ate experiencing lovely spring weather too! Wonderful to hear from you Debbie!
    Xo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry about the typo,( ate=are ) I am on my phone.....

      Delete