Wednesday, March 25, 2015

It's All About that Lace.....and the Linens!

My Sewing Space

Over the weekend we drove out of town to a well-known chocolate shop to purchase Easter gifts. While we were there, I sat down to drink a cup of chai tea latte and my husband enjoyed a cup of herbal tea, We made our purchase, drank our teas and left to head back into town. I wasn't quite ready to head home so my husband suggested we stop at an antique shop before going home! Am I ever glad we did!


My kitchen table looked like this after I got home with some vintage linens that I scooped up for a song. In the shop were baskets of linens, doilies, etc that were packaged in zip lock bags. Many bags contained 5-6 pieces and they were marked $1.00. You should have seem me with my arms full of plastic bags. They were slippery, I kept dropping one after another but it didn't matter because I was in hog heaven! 


I washed them, ironed them and folded them neatly. Then I just admired them.The tablecloth covering my kitchen table was also one of my purchases. I fell in love with it and it was in pristine condition! Look at the lovely inset lace. It is a beautiful shade of ecru.


Sweetest little linen and lace doily.


There were two of these pieces, one larger than the other. It reminded me of fish nets (in the nautical sense) So it only seemed natural to pair the two......


Start fish are lacy, I love the way it looks here.....


....and here. Got my brain gears a cranking and spinning.



There were many varieties of cocktail, luncheon and dinner napkins....all in excellent condition.



Here are some sweet doilies....theses were in a baggie with several other items for $1.00.


These are placemat sized and they are very pretty!


These are quite pretty too!


This was one of my favorites! Another tablecloth. The linen was of such beautiful quality. That one's a keeper too!


 ...and the reason I posted this photo at the beginning of the post is because I used some linens to create just a pretty sewing spot. I sewed yesterday trying to complete some heart pillows for my etsy shop.
The sweet little pincushion was given to me by Debbie who blogs over at She Graces Her Home in God's Beauty. It is darling and it has really come in very handy.


The one on the left is not stuffed yet, obviously!


They too look nice paired with lace or linens! 

All in all, a very nice Sunday afternoon! I was pleased with my purchases! So pleased in fact, that I went back today and got another whole stack. But that's another post.

It's late and I have to work tomorrow so good night, sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!

12 comments:

  1. You lucky girl, you! I would be in hog....lace....linen heaven too! I keep checking out your shop to see if you have any hearts available....seriously :) I can't wait, my friend! They are so pretty!

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Stephanie, I hope to have these in my shop over the weekend. I have to go to work shortly and hope to be able to continue working on some hearts when I get home tonight after supper but I also want my teacup post ready to publish and I was having major issues last night trying to get my photos on my blog..... Thank you for your sweet comment. I will work diligently!!!! Have a lovely day!
      xo
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Woooow !!! Linda, this is unbelievable !! What wonderful, beautiful lace and linens you found.
    I'm sure you felt being in lace heaven :). And for that price in an antique shop ! How excited you must have been, seeing this.... knowing that you wanted to bring this home with you. Well......I know how that feels.....I love to go thrift shopping... :). Imagine all the possibilities !!
    Thank you so much, Linda for your visit and very encouraging comments on my blog.
    Very much appreciated !

    Blessings, Wilma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wilma! I know, it was unvelievable! My second pile of purchases is not quite as large but I found a "roller towel", linen with red vertical stripes down each side. It is in impeccable shape. I knew it would be a nice piece to upcycle, same with many of the lace pieces but I couldn't cut into them last night....I might need a swift kick in the seat as I find it very difficult to cut into something that aged so perfectly. So tell me, how do you do it? Maybe I should look for less perfect pieces????? I just want to keep it all!!!! LOL! I know you know how this feels!!!!! You have created some amazing pieces with lace! Can't wait to get back and see all that I have missed! Have a great day! Thanks for stopping by.
      Linda

      Delete
  3. OH OH OH!!! Linda, you have my insides all excited and I can barely sit still in my chair!
    Hog heaven for sure, my friend!
    You hit the jack pot in lace love for sure.
    I can remember once coming along a find of bagged goodies for nearly nothing just as yourself and what joy it was.
    What is it about linens lace and doilys that makes those of us who love them so to just feel pretty and feminine all over? I would be in lace all the time if it were possible.

    Thank you for mentioning me on this lovely post of yours, you are too precious, Linda.
    I posted my tea cup exchange post today, and still feel like a spoiled lady with all your love that was poured over me.
    I had a cup of tea last night using the ambrosia plum white tea, oh was it ever good!
    I thought of you as I sipped my tea in my gorgeous new tea cup.
    You are a jewel my friend, and thank you again.

    Sweetest of blessings to you,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      I really am laughing out loud right now after reading your comment! I think sometimes blogging is more like group therapy! It's so good to know that others feel that same lust towards lace, linens and such! Seriously, I washed them and could not wait to iron them! I have loved ironing linens since I was a very little girl. My mom let me start by ironing my dad's hankies and to this day, i just love washing freshly laundered linens!!! NOW I have a second batch of new linens with some really amazing pieces like the "roller towel" I mentioned in another comment! I don't know what it is Debbie but they are charming and I often try to imagine the story behind each piece!

      I have to be to work shortly but I will get over to your blog when I get home. You are so welcome! I love my pincushion and I think of you each time I use it as well! I was so happy when Stephanie gave me your name as the recipient of this swap. More about that when I post at your blog. Have a nice day Debbie and enjoy your tea! I
      xoxo
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Hello Linda, I just wanted to come meet you! I think your kind of blog will be so much fun and inspiration for crafting and sewing! I have just become a follower to your blog! I love your talent and taste! And the mother load of linens what a blessing! I really enjoyed my visit here today!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxy! So nice to meet you! I'm glad you stopped by! Also thank you for the kind words....my blog did begin slightly more geared towards sewing but now it's more like "do what" than "sew what!" There are so many options in the crafting world today and boy I just want to do it all! As far as vintage lace and linens, I am slightly obsessed with them! I will quickly stop by to visit your blog and say hi before I leave for work. Thank you again fot dropping in!

      Delete
  5. Hi Linda, Oh my goodness you hit the jackpot with this great find of lace. I would have snatched them up too. I love lace and have it everywhere. Many of my pieces are created by my grandmother and very special. You found some wonderful pieces and they look in perfect condition.
    It was good your hubby wanted to stop in there instead of going straight home. Have fun creating with your goodies. Love the cushion gifted from Debbie too.

    Have a great weekend my friend. Thank you for stopping in and your sweet comments. You always bless me with your visits.
    Hugs, CM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Celestina, so nice to hear from you again! It was a great find and the gentleman at the antique shop said that the woman who brings it refreshes her supply weekly! So I went back yesterday and bought some more. Not quite as much as before but some really nice pieces. I am trying to work the nerve up to cut into some of them for my sewing projects. It isn't easy for me to do! I love lace and lacy linens too! I have many that my grandmother made as well.

    I hope you have a great weekend too! Thank you so much for visiting! xo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really did find the mother lode of vintage linens. I love the crochet place mats and really anything hand made. It's a good thing I wasn't shopping with you. I would hate to have to fight you over all that loot! hahaha! You did GOOD! And now you can check there regularly. What a blessing! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane,
    Maybe we should plan a shopping trip!!! LOL! We can meet somewhere in the middle!!!! That sure would be a lot of fun though! Yes, I am very happy with all of my linens! My second load was not as large but got some extra nice pieces, one beautiful Irish linen runner that I absolutely love and a pair of matching doilies. I will be going there once a week now that I know they restock after the weekend! Hugs and Happy weekend!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete