Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Ice Castles


Where did I go..... just when I thought I could not take one more minute of winter snow or ice? We drove about two and a half hours north to view mountainous piles of snow and ice! BUT it was worth the drive and even the walk in some pretty cold temperatures. I took these photos with my phone. We were at the Ice Castles in Lincoln, NH. It is a beautiful area and Lincoln is of our favorite places to go in the "North Country."


Though it is near the end of the season for these Ice Castles in NH, they were still a magnificent sight and I was totally captivated by the beautiful ice formations as we walked around. There was some rather dramatic music playing which added a nice touch to our tour.


You can imagine my camera clicking away.....there was something  to photograph in every nook and cranny. The sky was a greyish blue but there was plenty of sunshine too so the combination of light and sky made for some interesting backdrops in these photos.


In these next few photos, the sky appears to be in various shades of periwinkle. It really was very beautiful!


I swear the larger ice structure in the photo above has a face! I can see it, can you?


This tower of ice reminded me of the mountain in The Grinch movie! See below too!


We went on a weekday and it was mid afternoon, so there were not any crowds. I have heard that it can get quite crowded and it must be difficult to get any photos of the ice structures without people in them. I was glad that I was able to get quite a few without people standing in front of them or walking through.


This cave was pretty amazing though the photo above is a bit blurry.


I would not want to have one of these icicles fall on my head! They were enormous and they looked sharp!


It looked like a gigantic tree of icicles. Looking up, it was so beautiful!



Just outside the cave full of icicles was a chair made from ice. I sat for a moment--a brief moment!
I am used to a heated seat!



OK! I admit it! I went there and I sang that song! Let it go!


Here my husband is heading into another ice cave.


We walked through all of the caves and castles at least three times. I really wanted to view them in the evening when they use beautiful colored lights but we didn't really want to drive all that way back in the dark. We also had some shopping to do at some outlets on the way home. So we left but decided we would come again next year during peak season and stay the night.


Don't you just want to walk through the entrance to this ice cave?

My hands were frozen because I was not wearing gloves.  The sunlight made the screen on my phone so dark that I could not see what I was photographing. There were times when I wasn't even sure if my phone was in camera mode...... I am lucky that I got any photos at all.

As we were walking back to the parking lot a family was getting out of their car. A little tiny girl, perhaps two or three years old was dressed in full Elsa attire and was just mesmerized by the sight of the ice castles! How magical for that little girl and for all of the kids (and kids at heart!) lucky enough to catch this sight!
--------------------------------------

For more information, locations of ice castles closest to you and a view of photos that are far superior to mine, CLICK HERE! If you click on the link HISTORY at the site there are three videos that can be viewed that were filmed in the ice castles. If you have not seen the version of LET IT GO (with a children's choir singing in the ice castles) it is worth the view. The young lady featured and singing in the video has an amazing voice! I think it's my favorite version and I have heard many.


4 comments:

  1. That is spectacular! How neat that you got to go and see it and walk around and take photos. I've never seen anything like it. Looks like you were dressed for the day! Very good photos my friend. Enjoy your evening! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I responded once before but my comment seems to have disappeared! Friends of ours live in that area and they went and suggested we go too! Then we got snowstorm after snowstorm.....finally we got some decent weather and were able to go. Glad we did because it is amazing, much more so than shown in these photos! We will go back next year before it has started to melt. Several areas inside were closed off due to melting. xo
      Linda

      Delete
  2. My husband's niece and her hubby went to see it. She said it was so magnificent. Breathtaking. She was dressed and him for the adventure too.

    You have different takes than hers. So thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carolann, it really was magnificent. More so than I expected. I wish that I had brought my camera along to get better photos. Next time I won't make that mistake! We will definitely go back! Thank you for stopping by! Linda

    ReplyDelete