Thursday, January 8, 2015

Handmade With Love



My latest tote bag -- a gift for a friend.

I was very fortunate to be given a large collection of vintage fabrics, craft supplies (which included buttons, lace, trims, floral supplies, ribbon, etc) by  a close friend. They once belonged to her mother.  She offered them to me and I was very happy and honored to take them. I have used some of the lace trims on my angel ornaments as well as some of the little flowers on the halos and gowns. Ironically, I found out that her mother used them to make paper angels of her own.

It was so fun to go through all of these interesting printed fabrics and other supplies (over and over again) and going through the process of sorting through my new collection of goodies, it was amazing to me how similar our tastes were and that our sewing and crafting interests were so similar. Kindred spirits I think.....If we had had an opportunity to meet, we would have had much to talk about. As it stands, her daughter and I can talk up a storm and in fact turn a coffee hour into four hours or so.  

I found this piece of fabric that was like a polished chintz or maybe a bit heavier, likely a home decorator fabric which was dated 1979. There was no manufacturer name on it which is disappointing to me only because I fell in love with the fabric and would absolutely love to be able to purchase a couple of yards or so.



Anyways, I decided to make my friend a tote bag using only materials in her mother's stash and this is how it turned out. I decided I to try my hand at embroidering some details on the fabric to add a bit of interest and dimension, mind you I have not embroidered in very many years.


Surprisingly, it all came back to me pretty quickly. I started with the back stitch to outline some leaves and then decided to also outline one of the birds. I did some french knots in the centers of some flower blooms and then decided to do a little outlining of the flowers as well.


My intention was not to embroider the entire front of the bag but simply to add some little details to the fabric. I love the print and it is beautiful and charming in its' own right. 
A bonus from the embroidery (which didn't even occur to me while I was embroidering it) is that it created a quilted effect which I love.


I then made a gift tag using the fabric glued to a folded piece of kraft colored cardstock. I stitched with a medium zigzag stitch around the entire piece of fabric. I stamped a few words on some muslin fabric that was also from her mother's collection and used fabric glue to attach the words. I found a small bit of lace in the stash and trimmed it to place randomly on the card. In a small box I found 3 sweet little vintage buttons. I attached them with a tiny bit of glue but then added actual hand stitches to keep the buttons safely in place. 

Lastly, I used a small star paper punch and punched a star shaped hole in the upper left corner and added white and natural twine with a piece of pale pink tulle. Even the teeny, tiny gold pin that I used to attach the card to the bag was from her mom's collection of sewing notions.


I zoomed in (photo above) for a closer look--I apologize for it being a bit blurry.


Attached to the bag, the tulle adds a delicate touch with vintage appeal.


I had a very difficult time photographing this with nice, natural light as the sun has been hiding and weather has not wanted to cooperate. The photo above seems to be the best one of the card.





I really enjoyed working on this special gift for my friend! It is sewn almost exclusively from materials once belonging to her mother. The lining fabric (white print on pale beige) is also from her mothers collection of fabrics. The thread is the only item I used in the construction of the bag that is new.

The bag has dual duties:  it is functional and can be used to hold her knitting supplies, or used as a shopping bag or to carry any number of other things and it is a keepsake that I hope serves as a reminder of her beloved mother each time she uses this bag. 





"May memories of your mother make you smile,
and ease your sense of loss for just a while.
Know that she walks beside you every day,
and kneels each night beside you as you pray. 
When it seems to feel as though you're worlds apart,
Just know her love is safe within your heart."


Update--1/11/2015


I was able to meet my friend last week to give her the tote bag and she loved it! She said, "It made her day!" Anyways, it appears that her kitty LOLA likes it as well. No matter where she puts her bag, Lola finds it! In this photo, the bag has been moved to a table. I think she looks rather regal sitting on it! LOL!




Linking up with:

A new party in town!!
The Enchanting Rose:  Roses of Inspiration Link up #1

The Enchanting Rose


The Charm of HomeHome Sweet Home #202


Photobucket 


Sew Many Ways Sew Darn Crafty

18 comments:

  1. Oh Linda, your handmade bag certainly has been made with love - it's beautiful! I absolutely LOVE how you embroidered around the leaves - what a wonderful idea, one I will have to remember :) And the handmade tag you attached is positively perfect. I know your friend will be thrilled!

    Thank you, dear friend, for sharing at Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! It was fun to try my hand at those embroidery stitches again! Thank you for starting up "Roses Of Inspiration". It appears that many joined you in your first week. Congrats! Have a wonderful weekend! xo
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Lungs, that is just beautiful, in more ways than one.
    What a dear friend you are to grace your friend with that of her mothers treasure. She will love it I'm sure!

    Sweet blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday Debbie! Thank you! I hope she does love it! So nice of you to stop by!
      Linda

      Delete
  3. Very sweet gift for your friend. You made a pretty tote. The tag is super special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanna! I love making gift tags! So fun! Have a great weekend!
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Very pretty tote, Linda. This is a special gift you made for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It came out lovely and what a beautiful and thoughtful gift! She will cherish it and remember her mother when she uses it. And think of what a good friend you are. The hand stitching and pretty card add the perfect touch. I've never seen this fabric but I love it. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Diane,
      I have been scouring the internet trying to find some. No luck. Thank you Diane. Hope you are in for a lovely weekend. I also hope the cold hasn't reached your location in Florida! It's just so cold here.....
      Hugs
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Such a thoughtful sweet gift for your friend. I am sure she will treasure it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nikki,
    I appreciate that you stopped by and left me some feedback. Thank you so much! Have a grat weekend!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful purse, love the additional details! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on Treasure Trove Tuesday!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Tania! I just stopped by and scrolled through your fabric covered roller shade post. They came out so well and I think the polka dot fabric makes the room. I would love to try that! Great post!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda,
    This is a beautiful tote-I love how you have embroidered around the leaves, it adds such depth and dimension. What a wonderful friend you are!
    Stay warm and safe,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fabric is beautiful and the way you underlined the details with embroidery is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Magali. So nice of you to stop by to take a peek at my latest project. I appreciate your kind comment.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful bag! Thanks for joining HSH!

    ReplyDelete