Saturday, January 3, 2015

2014--Reflections


Today I will attempt to write my year in review post that I have been planning on writing for the past two years. Yes, that ball on Times Square has dropped at least two times, maybe three???? since I began blogging and this is the first time I have taken the time to"virtually" reflect on a passing year. So here goes....

You may be wondering why I posted a photo of the beach at the top of this post. Well, walking or sitting on a beach--any beach for that matter, transforms me into a relaxed pile of mush that allows my mind to quiet long enough for reflection. That sort of mindfulness does not happen easily for me in a day to day sort of way. So I will use the photo of my family walking ahead of me on the beach for visualization purposes in order to reflect.

2014 brought me plenty of time on the beach and I am very thankful for that. When I say that being there transforms me, I am not exaggerating. The minute I see ocean and hear waves I feel renewed, cleansed and at peace. Many of my photos of beach, boating and sunsets made their way to my blog. I know mine is a sewing blog in name but in theory it is about all that makes me happy.  Here is a sampling of some of my 2014 happy places...










Just seeing the photos again brings back all the memories and feelings of being near the water. I imagine that I must have been a dolphin or a humpback whale in another lifetime. Speaking of whales, I went on another whale watch in August 2014 and this time (we have been on many whale watches because I am somewhat obsessed with whales) I did not have to drag my husband as he made the suggestion, the reservations and didn't complain once. 

On the sewing front, I sewed bags....


bags....


and more bags.....


recycled.....






upcycled...


planted flowers....




gifted flowers.....


admired my dad's flowers....


made flowers....



 made more bags....


made many, many angels....






I also opened my etsy shop in 2014,
and started a Facebook page for EasternAveDesigns.....

A very rewarding and exciting experience in 2014 was volunteering with my youngest daughter at the US Figure Skating National Championships. We spent the week in Boston, took a 40 minute train ride each day to TD Garden and worked 4, 6hr shifts checking credentials and serving meals to the competitors. We spent mornings watching them practice and attended all the major competitions and opening and closing exhibitions. It was a thrilling experience and one that I will never forget.

We took some beautiful walks....





and some were with our beloved dog, Ellie....



My husband surprised me by getting me a new sewing machine....


and for Christmas he gave me a Cricut Explore!


Especially exciting in 2014, our oldest daughter Jenn got married. With James joining our family, this means my husband is slightly less outnumbered in a family and extended family of mostly females. All kidding aside, we are thrilled for Jenn and James and we wish them many years of wedded bliss!

Overall, it was a good year. As we begin the new year, I can't help but feel immensely blessed in so many ways. 
Do I have a resolution or two? Yes.....a few pounds have snuck up on me. Not a huge amount by any means but nevertheless, they have to go. So a friend of mine and I have vowed to get it done. How?  Eat less, exercise more. How I wish it were the other way around!
Also, I would like to get my Etsy shop fully stocked. I need more focus and less distraction so I am asking life to cooperate a bit more with me this year.
I hope to spend more time with family and friends, some alone time with my husband and plenty of time with myself. I love to spend a quiet afternoon or evening sewing or crafting.....

My most popular post for 2014 was:



followed by:







and last but not least....


My most popular post of all time and the hub of most of my blog activity is:








When I was looking for ways to decorate our local skating rink for an ice show, I could not find any tutorials for making banners or painting on a very large parachute while remaining on a very tight budget. I hope this post has helped others looking for ideas for decorating a very large space!

Anyways, this is beginning to drag on so I will close by wishing my readers and fellow blogging buddies a very Happy New Year and thank you for your visits, your kind, supportive comments and friendly emails over the past year!

I like this quote  that I recently saw on Facebook:

"Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."
Carl Bard










16 comments:

  1. Linda,
    Such a lovely year for you and your dear family. I so enjoyed seeing your photos and also a big congrats on your Etsy shop. Your angels are absolutely beautiful!
    I am also delighted that you are joining in on our three month series of passion, purpose, productivity. We have several women participating! Each participant, if she feels comfortable doing so,will be Sharing how being mindful and living a life with passion is improving her life. I'd love for you to join in too! If this interests you, please let me know. From the sounds of your year you are a very engaged lady!
    Hugs,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jemma. Yes, I am delighted to be taking part in your 3 month series and I look forward to hearing more details. Best wishes for the new year!

      Delete
  2. What an exciting year it's been for you. Congratulations on opening up your Etsy shop and I hope it's a huge success in the new year. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Betsy! Happy New Year to you too and wishes for continued success. I love visiting your blog and I really hope to construct a similar headboard some day. I can't stop thinking about the one you did with antique ceiling tiles. Such eye candy at your blog! All the best...

      Delete
  3. From the looks of your photos and the sound of your words you had a wonderful, productive year, my friend :) I am thankful you have a blog, dear Linda, and I am looking forward to another year of your lovely posts.

    Hugs to you and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon Stephanie, You certainly are part of the reason why I had a good year! I think I speak for many bloggers when I say that! The work that you put into the teacup exchange has brought so many people (from all over) together who would otherwise not have met. We are all so blessed that you have a blog Stephanie and your hard work is appreciated. Whenever I need a dose of inspiration I know I can find it on your blog or your mother's. So happy to have met you both! THANK YOU!

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda, your year in review is amazing. You accomplished a great deal and had fun adventures along the way. Love all your gorgeous creations. You sure are a talented artist and it shows in all your designs.
    Thank you for stopping by and your sweet comment. Wishing you a very happy new year filled with many blessings and much great success with your shop on etsy. I am so glad we met last year through Stephanie's tea cup exchange. Meeting you was a highlight and a blessing in 2014 and I look forward to more fun visits to your blog in 2015..
    Hugs and Friendship
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celestina, Thank you once again for your visit and kind comments. Meeting you through Stephanie's exchange was a highlight for me as well and your support and enthusiasm is most appreciated. The fact that you placed the very first order on my ETSY shop has earned you VIP status in my book! Thank you!!!! I have recently begun reading the archives on your blog to catch up with all that I missed prior to meeting you and your talent and accomplishments are extraordinary! I can't wait to read more! Your etsy shop is beautiful too and I look forward to poking around once you reopen. Wishing you the best Celeste,
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. I so enjoyed my visit here tonight, Linda.
    Having just begun with blogging I enjoyed reading about your year. You accomplished many things, especially with your sewing. You do a lovely job with a sewing machine. :-)
    I admire those like yourself who have such talent.

    Your list for the New Year sounds to be a good one. I chuckled when you mentioned "eating less and exercising more, and wishing it was the other way around." I agree with you there.

    Speaking of Stephanie's tea cup exchange, you gave her one of the most beautiful tea cups I have ever seen, and when I have tea in her home that is the cup of my choice, always.

    I look forward to seeing more of you this year.

    Many blessings to you, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, I appreciate your kind words always. Thank you so much! Stephanie told me that you loved that teacup and always use it so I have been keeping my eyes open for another. If I find one, it will be yours !
      Lol! Really looking forward to the next exchange! Happy New Year Debbie!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Linda! I thoroughly enjoyed your 2014 recap post! I hope you do get to spend many calm days at the beach and more time to enjoy family and your love of sewing. Nice Cricut Explore and Singer sewing machine...score! My best to you and yours in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane for the kind comment. 2014 was a good year and I won my first ever giveaway--the adorable candlesticks you made! Hope the year ahead brings you only the best! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. Hello Linda. Thanks for commenting on my blog so I could come and find you. Beach time is always wonderful in almost any weather. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Lorrie. Thank you too! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Wow, you had a great year!! I love all your beach photos, especially now that it's so cold.
    Your bags are adorable, gonna go check out your etsy shop too.
    BTW, not to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tori for taking the time to stop by and leave such a nice comment. I really appreciate it! Actually it is so windy and cold here that I wish I was on any beach right now. Winters are so long in nh. Happy New Year!

      Delete