Today I finished up a pair of slippers that I started a couple of days ago. Just last week I ran into Joanne Fabrics to pick up some thread and saw that McCall's patterns were on sale for $1.99. I always grab a bunch of patterns to try whenever they go on sale.
This cute pair of slippers was McCall's Pattern M6715. I did not love the instructions that came with the pattern. I completed the first slipper by misunderstanding the instructions and it came out just fine. I completed the second slipper correctly following the instructions and it did not come out as easily or as well. There were many" grrrrrrrrrr" moments!
This was a trial pair because I have some really pretty fabrics that I would like to try but I did not want to risk wasting the fabric. I read the pattern all the way through before I started which was a very good thing.
This was the first slipper I made. It was almost the last--but I took a couple of deep breaths and finished the second one.
I am glad I did a trial first. The pattern does not call for top stitching around the front. I did not like the way it looked without it so I top stitched it.
Next time I will make sure that the bobbin thread matches the lining exactly. There were a couple of spots where there was just a bit too much bulk in the side seams (even when I reduced some by cutting out some interfacing in the seam) and it caused some messy stitching.
When I tried it on, it looked like a ballet slipper......very cute!
Here's the pair.....
The pattern is made up of 3 pattern pieces. The front which I cut out of a peach moire taffeta, the lining and sole which is made of an apricot colored 100 % cotton (I will use a sturdier material when I make my next pair, the pattern called for lightweight suede) and the heel piece which is cut out of a pale peach brocade.
The pattern has several floral embellishments which I will use on the next pair. It also has options for single or double elastic bands across the foot which are also very cute.
I love fancy slippers!
I have some leftover costume fabrics which would work very well with this pattern. I may cut out another pair tonight!