Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sewing with Paper--Odds and Ends






I tried to focus on summer stuff! Honestly I tried! But in the end I failed. I even made my first three loaves of Pumpkin Bread. Delicious! Never before have I started baking Pumpkin Bread this early in the year. So with the cooler (but oh so beautiful) weather, I have instinctively been drawn to all things FALL!

This morning, I played around with paper and tried to use both summer and fall patterns. I don't want to rush fall for those of you who are still firmly planted in summer. My roots seem to be planted in both seasons but may be spreading unintentionally towards fall.


I wanted to make up a stash of gift card envelopes. Generally when I give a gift card as a gift I grab a couple cute little tins or boxes in the store to "wrap" them in. They are very pricey! I picked up one that was $8.99! So, I decided to make some of my own, they are even lined on the inside with a coordinating paper.


A peek inside


Very easy! I just traced around a gift card and left an extra 1/4" around the outside for the front. Then I traced the pattern that I used for the front and added a flap. You will need to cut two sets--outside and inside ("lining").  When stitching on the sewing machine you just have to keep in mind that the card has to fit inside.


You don't have to be too picky about the sewing. Little discrepancies in the stitches adds a little shabby (but chic!) touch to the envelope.






They are pretty cute! And free! Great way to use up scraps of scrapbook paper.


This is my favorite!

Then I stitched up a heart ornament. I stuffed that as well. I added some burlap patches, a burgundy craft button and a little bedazzling jewel, scraps of lace and finally a rafia bow. 




Who says you have to use only fall colors!


I have many lace, ribbon and fabric scraps. This is another project that can use those little scraps up!


Then I made myself a little garland to hang on my hutch. My walls are already gold. So to add a little color, I cut little pennants out of 2 burgundy prints. They look more pink here but they are a deeper shade in reality.


It just adds a little festive touch to the room.

Below is a work in progress--my stuffed pumpkins.....have not decided how to embellish them yet, they are made from kraft paper bags. I stitched two pumkins (front and back) together. (Before stitching I cut a little trap door on the backside. This allows you an opening to stuff it.) Then I just quilted it with a zig zag stitch.


I will let you know how these turn out. 

That's all for now. Have a nice weekend! It's a beautiful day here in NH! Hope it is where you are too!



18 comments:

  1. Linda, these are wonderful! I just love them, and will try and make some myself. Terrific idea.
    I agree with you in that gift card holders are so expensive.
    I have been making gift card holders out of tins that I get mints in, and they are fun to create with.
    The large tins are a perfect size for a gift card. I use old lace that I have had around for many years, which makes them look shabby Chic.
    Have a beautiful day!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, thank you! I think your idea of reusing candy tins is a great idea too! I don't know why I haven't thought of that! I would rather put more money into the gift card then spend almost $10 on a way to present it. Also I much prefer the look of handmade! Hope you are enjoying the weekend. Tell Stephanie I said hi!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the gift card holders. I've never tried to sew on paper but it looks like fun. Love your hearts and I've wondered if you planned to make them for your shop. You have so many pretty things in your shop now but I know you are always planning ahead. I'm ready to decorate for Fall, too! I need to make a Fall banner when we get back to Florida! Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane...Thank you! I responded to you yesterday but it has disappeared! It IS fun sewing on paper! I even sewed up a gift bag from scrapbook paper afterwards and in less than 5 minutes!Oh the possibilities! Hope you have been enjoying the long weekend! xo
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda, wow I love the gift card holders and the fall hanging and the pumpkin! Looks like you are really in the fall mood. We still have very hot and humid weather here! Wishing you a wonderful week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie, thanks for stopping by and for leaving your nice comment! We had a few cooler, dry days--the most beautiful weather. Right now though, it is hot and humid. At least until Wednesday. So I've got one foot in summer and one foot in fall! I hope you have a wonderful week too! Stay cool!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. This wonderful post was featured on my blog as part of "Tuesdays with a Twist" blog hop: http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2014/09/time-to-link-up-tuesdays-with-twist_9.html
    Thanks so much!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angel, thank you very much for featuring this post on your blog! I really appreciate it! Enjoy the rest of the week!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Linda, What a fabulous idea, I love the gift card holders. There are a few people who I give gift cards to as gifts and I just know they would love to receive their gift popped inside one of your lovely holders.
    I have such a love for hearts and your little heart made up with bits and pieces is so lovely. Like you I keep all my bits and pieces because you never know when they will be useful.... and now I have found a use for them.
    Thank you for the inspiration. Have a wonderful day.
    Best Wishes to you.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Daphne, I was just over at your G+ page. You have so many wonderful recipes posted there that I would love to try. I've have my eye on the 3 Bean Salad with the artichokes! Many thanks for stopping by and for your lovely comments.You are too kind! Yes, I have boxes of scraps and they do come in handy....Hope you have a splendid week. Take care,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda! Just popping in to see what's new. Saw these on Facebook a while back and love them! Such a great idea! Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Diane,
    So nice to hear from you. Thank you! These paper gift card envelopes are so easy, whip up quickly and actually a lot of fun! I made up a batch to have on hand. All is well here, hope everything is going well with you too! Thanks for stopping by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are so gorgeous, I love them

    Why haven't I ever thought of sewing paper?? I shall have to add it to my crafting ideas notebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Rae! Paper is so fun to experiment with! From paper bags to the vast array of scrap booking paper available--possibilities are endless! Glad to see you are posting once again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Linda, love your blog and so enjoyed my visit. I sent you an email as I received my tea cup. LOVE everything.
    Love your creations and your talent is inspiring. I have created sewing on papers and it is so much fun.
    I am now a new follower and hope to see you again soon.
    Thanks again and my email says so much more!!
    Hugs and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for stopping by my blog for the teacup exchange. I'm so glad you did, because I got a chance to see these wonderful crafts. You have given me some good ideas. Thank you for the inspiration, and I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda, thank you for stopping by, It looks like you have taken a break from blogging. I was going to give you one more tip on sewing cushions. When you have the fabric nice and tight, it is hard to get the foam in soooooo.....I wrapped the foam in a dry cleaning bag and it slid right in...Good luck

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love sewing on paper!!! I am definitely inspired. Thank you for following my blog. I followed you back. So nice to meet a fellow craft lover!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete