Night before last, I cut out all of the pieces to make two tote bags. I purchased the grey and yellow chevron fabrics a couple of days ago on sale and immediately thought what a cute bag they would make!
The first bag should have taken no longer than one-and-a-half hours tops, but of course there was the unexpected....I practiced a few stitches on a scrap piece of fabric and I did not like the way they looked. I wanted perfect little stitches because let's face it--if you're gonna top stitch, it has to be perfect or darn near close to perfect. Well, they looked wobbly, so I threaded, unthreaded and rethreaded a dozen times to see if I could have possibly made a threading mistake. Afterall, it is only the second time using my new sewing machine.
Nothing seemed to change until I realized that the little disc/ doohickey that you put over the spool of thread was laying on my table. Aha! So I put that on, and my stitches looked much better.
Everything went pretty smoothly from there except for when my dog decided to lay on my foot pedal. She likes to be very close to me at all times! We came close to having my right hand machine-appliqued to the front of this tote bag!
I really like the way it turned out. I emailed a photo of it to my daughter and she said it would look cool with a monogram. I think she is right except I have not learned how to use that function on my sewing machine yet. Another day!
Stay tuned as I learn to use more stitches and the monogramming function on my new sewing machine. Before I do that though, I need to run back to the store to buy some bobbins. It only came with two and my others are not the right style # for the machine. I thought Singer bobbins were universal--apparently not!
Linking up with:
Click here! Share Your Cup Thursday #105