Monday, April 14, 2014

Sweet Vintage Rose


A rose is a rose is a rose.....



I love roses! Since Mother Nature is not quite ready to provide me with the floral eye candy I long for, I decided that today I would make some roses of my own. 


I have quite a large stash of lining fabrics as well as many other synthetic scraps of fabric and laces. For today's sample I picked a pink synthetic (probably lining fabric) and some cream colored tulle.


I cut circles from each of the synthetic fabrics in various sizes in the 3" to 4'' size. They do not have to be perfectly round.


Next I cut into the circles about 3/4" in about 5 places around the circle. Some I only cut in 3 places and I also left a circle of each size without cuts.


Then I held each petal, one-at-a-time, over a small votive candle and melted the edges. Once the darker edge appears, I know that the edge has melted and sealed. Then I also apply the heat to the center of the "petal" and I find this step really makes the petal appear lifelike!

*****IMPORTANT!!If you try this, you should work next to a water source (I worked right next to the kitchen sink but have even placed my candle in the kitchen sink) and you should use extreme caution so that you do not get burned. The petal can be held a safe distance away from the flame and the desired result will still be achieved. (The fabric must have a high synthetic content so that it melts rather than burns.) 


Here is my pile of petals. The tulle petals are to the right and difficult to see in this photo. The tulle petals add a very nice vintage touch because of the way it melts. Use extra caution with tulle and hold it up quite a distance away from the heat source as this fabric melts very quickly! 


At this point I have enough petals so I started to stack them. I use an uncut petal on the bottom and it has been gently curled by the heat of the candle which helps to support the petals that will be placed on top of it.


Stack some more. There is no set way to do this. I place the tulle in a couple of places to lend support to the other petals and to add that perfect vintage look to the bloom.


Here is another layer of tulle.


The flower begins to take shape.


Once I have the desired fullness I hand sew a few stitches through the layer at the center. (I just realized that the flower looks like a morning glory when it is flipped over.)


Now I take it and arrange the petals a bit.


At this point it, a circle of felt can be glued on to the back of the flower and a pin can be either glued or sewn on so it can be worn. It can also be embellished further with a rhinestone, or a vintage button.....really so many ways to make this a wearable piece of art.

These also look sweet attached to a wrapped gift, to a headband or ponytail elastic, etc.


It is surprisingly pretty and almost looks real. One can easily be made in about a half hour This particular bloom will be a pin. 

Now.....if I could just create the lovely scent! For that, I guess I will have to wait for Mother Nature. I suspect I won't have to wait long! In the meantime, I will make my own. 


"Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet."
Katherine Lee Bates


Linking up with:


The Dedicated House

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is gorgeous! I've never seen how to make one and wouldn't have know to make the cuts so that it makes petals. I don't know if I'm brave enough to try this or not. You are so creative my friend! Enjoy your afternoon! We just got back from a hike and I'm beat! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! I truly appreciate the tutorial and will definitely have to try my hand at making some for my crafts :) Thank you, sweet Linda!

    May you have a blessed Easter! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make these all the time, but I've never melted the centers or melted tulle. Thanks for something new to try =) Your rose is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete