Thursday, November 7, 2013

Apple Cake Among Other Things




One can only flaunt an easy-to-bake apple cake recipe in front of me for so long before I bite...... and bite I did.

A one-bowl apple cake recipe has been making the rounds on Facebook being shared between my friends and friends of friends.... This morning I decided to bake one while my husband was teaching his early class.


(should have poured the batter into 2 round pans)

As promised, it went together easily, using only one bowl but then things went awry. I did not read the last few directions and I baked the cake in a tube pan. It should have been baked in a 9x13 pan or (2) 8X8's. When I sliced into the cake and saw cake batter oozing out, I realized I should have paid better attention to the directions and was instantly reminded of an experience I had in elementary school. I could almost hear my kindergarten teacher shriek at me, "YOU DID NOT FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!"



Yes, my kindergarten teacher hollered at me.  One day (many years ago) she told us to get out our crayons (HOW I LOVED THOSE CHUNKY CRAYONS!!!!)  while she passed out a mimeographed (remember that term???) paper to the class which had the outline of a chimpanzee on it. She clearly said to color the monkey brown. So I colored my monkey brown as directed, but then dressed him in a very nice, multi-colored plaid vest. Then I colored in some knickers. I was so proud of the coloring job I had done! He was one smartly dressed chimpanzee!

We handed them in and my teacher started to look through the pile of papers. When she got to my paper she pulled it out of the pile and tore into me in front of the entire class as though I had committed the crime of the century. She called my name and held up my paper and screamed at me that I did not follow her directions. I sobbed with my head on my desk, and several minutes later, still sobbing, the very sweet, little boy next to me whispered, "I really like your monkey." I think he felt really sorry for me. My kindergarten teacher could have used a lesson in compassion from this 5 year old boy. 

Anyways, I didn't follow directions yet again, and my apple cake was not baked through so I put it back in the oven to try and salvage it. It is edible but not terribly "photogenic" so I will spare you the photos!

Moving on, I recently ordered lots of Creative Twist to begin making some angels for Christmas. The holidays will be here before we know it and I have a lot of gifts and ornaments to make! 


You may recall these angels from a Christmas post last year:








I made these angels many years ago and they have held up very well. The hangers are made from craft wire that is curled. (I wrapped it around a pencil to get the curled effect.) This time around I will use a heavier craft wire. I also have some ideas to "freshen" their design up a bit and can't wait to get started. I need to make a trip to Joanne's to pick up a few more supplies. I will post as soon as I complete a few.


"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
Aesop

2 comments:

  1. I love apple cake but it does take a long bake time to get it done through. I know you enjoyed it. And I love your sweet little angels. I have so many ideas for Christmas sewing...hope I have enough time! Enjoy your evening my friend. We've been on the go so much that I haven't been on the computer as much. Sending you some extra hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your angels are so cute. So nice to be able to make things that last the years!

    ReplyDelete