Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Another Take on Mom's Spinach Pie

Spinach Pie Take 2



Last summer I introduced you to my mom's spinach pie. That's what I was craving for dinner tonight. I really did not want to use my oven as it has been too warm and humid today, but when I crave spinach pie, I just have to have it! I tweaked the original recipe (which can be found HERE ) I added 1can of artichoke hearts, and instead of 2 bags of spinach I used one bag of frozen broccoli florets and 1 bag of spinach.  I also added 1 extra egg and a tad more garlic. 



While that was baking in the oven I grabbed a bag of organic mixed spring greens and made a quick salad. To the greens I added blueberries and sliced strawberries. I sprinkled chopped almonds on top.




I realized that I did not have any gorgonzola or blue cheese to sprinkle on top.  Oh no! :( 

Spinach pie baked for about 50 minutes....it was nicely browned around the edges and it smelled oh so good!




Looking through the refrigerator for a specific balsamic vinaigrette,
I happened to find a gorgonzola/pear vinaigrette! PERFECT!




Poured on some gorgonzola/pear vinaigrette and tossed the salad! It really tasted like I had added the cheese!
Dinner was so good tonight! You really have to try this. It is such a versatile dish...and a favorite dish in this household!
What other ingredients could I use? I am thinking pesto might be good, maybe adding zucchini.....


We ate on the porch. We were serenaded by an approaching thunderstorm which has become part of the daily routine over the past couple of weeks. It is still raining....I don't mind rain but I admit it is beginning to get old.

Linking this recipe up with:

 Fluster Buster's Creative Muster #27
Click HERE. Looks like a lot of talent showed up at the party this week! Check them all out!

Family Home and Life's Wow Us Wednesday Click HERE . Lots to check out here each week!

Ivy and Elephants' What's it Wednesday #81. Click HERE! Check out the party!

Sweet and Savoury Sunday

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that all looks Delicious! How fun thunder storms while you dine! I know, I know, not fun after awhile, but It's dry and 107 here right now, so it kind of sounds good! Glad came over from the Linky party! Love your blog!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your spinach pie looks yummy. I need to try this. Following you back via GFC and blog login.
    Have a great 4th.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks delicious! I would love to try to make the spinach pie...I would probably want to eat the whole thing though! lol I mentioned you on my blog today! Stop by when you get a minute! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a wonderful meal; my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete