Monday, June 3, 2013

Heart-to-Heart


Easy Sewing Project--Perfect for Beginners!


Today I crafted a set of heartstrings to tuck in with a gift I am giving to a friend. These are so easy to construct from scraps of fabric and trim.


Cut out some basic heart shapes....you will need a front and back for each heart and one heart cut out from cotton batting,


Gather some odds and ends trim.


Begin sewing trims on in random slanted directions.


Since I will be gluing some additional trims on in a bit, it is time to make a heart sandwich. Place the batting between the heart front  (right side facing you) and the heart back (right side facing outwards)


Heart Sandwich! Hold the mayo....


Stitch around the entire heart through all layers. This does not have to be perfect. You may want to pin the layers together to hold in place while sewing.


Add some additional trim,,,,,


Now repeat the procedure using random placements of trim. Make your sandwich again.


Here my hearts are pinned and I am stitching all around the heart. Hold down the trim as you go ....


Here they are! Cute little hearts, aren't they? But we are not quite done. Next add some stitching in random places which adds a little quilted effect.


These little hearts can be used to embellish many things...


Gift Bag #1


Gift Bag #2


Hearts can be placed on a grapevine wreath....



Add some lace and you have heartstrings!


They can be hung across a valance....


...or they can be hung anywhere that you would like a little homespun/vintage look....Just a thought--they look adorable handing above entryways, around lamps, over a framed  primitive or vintage painting or sampler. I have also hung them vertically on twine between windows. So cute!


I just love these heartstrings....I have a similar set that I made last year hanging in my dining room across the top of my curtains. Here is a link to that post: CLICK HERE TO SEE
These are so fun and easy to whip up, they make gifts just a little extra special and it is a great way to use up tiny bits of laces, beading, ribbons and other trims. So dig out your scraps and whip some up! 

So as I mentioned, this is going to be enclosed with a gift. Once I get the package together I will share that with you as well. It should make for a nice, special presentation!  

"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."
Albert Einstein

Linking this post up with:
Cozy Little House's  Tweak it Tuesday #43, Click HERE
Coastal Charm's Nifty Thrifty Tuesday #166, Click HERE
Fluster Buster's  Creative Muster Party #23 Click HERE
Sew Chatty Made with Love Linky Party Click HERE

9 comments:

  1. Oh my! More beautiful hearts! Thanks for telling us how to make them, too. They are very pretty on the lace to hang. I like that homespun type fabric...perfect for your hearts! Happy creating! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hearts are so beautiful Linda! I love the lace on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet your hearts!Love the colors and laces!Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe these are so cute! Cheers from your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son has been asking a lot of questions about sewing. I think I might give him a chance to try it with this project. Thank you for coming by and sharing this on Fluster Buster's Creative Muster Party.

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, if your son does try this please let me know--I would love to post his completed project on my blog. Thanks for stopping by,
      Linda
      mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

      Delete
  6. This is super cute Linda, and right up my alley- beginner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mandy--you should give it a whirl! Fun, easy and quick! Instant gratification!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete