Monday, June 10, 2013

Countdown to Graduation....and empty nest....



Calling all pink stuff....

The countdown is on....my youngest daughter is graduating form high school on June 21st. Her two older sisters graduated in 2001 and 2005. It feels odd to me. I never thought this day would arrive, I guess. How can one be so glad yet a tad sad at the same time?

She has assumed dual roles in the family as the youngest or baby of the family and as an only child. Both of her sisters have graduated from college and live on their own. I guess she has had the best of both worlds! At any rate I am sad and glad to see her go away to college and also very excited to see what opportunities open up for her down the road. She is one very determined young lady with a very mature, disciplined work ethic. Her time management skills are remarkable! So are her shopping skills but that is an entirely different story!

Anyways, we are throwing her a graduation bash! She wants it to have a PINK theme. Her high school colors are orange and black (yuk) and the college she will be attending is royal blue and green (eh) but she has her heart set on pink, so pink it is! I am used to pink--after all I have three girls, but of the three, she is definitely the "pinkest"!


More pink decorations!


To decorate the dessert table: some pink lollipops for the youngest guests...

I am working on a pink banner and other decorations, getting the menu together, etc. It will be a buffet style luncheon with a PINK dessert table and PINK beverage table! Stay tuned--there will be photos! 

Hoping mama bird (that's me) can keep emotions in check over the next several days! My song will be somewhere between that of a mourning dove and the first robin of spring. 


"The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence."
Denis Waitley





11 comments:

  1. It's hard watching your family grow up and leave home ... but it's also very liberating! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time preparing for the party and celebrating your daughter's wonderful achievements. As you know, time flies so quickly when kids are growing up, so treasure these moments with a happy and pride filled heart.
    Congratulations to your baby and you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Diane! We are extremely proud of all that she has accomplished. The "glad" really does outweigh the "sad". You are right that time does fly!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right! It is bittersweet. Wishing you the best of luck with the party and all her festivities! Pink is a great color :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jeanna, really looking forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda,
    Visiting you and all of your pink! I love pink too-pink flamingos-thank you for stopping by!!
    My four children have all graduated from college, the youngest just one month ago and she got married!
    I know how you are feeling so bittersweet. I am feeling a bit misplaced at the moment!
    Best of luck you can't go wrong with pink!!
    Happy Hugs-
    jemma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jemma! I have received several comments and emails from empty nesters. Guess we are all in this together. I suspect I will find things to keep me busy plus I have a wedding to help my oldest daughter plan. I love pink as well and your flamingo cups were the cutest.
    Thanks for stopping by,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, looks like the party will be a success! Thanks for stopping by my page, your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thank you too! I will be back for sure!

      Delete
  9. Oh, you'll have such fun with this party! Looks like you've found some pretty things already. I raised 4 sons so this is foreign to me. I didn't really even enjoy girly stuff until the past 20 years! HAVE FUN! And congrats to your sweet daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL...lots of blue instead of pink...I did not know you had 4 boys! Thank you, she is quite ready to be done with high school!

    ReplyDelete