Sunday, May 26, 2013

Seasonal Confusion Disorder--Seeking Comfort in Unseasonable Ways

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

Comfort Food--Spinach Mac and Cheese with Basil and Tomatoes

I think I may have this. Seasonal Confusion Disorder. Though causing me much misery this weekend, it is not life threatening and God willing, very likely to pass.

Is is Spring or not? Feels more like fall. I live in New Hampshire. (The live, freeze or die state)The sky has been cloudy and gray all weekend. The wind is blowing fiercely. It has rained, poured, drizzled and misted for 72 hours or more. Only last week we were enjoying temperatures in the high 70's, nearly 80 and then the week ended on a very chilling note. The temps have fallen to the high 30's and 40's at night. It has snowed in surrounding towns. I can tell you that I do not want to see one flippin' snowflake. If I do, I will deny it!

Last night I was forced to raid my winter clothing already neatly packed away 'till next fall. I pulled out a pair of Land's End fleece pajamas (fire engine red, in fact), donned a pair of heavy socks and sported a microwaveable rice pack around my neck.

....and tonight I was driven to cook for comfort so I made one killer Spinach, Macaroni and Cheese for dinner tonight. My recipe stash of comfort food is usually reserved for September. But the chill in the air has me longing for all those comfort foods of fall. Before you know it, I will be baking pumpkin bread and drinking hot mulled cider.

Please spring, come back! These symptoms of Seasonal Confusion Disorder have me needing to retreat, hibernate. Is this happening to you too?


HOW TO TELL IF YOU SUFFER FROM SEASONAL CONFUSION DISORDER 

COMMON SYMPTOMS

  • Not sure if it is Spring or Fall
  • Chilled to the bone in typical spring clothing, resorting to sweaters and sweatshirts, warm socks
  • Feeling the need to add just one more blankie to your bed
  • Crawling back into your winter fleece or flannel pj's, socks or slippers needed too!
  • Urges to eat comfort food usually reserved for fall and winter months, i.e. soups, stews, other hot dishes
  • Turning on the heat--I mean cranking it to 70 degrees
  • Drinking hot beverages
  • Retreating indoors (on Memorial Day weekend no less!)
  • Soaking in a hot bath
  • Feeling the urge to place your cold feet next to something warm--like your husband's nice warm feet (this really irritates my husband)
I am afraid I suffer from all of the above. If you are too, at least you are not suffering alone. Thankfully, I have been told that sun and relative warmth will return by mid week if I live that long.

I have to say that this macaroni and cheese dish did help! It is your typical homemade mac and cheese dish but I added 1 package of frozen organic spinach, along with dried basil, black pepper and lots of parsley. It was delicious!

I am now however, ready to crawl into another pair of fleece pj's,  light some candles, make myself a cup of hot tea and snuggle with a cozy quilt while reading my favorite magazine, Mary Janes Farm.
It is a magazine packed with crafts and sewing ideas, back to basics common sense and yummy recipes. Perhaps I will even sew a stitch or two. All are reasonable ways to beat the unseasonable weather we have been experiencing.

Have a pleasant evening, enjoy the rest of the Memorial Day Weekend,  don't forget to thank a veteran and say a prayer for all of our military in and out of harms way. God bless America! My home sweet home!

"Weather forecast for tonight: dark."
George Carlin

"Don't knock the weather, nine-tenths of the people could not start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while."
Kim Hubbard

"If you want to see the sunshine, you have to weather the storm."
Frank Lane


Linking this post to:
Sew Darn Crafty Linky Party--Sew Many Ways  Join the Party Here!

4 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy! It's warming up some here now...I think it got to 70 today but I still feel a bit of the chill. Tomorrow I'm going to put a roast and veggies in the crock pot. I think that will taste good. Pour me a cup of tea please! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, sorry, you're a No-Reply blogger, so I couldn't respond directly, but thanks for entering my giveaway :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I think I am suffering from this same thing...LOL
    It's been crazy weather...hot, cold....I am not sure what to wear. Here's to a
    more defined Spring. Your comfort food looks amazing...perfect to indulge in on a chilly day. xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I too suffer from Seasonal Confusion Disorder. It's not pleasant, even if it's not deadly. I live in Wisconsin--we can go from summer to winter and back in one day! This made me laugh! The mac n cheese sounds really good too. I'll keep it in mind for our next summer to winter day.

    ReplyDelete