Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Forcing Spring!


--Forsythia--


Spring is having a little difficulty arriving in NH this year. It tried to warm up a bit and then we were thrown back into freezing, winter-like temperatures. Snowflakes were flying yesterday, rain and hail just the day before.... The wind has been crazy for the past two days! I have been forced back into my Lands End fleece!
A few weeks back a friend of mine cut  some bare branches of forsythia for me and told me that if I put them in water they would blossom. Surprise! They sure did! I never knew this could be done. It took about a week. These particular branches have since died but if spring does not arrive to stay very soon, I am going back outside and cutting some more branches off my own bushes. I will put them in every room of my house. I could sure use some Spring even if it is only spring inside!



"The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another. The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month."
Henry Van Dyke

3 comments:

  1. Your flowers look gorgeous! And I love that quote! (I'm hoping for a spring day soon!)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they are a bit past their prime in these photos. But I did not know that they could be forced to bloom! Good to know! Thanks for stopping by Susan!

      Delete
  2. How pretty! I love forsythia and didn't know you could do this! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete