Friday, March 8, 2013

Streamers

RECITAL DECORATIONS, SKATING SHOW DECORATIONS

Representing OCEANS

Our skating show has 10 groups representing various elements in nature. Decorating the rink has always been a challenge due to the immense size of the rink. So I realized that in order to add a "splash" of color I would have to come up with a plan that would cover a large amount of space and not cost a small fortune.

Streamers are very colorful but the humidity in the rink tends to cause the crepe paper variety to droop by the end of the first show. For last years show, I machine stitched 3 layers of crepe paper together and these streamers held up for both shows. BUT it was very time consuming and tedious....I sewed miles of streamers for that show. I also used a gathering stitch so they were ruffled which was also very time consuming.

I saw streamers on pinterest made out of plastic tablecloths so I decided to give it a try....this was the first set of streamers I made for "OCEANS".



By stretching the plastic gently (almost as though you are crimping pie-crust) you can get a seaweedy ruffled effect...


 I then cut circles out of paper to make bubble garlands...



First set of streamers completed....here is a look at a few more.....


SPRING!




Spring has sprung...onto to Autumn....Ellie always has to be the center of attention!


Double doors really come in handy for this project! These streamers are actually twice the width shown. I have them folded in half to make the cutting move along more quickly....I cut through 4 layers at once. The actual size is 54" X 108".



I love autumn colors.....

I now have 7 sets completed....will be working on summer today and will post some photos later....

Speaking of summer, well, it seems so far off. Today I woke up to a beautiful, new, white blanket of snow
on the ground. It is the heavy, wet snow that sticks to the tree branches. It is so beautiful but I must say I have the worst case of spring fever ever! I don't mind the snow but I am really looking forward to warmer temperatures and the first signs of spring...


UPDATE--more streamers and show extras


These streamers represented out forest group....


green leaves traced onto construction paper and kraft paper bags


Here they are folded in quarters--storing then until the show!


To see how they looked in rink click on this link and scroll down to show photos:  SHOW

bowtie and cumberband for boys costume

We needed a yellow bow tie and cumberband and could not find a yellow set anywhere--so I made one. These rolls of organza come in very handy. Purchased at Joanne Fabrics.


Then our forest group needed a head prop. These rolls of organza and tulle worked very well....


I made up these headbands as I went a long.....sew a strip of 3 layers of fabric on rolls above.
Folded the strips in half.....sewed in a set of gathering threads...


cut out random leave shapes all the way across the strip....


pulled up the gathering stitches....



hot-glued to dollar store headbands....



Added ribbons....


many more to make....

dance recital headbands

A whole forest full of headbands....


These are hand props for our sunshine group....small embroidery hoops, wrapped in yellow fabric and then
yellow, orange and pink streamers made from ribbons looped over and through the hoops...


really looks like fire--will add some nice color!


Wrist ribbons easily looped over a hair tie, these can be worn on the wrist or added to hand held props. These were made for our star group and they are holding small stars and the ties will be added to the handles of the stars. Their costumes are red sequinned dresses with large silver stars on one side.

dance recital accessories

All together they add a splash of color! So easy to make....

These were wrist ribbons for the darkness group. They had black dresses with silver trim.

No comments:

Post a Comment