Thursday, November 29, 2012

Lighting up the Christmas Tree



Love to sit in the living room by tree light....almost done decorating the tree...a few more ornaments to hang.


Our angel topper--I still see plenty of spaces for the remaining ornaments....


I love the way you can see the outline of the angels body through her dress when the lights are on. This angel is from a prior post.click here for angel post


Even the Santa ornaments look better when the tree is lit!click here to see Santa post

The electric candles are in the windows, the greenery is hung and lit around the windows and French doors. Almost done decorating the living room for Christmas! Next on the list is the dining room. Nothing too much, just some simple candles in the windows, some greenery around the chandelier, a wreath, Christmas linens and candles. Then a few decorations tucked here and there....

Because Thanksgiving was so early this year, I feel like I have a jump start on Christmas and plenty of time to accomplish all that needs to be done. I am making some Christmas gifts, I also want to do lots of Christmas baking, and I do love to Christmas shop. I ordered some things online of course but I still plan to do a lot of local shopping as well.

Tonight after I get home from the skating rink, I will relax by the light of the Christmas tree with a mug of hot mulled cider. It helps me to warm up after a few hours at the cold (and I mean COLD) rink!

SPEEDY HOT MULLED CIDER
To make a speedy cup of hot mulled cider, just pour some apple cider into your mug. Add  smidgeons (not sure if smidgeon is a real word and if it is, not sure that I have spelled it correctly) of brown sugar and then cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to taste. Heat it up in the microwave! Smells so good, tastes so yummy!

A Little Note on Smidgeon

I just had to look it up. I do not like misspelled words. I am constantly reading through all of my old blog entries to make sure I edit and correct any mistakes in spelling. So I was compelled to look smidgeon up. Turns out that it really is a word and there are three accepted spellings of the word:  smidgen, smidgin and the way I spelled it--smidgeon. It is defined as "a very small quantity, a bit or mite." You never know when you might need to know that smidgeon of information!

Of course, when I hit the spell check button, the only indication of a spelling error was "smidgeon"--the way I spelled it. I did check the dictionary so even the spell checker can be wrong!

Hope you all have had a wonderful day and may you all get to relax by the light of your Christmas tree this evening!


"I have been looking on this evening, at a merry company of children assembled round that pretty German toy, a Christmas tree. The tree was planted in the middle of a great round table, and towered high above their heads. It was brilliantly lighted by a multitude of little tapers; and everywhere sparkled and glittered with bright objects."
Charles Dickens



1 comment:

  1. Your tree is so pretty. I still haven't put mine up. I was doing good, but I seemed to have hit a speed bump LOL. Well I still have time. In the meantime I'll enjoy yours. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete