Thursday, October 18, 2012

Trying to Remember the Days of September


My favorite time of year has come and gone...that span of time that begins in September and ends around the middle of October. Somehow it has passed me by without so much as making one apple-picking trip, a loaf of pumpkin bread, sewing fall crafts....all those wonderful things I love about early fall did not get done this year. I just went outside to take my annual fall photos and realized the leaves had already fallen to the ground. I missed that beautiful golden moment that I blogged about some time ago.



This was last year....2011



This year.... 2012

It has really been a rough few months. Aside from losing my beautiful dog, I have also been struggling with chronic, severe headaches and neck/shoulder pain. This has been going on for about five years but over the past year or so, things have gotten progressively worse. A few months back I finally gave in and found some relief with pain medicines. The problem with pain medicine is that it renders me useless and of course I cannot drive or really leave the house.

 The diagnosis is Dystonia and I am learning a lot about this painful disorder. Probably more than I ever cared too, but I suppose it is important to educate oneself so that decisions can be made and coping mechanisms can be learned--because well... life does go on.....

More recently I began to have Botox injections to try and relieve the overactivity in the neck muscles that causes the neck pain and headaches. Physical therapy was started a couple of weeks ago but the headaches and nausea came back with a vengeance so my neurologist asked me to stop physical therapy and take it easy for at least two weeks to see if this latest round of injections offers me any relief. I am hoping for the best!

I can feel quite normal on good days but I never know when they will come. I know that when I overdo on a good day trying to catch up from a week of bad days, I can always expect to follow with a day from hell. 

I am finding my responsiblities overwhelming at times and I want to continue my life without this imposition on my health. I do have to make some changes in my life as there is no balance right now between work and play. I just have not had enough time to pursue the things that I find therapeutic like.... sewing! 

I will be back in a couple of weeks with more sewing projects because I have to--it's just the best therapy, and I will be opening my shop on ETSY.....but right now I have to get the new season underway for the skating club. My phone rings off the hook, forms are now arriving in the mail and there is much to be done. It should be an exciting year! I always look forward to the annual show and I plan to make  banners for that as I have in the past. I will be posting photos of the banner process over the coming months.

So for those of you who have sent me gmails asking if I have dropped off the face of the earth, I am still here and plan to get back to sewing as soon as  I can! I did take some time last night to make an apple pie and a pumpkin pie--so I am slowly but surely getting back on track. Thank you for continuing to visit me and your gmails are always a bright spot in my day! Happy Autumn!


"There's just something about the combination of a brisk but sunny day, drinking hot mulled cider, and searching through pallets of bright orange pumpkins and finally finding the perfect ones to take home. Year after year it never gets old."

1 comment:

  1. Linda,
    I didn't know about your troubles and I'm sorry you are having such a time lately. Make a promise to be good to yourself and take the time to rest as in many cases that's what our body is asking for.

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete