Saturday, August 25, 2012

Spinach Pie--So So Yummy!



This is so delicious!  The recipe for this delicious spinach pie is in a book that my mom gave me. It contains
handwritten recipes that my mom made while we were growing up. This is one of my favorites dishes!


Here is the recipe in my mom's handwriting....


You can see it gets used a lot because there are spills on this page! The steps are shown below:


Cook 2 packages of frozen spinach. I have also used fresh spinach. When I do, I use 2 of the large plastic containers of fresh, organic spinach. 


Set aside to drain well....


Take 3 pieces of bread and break up into pieces.


Place bread pieces in bowl and add enough water to moisten the bread well.


It should look something like this....not all that appetizing to look at, at this point....


Add 3 eggs.


Add 8 oz of cottage cheese and 8oz extra sharp cheddar cheese. (I add an extra 4 oz  or more of cheddar)


Mix well....


Add drained, cooked spinach, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. I used about 1/8 tsp garlic powder. I
ran out of fresh garlic. When I use fresh garlic in this recipe I chop up 2-3 cloves of garlic.


Pour into a oiled, deep pie dish....(this dish is actually a shallow casserole dish), top with fresh tomatoes.
Place in the oven and bake for 50 min at 350 degrees.


Soon you will smell the deliciousness baking in your oven and you will be compelled to take a peak. There was still 15 minutes left to bake at this point. It smelled so good!


Since I still have quite a few garden fresh tomatoes to use up, I will cut some up along with a fresh cucumber. Drizzled with olive oil and organic apple cider vinegar, pepper and parsley--makes a nice side dish.


We love fresh summer produce!


Here is the spinach pie--finally out of the oven!


Dinner is served! YUM!

This spinach pie is not only delicious, the ingredients can literally be thrown together in a matter of a few minutes. You can try adding other ingredients too--be creative. I used artichokes in the last spinach pie I made--just when I thought delicious couldn't get any better. Additionally, broccoli can be substituted for spinach and voila--Broccoli Pie. Pie crust can also be used with this recipe. 

No matter what you use--broccoli or spinach--I promise it will disappear quickly. Want proof?



We will fight over the remaining portion tomorrow! It warms up nicely in the microwave for a tasty lunch.

For another version of my Mom's Spinach Pie, CLICK HERE!


"What do you do when a tomato goes on strike?
You pick it!"
unknown

"Shall I not have intelligence with the earth? Am I not partly leaves and vegetable mould myself?"
Henry David Thoreau

Linking up to:

From The Farm Blog Hop





4 comments:

  1. I think this will be a dish my hubs and I will really like. Thanks for posting it Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you via Diane @ The Checkered Apple! I'm your newest GFC follower. Loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Spinach and this pie looks great! I cherish all my late Mom's recipes which were handwritten :-) Thank you for sharing this at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really delicious!

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete