Thursday, August 16, 2012

Beginning to Resemble a Quilt and Other Golden Moments



I know, it's not completed yet, and what is completed, isn't perfect. But it is beginning to look like a real quilt, and it's my first! I am excited!


Some lessons learned so far:  the 1/4" seam allowance is EXTREMELY important! Since I have been working on multiple projects that require me to change the position of my sewing machine needle, I must have  forgotten to position my needle back in the left most position. If you are using your pressure foot to be your gauge in accurate 1/4" seam allowances, this can be a real problem. (AS I FOUND OUT) Not every seam lined up perfectly....My next quilt will be perfect!

Also, I realized that tiny errors in seam allowance and size of blocks can be worked into the seam allowance as you sew one row to another if you are careful. There is some give and take, thankfully!

The last thing I noticed is that it is much easier to cut threads as you go, rather than to realize you have threads all over the place once a row is sewn together. Cut all threads as soon as you notice them and you will have a neater work space as well as quilt top that doesn't have threads sewn into the seams.


Thus far I have sewn three rows together to form a quilt top that will measure 40" across and 30" down. I believe I will add two more rows and have a finished quilt of 40" x 50". I am very anxious to get this project done. I want to move on to a quilted wall hanging for fall--my very favorite time of year! I love the colors of fall.

I am already thinking about pumpkin bread and hot mulled apple cider. I love the way my house smells when pumpkin bread is baking in my oven. I have the best recipe for pumpkin bread and it makes three loaves. I usually toss one loaf in the freezer and the other two loaves disappear rather quickly. I will post the recipe at a later date!

Looking forward to crisp, cool mornings and a yard of colors like this:


Memories of last fall--I love the color that the trees in my yard turn to!!! Beautiful autumn splendor!!


A Golden Moment


This is one of my favorite trees. I can see it from my kitchen window. It is just "ablaze" in the
fall!


ALWAYS IN MY HEART

And of course dear Willie! His favorite time of year! Cooler temperatures! He loved being outside under his favorite tree as the temperatures dropped. I will be missing you Willie!


"A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart."
Hal Borland

3 comments:

  1. I've heard quilters say that all quilts have a multitude of mistakes...but it doesn't make it any less beautiful. I love the colors you are using and the design. I know you'll be proud of it when you finish. One of these days I'm going to try to make one...I need to start with a doll quilt though! heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I'm so glad you put your blog name in your comment so that I can find you now! Thanks...and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda! Thanks for visiting Hooked On Needles and for your nice comment about my tote bags! They are fun to make, aren't they? Lovely blog you have here! I was scrolling through and had to do a double take to see that these fall pictures were from LAST year, not THIS year! I'm guessing you live not too far from me, and I sure have not seen the trees changing like that yet! Whew! I love fall, but all in good time!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete