Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Transforming Bedsheets to Curtains






My train of thought (short train) got derailed again today. I was packing some things away and came across two cream colored, twin, flat sheets. I had recently taken down a very pricey pair of prairie swags ($70 pr) from my windows in the dining room. Though they were a very pretty fabric, the lining was not sewn in properly (too large for the curtain) and they did not hang smoothly. I have had them hanging for about a year, but honestly, they really bugged me so I finally took them down. I can't believe I paid so much for something that was made so poorly!

I left empty windows for over a month and thought hanging some cream colored, floor length curtains might look nice and also give us some privacy.

I ripped open enough of the wide hem at the top of the sheet so that I could slip a curtain rod through just to see how it looked on one of the windows. Well, I loved the way it looked and it let just enough light in and still gave us the privacy we have never had in the diningroom.

So off  I headed to Walmart to buy two more. I have no idea why, but I grabbed four sheets (at $4.97 each) and when I got home I realized that the sheets were a slightly different shade of cream than the original pair. Luckily, I bought 4 so I had enough sheets to make 4 panels for 2 windows.


Twin Flat Sheets--2 per window.  WASH and DRY first.


One Ugly Window



Sew a 1 1/2" pocket to accomodate the curtain rod in the bottom of wide hem (top of sheet) which will
give a nice ruffle at the top of the curtain


Hang on curtain rod and determine the length--I want floor length--then begin pinning your hemline. Mine are not hemmed yet.


Less than $10.00 per window thus far--I am going to embellish them. But will still be considerably less than the $140 for the 2 pair that I didn't like! Still need to hem both pairs!


Adds a simplified look to the room--sorry a bit blurry;
Still need to determine how to trim them--narrow gold border???? Tiebacks????
I will post a photo when they are done.

"It was still quite light out of doors, but inside with the curtains drawn and the smouldering fire sending out a dim, uncertain glow, the room was full of deep shadows"
Kate Chopin

Linking this post to: 

 Creative Cain Cabin's Budget Decorating Party-- click here to check out the talent

The Everyday Home 's Home (work) Wednesday #3 Party-- Head on over to this party too!

Family Home and Life's  Wow Us Wednesday. Click HERE to visit and please feel free to leave comments as you visit each entry.

10 comments:

  1. Now that's the kind of project I love, quick and easy, seemed to be quite inexpensive also. They look great, will look forward to seeing what kind of trim you dress them up with. Think I'll be subscribing to your blog.
    I had some older white background with black window pane pattern, semi sheer. I wanted to lighten up the curtains in our room( after having heavy lined ones up for Winter) so I used them but made burlap valances for 4 panels and sewed another sheer curtain on back. I just used a press on tape for the valances as I was running out of thread in my bobbin. They turned out nice and full and the burlap valances give them a little something extra. Feel like I have new curtains. The burlap was on sale at Walmart for $2.99 a yard. I used about a yard for two valances as I'd had some burlap from other projects. Happy Days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen burlap for $2.99. That is a super price. Guess I will have to check it out! Thank you for stopping by!
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Your furry kidz are so sweet, I have feeling they're like your kids. I know our cat/dog are ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we only have one dog, we lost the other two over the years. However, they are always in our hearts and they were treated like a member of the family! Ellie, the dog we have now, is a wonderful addition to the family. Never a dull moment!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Debra. Also thanks for stopping by.
      Linda

      Delete
  4. IS YOUR TABLECLOTH A SHEET OR DID YOU MAKE IT FROM MATERIAL PLEASE SAY YOU BOUGHT IT.
    I HAVE USED SHEETS IN MY OLD HOUSE BUT DIDN'T MAKE THE ROD POCKET WHICH I LIKE MUCH BETTER. TOO BAD I WAS SO LAZY. .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw this featured and came over to take a look. I have such a hard time finding curtains I like, I might as well try and make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your panels look beautiful! I love the whole room--so cozy, warm and inviting! So glad I found your blog. :)

    Coincidentally, I'm about to go press two curtain panels from a rummage sale vintage flat sheet, for the spare bedroom. The way the floral pattern runs, the wide hem has to be at the bottom so I'm just folding over, pressing, and sewing a rod pocket/header into the end with the narrow hem. The matching fitted sheet is turning into throw pillow covers for the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh--and your Ellie looks a lot like our Sheba, also a rescue dog. She's a love. :)

    ReplyDelete