Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Promise is a Promise! Or is it?

My husband has a sense of humor that is really an acquired taste! It has taken me nearly 31 years to fully appreciate it and even after all this time, I admit that I occasionally have a temporary setback.

He often tells me as he heads out the door to work, "when I come home, I don't want to see that my flannel shirts have been made into curtains!" He chuckles as he says it with his usual "I am so proud of myself" grin and  I always respond, "yah, ha! ha!" I mean, it's only funny the first time, RIGHT?


But yesterday, he said something that really cracked me up. It was the seriousness of his tone.


I was ironing some pieces of the tote bag in yesterday's blog and I realized how unstable my ironing board had become. I mentioned to him that this ironing board had seen better days (30 years X 365 days to be exact) and I was now in the market for a newer model.

He replied, "so we're just gonna throw it away, right? You aren't going to repurpose it into something are you? The look on his face was dead serious.

I said 'No." I promise!"

He said, "Thank God!

Of course, he is away for a couple of days, and Pinterest has a million and one ways to repurpose pallets, ladders, dressers, windows etc. Certainly there must be something I can make from an old ironing board.....but a promise is a promise! Or is it?

"To promise not to do a thing is the surest thing in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing."  Mark Twain--The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, 1876.

2 comments:

  1. That's funny! Maybe if you did a good job of repurposing it...he wouldn't recognize it was your old ironing board! lol sounds like you need a new one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have been thinking evil (though creative thoughts) about how to repurpose it as a joke so I can have the last laugh but truthfully I've got nothin' and there really isn't anything online either. Guess I'm gonna have to let this one go!

      Delete