Friday, July 13, 2012

Square One!



I pulled out a large pile of quilting magazines and various learn to quilt books last night to try and come up with a very easy quilt pattern that would utilize my chosen fabrics as well as my very limited skill in the art of quilting.

I love Fon's & Porter's Easy Quilts magazines. It is probably my favorite. There are many quilting magazines out there and I have a bookcase full of them. I love that they label each quilt "easy", " beginner", "advanced", etc but the more I looked through the pile of magazines, the more I realized that their idea of "easy" was not my idea of easy. Fon's & Porter devotes an entire magazine to "easy quilts" so I am drawn to them for that reason.

I was pouring through their Easy Quilts, Fall 2009 Edition and found a pattern by Christine Herman called Autumn Log Cabin. It consists of a beautiful array of fall colors (I love fall colors!!) so it caught my attention immediately. It is described as easy to complete "in no time". Now that's my kind of quilt because that's about how much time I have to spend on this quilt.

I read through all directions and realized that the smallest square in the block would not work for my fabrics. One of my fabrics is made up of individual, small 3" squares (see fabric below--5th one down) that I was hoping to use as the smallest block. The measurements given in the magazine were for a 3 1/2" square.


Fabric is Heart of the Garden by Kim Schaeffer for Andover Fabrics, Inc.

After giving this much thought, I decided to use my 3" squares and just alter the measurements for the remaining pieces. So I am following the magazine pattern in theory, but using my own dimensions. Next time I will pick a pattern and then purchase the fabric.

I cut out several squares last night--they are cute as can be. There are so many different ones and I like that almost every block will be slightly different.


I then set out to cut each 2" strip individually so I will know the exact measurements I will need to cut out
all of the remaining 2" strips. I cut out just enough strips to form one block and I stitched them up this morning.

This is how the first block turned out:






That wasn't so hard! Now I will sit down and record all the measurements and cut all of the strips at once which will make this "easy" quilting project go much faster!


"The grace to being a beginner is always the best prayer for an artist. The beginner's humility and openness lead to exploration. Exploration lead to accomplishment. All of it begins at the beginning, with the first small and scary step."
Julia Cameron


UPDATE


3 blocks finished

4 comments: